StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone talks about the decel wobble. WHEN LOADED, my bike wobbles at around 35mph whether I am accelerating, decelerating or going steady. Stock suspension. Forks raised in tubes 13mm. Lowering links, but rear is at or near stock height, but this does not seem to matter as wobble is present at all adjustments of lowering links. NO WOBBLE when not loaded.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
What tires are you running. The Shinko/Full Bore I use have a "walk" at low speed , but the Factory Trailwings were all over the place. Glad those are gone.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Need whole story

tires age mileage pressure you run

Mine only moves when there is a big load like camping

Steering head bearings stock are inadequate and need frequent adjustment

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
A new tire solved my wobble issue. The OEM Trailwing was cupped bad so I installed Pilot Road 3 and the wobble went away.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
First noticed this fully loaded for 2 month trip, running brand new Anakee IIs. 10,000 miles on that trip and as far as I can remember the wobble was everpresent. Put brand new Anakee IIIs on before fully loading for 5 week trip. Wobble has been consistent for 8000 miles. I generally run 33 PSI in front and 38 - 41 PSI in rear. I purchased bike at 10k and have put 30k on it.

I can manage it, but wobble is noticeable even with two hands holding bars lightly. If I take hands off bars, it would eventually wreck. Wobbles only when loaded.

·
Registered
52 Posts
First noticed this fully loaded for 2 month trip, running brand new Anakee IIs. 10,000 miles on that trip and as far as I can remember the wobble was everpresent. Put brand new Anakee IIIs on before fully loading for 5 week trip. Wobble has been consistent for 8000 miles. I generally run 33 PSI in front and 38 - 41 PSI in rear. I purchased bike at 10k and have put 30k on it.

I can manage it, but wobble is noticeable even with two hands holding bars lightly. If I take hands off bars, it would eventually wreck. Wobbles only when loaded.
If you lean forward does it go away or get better. Have not experienced it on the Wee yet, but my KLR would do it at speed when ever I used to put my feet on the rear pegs. Too much weight in the back lightens the front end and depending on the tire tread, could enduce a wobble. If that is the case you need to drop the front end or raise the preload in the back and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if your bike is lowered at the front,and at the back, then it really shouldn't affect geometry. The fact that you say it happens when it's loaded, means that you may very well have too much stuff on it, or the fact that the front end is light. Weight bias.

does accelerating improve or worsen the situation. does compression braking improve or worsen the wobble?

In my experience, a wobble is fixed by more power. Throttle fixes everything

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, should have mentioned I am probably 155 lbs. with all my gear on. Tank bag may add another 5 lbs. Wobble only seems to occur between 30 - 35 mph and when bike is loaded. Accelerating makes it go away - but then again my hands are on the bars. Does get worse as it decels with hands off bars. Don't know about compression braking because again hands are on bars.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a bit of this issue when taking slow sweeping corners especially when not on the power. A discussion on this board said it may have been a number of things and it was focused down to the steering stem nut maybe being loose. However, I adjusted my pre-load nearly all the way positive for a camping trip that had me loaded heavy and it seems to have solved the problem. I think my fat ass just needed more pre-load on the rear suspension. Maybe this is the problem when you are loaded up?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Steering head bearings fixed this on mine....

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Front tires, steering head bearings and too much weight in the top box are major contributors to the list of possibilities. Vees and Wees have an aerodynamic front end lift issue at high speed in stock condition that is helped by lowering the front or raising the rear.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks GW. Mine front is lowered 13 mm. Max is 15mm - correct?

But again, mine does not wobble at HIGH speed...in fact, it is great at high speed. Fully loaded I have had it up to 100 mph, indicated (there are some flat, boring roads out there).

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Thanks GW. Mine front is lowered 13 mm. Max is 15mm - correct?
10-15mm seems to be the preferred range. ABS Wees with fork braces can't go more than 10mm without the possibility of the brace hitting the brake line junction under the lower triple clamp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, should have mentioned I am probably 155 lbs. with all my gear on. Tank bag may add another 5 lbs. Wobble only seems to occur between 30 - 35 mph and when bike is loaded. Accelerating makes it go away - but then again my hands are on the bars. Does get worse as it decels with hands off bars. Don't know about compression braking because again hands are on bars.
what I meant by compression braking, is that when you are coming off the gas (and are loaded) does the wobble become worse?

Anytime you transfer weight, or the steering responsibility to the front, this is likely to happen. I think if you crank up your rearl preload, this may solve issues.
If you're not sure about your steering head bearings, put the bike on the c.stand, have someone push down on the rear end, so that the front end is in the air, and check for front to back play on your forks, this will let you know if your bearings are tight.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what i meant by compression braking, is that when you are coming off the gas (and are loaded) does the wobble become worse?

Yes

anytime you transfer weight, or the steering responsibility to the front, this is likely to happen. I think if you crank up your rearl preload, this may solve issues.

Think it is cranked up & pre-load in front is minimal

if you're not sure about your steering head bearings, put the bike on the c.stand, have someone push down on the rear end, so that the front end is in the air, and check for front to back play on your forks, this will let you know if your bearings are tight.
will do, thanks

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I played with many things on my Wee and 39psi in my front tyre was the cure for my bike.

I'm still on the OME tyres.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts