StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday on my way home from the Adelaide toy run I let my 2012 DL650 have a short lie down. I am afflicted with a common ailment,ducks disease (legs too short) and can only get the balls of my feet on the ground when stationery. This is not normally a problem on regular roads. Picture a "T" junction with stop sign, had to stop for an oncoming car, put left foot down, no contact with road, oh dear, lie down time for bike! Thankfully I let her lie down gently on the sloping road without me underneath. I momentarily tried to stop her falling over but physics and non Herculean strength prevented that. Long story short, bike stalled, me unhurt but pissed off, big effort to stand bike up. Bike with minor scars,I love oggy knobs, scraped passenger footpeg and bar end weight. Another of life's experiences I guess, maybe I should have taken my Bandit 1250 instead, my feet are flat on the ground with that bike. Early next year the Bandit will have a sidecar attached, no more falling over again.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sorry for your miss-hap, Mike.
In have an opposite problem--now that Ive been on my '14 Vstrom1000 for almost 2 years, I'm no longer comfortable on a regular-height motorcycle. My beloved '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100, that I thought was comfortable all these years, now gives me leg cramps. Plus I'm now used to full instrumentation, ABS, TC, luggage, etc. I can no longer go back to a "regular" motorcycle.
I'd love to have a Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe...but I just know I wouldnt be comfortable on it during a long ride, so it would just sit in the garage while Im out riding the Vstrom.
i LOVE the B1250S! A smooth torque-monster, great highway flyer. I had a friend with one. His being a 6-speed, my ZRX being a 5-speed I knew it would be different. What I didnt expect was that torque, and at 80 mph his bike(we switched bikes on a ride) was taching 1000 rpm lower than mine. So smooth, so relaxed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't you just hate those moments of realization, when you just have to jump ship. Oil at stops, down hill slope, oh look at that. Theses are just merely scars of life, and I for one have many, all my bikes have been down more than once. If'n you aren't made like Arnie, you just gott'a let go. ??

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Yah, the Oh Sh-t moments are a bother.
IF you haven't done sidecaring before, mind the learning curve. It's a different world out there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Regarding those "gotta let it down" incidents: I've had a couple, instigated by suddenly stopping from a low speed turn. (From now on, damnit, once I've decide it's safe to go, I'll just go and maybe accelerate more if another vehicle shows up.) At that moment when I'm desperately trying to hold the bike up, with one foot and one hand while it's leaned too far, I have taken solace in the frame sliders installed shortly after I got the bike. On pavement, they pretty much keep the delicate parts from hitting the ground, and they are close enough to the bike's center of gravity that forces imparted on the parts that do touch are much reduced.

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frame sliders and bark busters are well worth the money after a very low speed or stationary bike lie down, glad I fitted mine. I sometimes think about a smaller, lighter bike than the DL650 then I take her for a ride and enjoy it so much changing bikes is forgotten.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I once came home after a mega-long work week, pulled into the garage, got off the bike and realized I hadn't put the side-stand down. Oops. Guided it down gently. Glad for those frame sliders and crash bars. No damage.

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thoughts exactly, I am over 60 years old now and like to think I have become wiser. Bike damage is not too hard to fix, physical body damage hurts a lot and takes a long time to get better. Already got too much previous damage to deal with without new problems!

·
Registered
357 Posts
60's . I have fond memories of my 60's . I usually don't care for lowering with links but I put 1.25 Kouba links on my 2011 DL650 and I was impressed . It handled great and the sidestand was actually better and my feet touched down better. I lowered the front about 1/2 inch by sliding the forks up in the triple clamps. Cheap way to lower a bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was about to start a new conversation until I saw this. I dropped mine last night. I rode for an hour and a half to get to my brother's house, put my foot down on his gravel driveway, and it was hard, ice-hard. I had stopped right over a pretty big frozen puddle. So, I couldn't stop the fall. The good news is a.) nobody saw this : ), and b.) it only took me a few minutes to slide it off the ice and right it up. My thoughts were that I am really grateful for the size and weight of this bike.

Now I just need to tighten that mirror again and look for some barkbusters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts