StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a putt today and got about 75 miles into my ride so pulled over for a pee and cracker break. Did a quick walk around my bike like I always do, and my frickin license plate was missing off the rear fender...... WTF?

I knew it was on the bike when I left the house because I remembered looking at it, so started back-tracking @ 40 MPH and the man upstairs was on my side because I found it laying in the middle of the road about 40 miles back, unharmed..... So slapped it back on with zip ties and finished my ride. Once home I permanently re-attached with SS hardware and copious amounts of red Loctite.

We all check our wheel axles, steering head, etc. Just don't forget about the small stuff too..... Go figure.

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
LOL I hear ya, I now attach my plate on both bikes with heavy duty zip ties.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My God, it vibrated something off and its not a Harley? Is that even possible?:green_lol:
I was gonna say the same, how would it vibrate itself out on a Strom!
Had the exact same happen to me once but on a Victory Vegas with a 1600cc vibration are pretty serious (though far less than a harley). It was my dad's friend bike who just bought it and had me ride it to the dealer to get it inspected. Put my plate on it, by the time i met them there at the dealer (30km = 18 mile) it was gone though i tightened it with 2 bolts! :jawdrop:

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
I was gonna say the same, how would it vibrate itself out on a Strom!
Had the exact same happen to me once but on a Victory Vegas with a 1600cc vibration are pretty serious (though far less than a harley). It was my dad's friend bike who just bought it and had me ride it to the dealer to get it inspected. Put my plate on it, by the time i met them there at the dealer (30km = 18 mile) it was gone though i tightened it with 2 bolts! :jawdrop:
The plate came loose and almost fell off my WR250R, but that sees an awful lot of bumps and rough roads. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
22,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I even dismounted and scrubbed the plate clean as part of restoring the Vee to operating status last Sunday. Using battery nuts and bolts to mount it. It's all I had handy.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Back in the day when real men road real motorcycles, loosing a plate was a common occurrence. :green_lol:
What works for me is using a metal plate frame mounted with four 6mm screws.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Good reminder. Several times a year, I spend a couple of hours in the garage on a rainy day and just double check all the bolts for tightness.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My God, it vibrated something off and its not a Harley? Is that even possible?:green_lol:
I lost mine the first year I had my VStrom, riding some rough jeep trails up Lanark way. Two keen riders backtracked to find it (I think they just wanted to get away from the slow, to them, riders and have a blast). They never found the plate (at probably 80 Kph on dirt). I bought a new one, but had to report the old one lost to the police before they would replace it. I told the police I lost it on the way to California.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Almost lost mine. Saw it at a rest area just barely hanging on with one very loose nut. Zip ties for me now too!

R

·
0 Posts
So the moral of the story is that those of us with tiny bladders are less likely to loose important stuff.
There is a silver lining to every dark cloud.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For what it's worth, mine had been on the bike since 2009 using those cheesy license plate reflector bolts with the tension springs and wing nuts. I've checked it before and found them loose but never replaced them as I didn't think it would ever completely fall off.....Yup, it will, lol.... So it's now bolted on with 12mm bolts, nuts, lock washers, and red Loctite.....

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I welded mine on after super-gluing it.

The duct tape made a bad smell during the welding but I think it'll hold.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I welded mine on after super-gluing it.

The duct tape made a bad smell during the welding but I think it'll hold.
I've resorted to scanning my license plate at 1200dpi and outputting the image through a flexographic printer loaded with 3M commercial grade adhesive based vinyl, with extra U/V coating. I then place my license plate "sticker" on the rear fender itself.

The original plate stays home locked in a fire/flood proof safe, you know, in case the whole damned rear fender come off and I need to scan it again..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts