StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some states have inspections just like we do here in VA. I took my bike in for my annual inspection today & was rejected due to a couple add-ons that have been added by either myself or the original owner. The one that I installed was a set of blinky lights since my K3 Vee doesn't have any. The ones I added are the same type that are on police cars, fire trucks & ambulances. Just mine are amber. I've double checked as many places as I can find & nope.....the K3 doesn't have an emergency flasher switch. I see where it SHOULD be, but it's just not there. On the K2 OR K3. BUT....it's on the K4 & up. So my question is how hard would it be to "modify" (add) that to my bike? I NEED emergency flashers for the one main specific reason that I bought it. So, other than the fact that the switch isn't there & a relay isn't there....what am I missing? Is it even possible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's as easy as finding the LH controls on Ebay, removing your stock unit and plugging it in the existing connector behind the radiator. You shouldn't need to ask how I know this.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I'm asking how you know this, but can I just "plug & play" with a K3? There has to be a relay somewhere.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The emergency flashers use the same relay as the turn signals.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I can't even tell you how retarded bureaucracy has become. Such huge amounts of fail.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Uh....WHAT?!?! :confused:
That if a bike comes without hazard signals, the DOT makes you install them. Isn't that what you said you have to do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That if a bike comes without hazard signals, the DOT makes you install them. Isn't that what you said you have to do?
Kind of. I originally bought the bike to work as a USA Cycling Motor Official riding with the cyclists in races. When I noticed that my K3 didn't come with them I went out & found some that I THOUGHT would work. I've since found out from the company that I bought them from (SUPER nice guys) that there are higher certifications than DOT. My lights fall into one of those higher certifications. They're getting the specs for me from the manufacturer so they can e-mail them to me early next week. I was told that they have them, but wanted to make sure that they give me the "latest & greatest". Can't fault 'em for that!

Anyway, the thing that pisses me off more than having to go through all of this is that the state trooper that came to do the training/certification for the shop won't give them an explanation as to why those type of lights don't work. I get the stupid LED's that sport bike riders put on their bikes so that they look "all blinged out" being illegal. Mine actually serve a purpose. One that Suzuki left us all hanging on!

The other thing that I have to "change" is the blinking red LED's that I have above my brake light. They blink constantly as long as I have the brake applied. Apparently that's illegal as well. You know....all of the things that have been added to my bike either by myself other the previous owners for SAFETY are illegal in VA. Nice, huh?!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you kidding me, a second blinking brake light is illegal in Virginia. I have Whelen ultra bright LED strobes installed on both my bikes and the only question I get from Texas DPS is where I got them. I'm sorry, but I don't miss living in a state that has way too many illogical laws going against the motorists own safety.

signed: former Alexandria Va resident

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you kidding me, a second blinking brake light is illegal in Virginia. I have Whelen ultra bright LED strobes installed on both my bikes and the only question I get from Texas DPS is where I got them. I'm sorry, but I don't miss living in a state that has way too many illogical laws going against the motorists own safety.

signed: former Alexandria Va resident
Trust me....when the US Navy says I'm done WE'RE OUTTA HERE!!! 5 more years. 5 LOOOOOOOOOOONG years!!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Kind of. I originally bought the bike to work as a USA Cycling Motor Official riding with the cyclists in races. When I noticed that my K3 didn't come with them I went out & found some that I THOUGHT would work. I've since found out from the company that I bought them from (SUPER nice guys) that there are higher certifications than DOT. My lights fall into one of those higher certifications. They're getting the specs for me from the manufacturer so they can e-mail them to me early next week. I was told that they have them, but wanted to make sure that they give me the "latest & greatest". Can't fault 'em for that!

Anyway, the thing that pisses me off more than having to go through all of this is that the state trooper that came to do the training/certification for the shop won't give them an explanation as to why those type of lights don't work. I get the stupid LED's that sport bike riders put on their bikes so that they look "all blinged out" being illegal. Mine actually serve a purpose. One that Suzuki left us all hanging on!

The other thing that I have to "change" is the blinking red LED's that I have above my brake light. They blink constantly as long as I have the brake applied. Apparently that's illegal as well. You know....all of the things that have been added to my bike either by myself other the previous owners for SAFETY are illegal in VA. Nice, huh?!
Bureaucratic hell! That is what I am talking about.

Like in California, it is illegal to drive while talking on a cell phone or texting. Fine, but if talking on a cell phone or texting causes you to drive in an unsafe manner...don't we already have laws for "reckless" driving? Yes, of course we do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So do i understand correctly, that if you had left the factory non-existant 4 way flashers alone, you would have been fine?

We're strict here in Mass. but I dont think a safety upgrade would be a fail. If thats the case, then all the goldwings with 17 aftermarket pulsing brakelights would be illegal.

Or is the problem that you installed a "not for highway use" product?

But in answer to your question- yes, just get a left side switch with the up/down hazard flasher and be done with it. The wiring and relays and all are already on the bike.

Chris in Boston

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I have the HyperLites that blink before becoming solid stop lights. I think the blink is illegal but not enforced. We don't have vehicle inspections in Washington.

How hard would it be for you to make those lights easily removable for the inspection?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So do i understand correctly, that if you had left the factory non-existant 4 way flashers alone, you would have been fine?

We're strict here in Mass. but I dont think a safety upgrade would be a fail. If thats the case, then all the goldwings with 17 aftermarket pulsing brakelights would be illegal.

Or is the problem that you installed a "not for highway use" product?

But in answer to your question- yes, just get a left side switch with the up/down hazard flasher and be done with it. The wiring and relays and all are already on the bike.

Chris in Boston
About the "nonexistent" flashers....yes.

As for the Goldwings with all the aftermarket flashers....yes they would be illegal. It's not that I installed "not-for-highway-use" lights, it's that there isn't any "certification" clearly displayed on the outside of the light.

This week was crazy so I didn't get a chance to call the company back that I ordered them from to get the certification that it does hold. But, according to them it's higher than your "standard DOT" certification. We'll just see what it is when I get a chance to call them.

I do have a new K8 left control that I picked up from eBay. I'll be breaking my neck to get it swapped out this weekend. Hopefully I can have the bike back in for the inspection Monday afternoon/evening at the latest.

I have the HyperLites that blink before becoming solid stop lights. I think the blink is illegal but not enforced. We don't have vehicle inspections in Washington.

How hard would it be for you to make those lights easily removable for the inspection?
Looking at how they were installed it's not going to be difficult at all to hide them. In fact that's what the guy that rejected it suggested I do. "Unofficially" of course!

·
Registered
371 Posts

I left the flashing on mine active - not a word -

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here's an update after an afternoon of trying to get it to work...

A 2003 Vee LH control & a 2008 Wee LH control are WAY different! Lets start with the connector behind the radiator. Suzuki flipped the male & female sides around so the connector doesn't work. Then all of the splicing & rewiring they did for the K8 control....lets just say that IF I can get it all to work it'll be difficult to say the least.

The ONE thing that's completely screwing me right now is the horn switch on the one I bought off of eBay. It's totally broken & useless. SO....I have to find a good horn switch. I've been all over eBay tonight with no luck. Anyone have any ideas?!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
The other thing that I have to "change" is the blinking red LED's that I have above my brake light. They blink constantly as long as I have the brake applied. Apparently that's illegal as well.
Ditto in this country, too.

BLUE, OR BLUE AND RED
Blue, or blue and red flashing lights must only be fitted to:
• Police vehicles.
• Ambulances solely used by the Ambulance Service of NSW as defined under the Health Services Act 1997 or a vehicle authorised by the Ambulance Service of NSW under its delegated authority.
• Operational fire brigade vehicles and accredited NSW Rural Fire Service vehicles.
• A vehicle used by a Traffic Commander or a Traffic Emergency Patroller appointed or employed by the RTA.
• State Emergency Service vehicles.
• Vehicles used by an accredited rescue unit as defined in the State Emergency and Rescue Management Act 1989.

The use of blue, or blue and red flashing lights is intended to advise other road users that the vehicle displaying them is responding to an emergency situation. They must only be used when the vehicle is being used for police operational functions or urgent purposes arising from an accident, fire or other emergency.

Red
In addition to the vehicles listed above, red flashing lights must only be fitted to:
• Red Cross vehicles used for the conveyance of blood for urgent transfusions.
• Mines rescue vehicles.
• Other rescue vehicles.
• Other emergency vehicles not referenced above that are driven by an emergency worker in the course of their duties, where an ‘emergency worker’ is a person (or one of a class of persons) approved by the RTA.

A red flashing light warns road users of the presence of a vehicle associated with a risk-to-life situation. It must only be used when the vehicle is being used for urgent purposes arising from an accident, fire or
other emergency.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts