StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post the brand and model of your boots, and a brief review why you like or hate them, and what you would recommend if you had to buy a single pair for riding.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a set of these from Fleebay when they were on sale and free shipping. A little tight in the fit but with a little stretching and lots of leather conditioner and a good break in period, I find them very comfortable. they are not thick and hard like moto boots and they actually fit under my shifter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sidi-Aria-GTX-Goretex-Waterproof-Touring-Adventure-Motorcycle-Boots-Black-EU42/333098023481?epid=27005720475&hash=item4d8e307a39:g:kIsAAOSwi5dceUxmhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Sidi-Aria-GTX-Goretex-Waterproof-Touring-Adventure-Motorcycle-Boots-Black-EU42/333098023481?epid=27005720475&hash=item4d8e307a39:g:kIsAAOSwi5dceUxm
Those look like they would breathe really well. Do they?

·
Registered
14,158 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
TCX Desert

Like:
- Metal buckles
- Tough sole has held up very well
- Look good and clean up alright
- Good fit, comfortable enough to walk short distances

Dislike:
- Were only ever water resistant brand new and do get wet in the rain
- Seam on the left boot opened up where the toes bend - newer models look like they have been revised there
- Velcro creates pulls in jeans if I'm not careful

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
For me the important things are Fit/Comfort (I have wide feet) and, since I ride in rain a lot, totally Waterproof.

I've been using Alpinstar Web-Gortex boots since fall of 2006. I ride a lot in all kinds of conditions and am very hard on gear and generally get a new set very couple of years. They have proven to be very comfortable for me in all kinds of conditions keeping my feet nice and dry. In conjunction with my Tilley Travel Dress Socks I have used them in temperatures up to 126°f/52°c and down to 0°f/-18°c (when I was younger just with Tilley Travel socks. Now with age need heated socks below freezing.) They are also comfy off the bike as well.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have been using the Alpinestar Web-Goretex about as long as V-Tom. Extremely comfortable, waterproof, comfortable to walk in as well. My current pair I had resoled with a vibram "waffle stomper" (takes you back, right?) layer. They should last a good number of miles longer now.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
A must for me is waterproof. I commute on the bike regardless of weather and I live on the wet coast.

I picked up a pair of Alpinestars Belize boots about a year and a half ago after my Gaernes began to leak uncontrollably.

The Alpinestars do leak if you don't keep the leather constantly sealed. I broke a lower buckle a couple months ago but that was simple enough to replace.

They fit me well and provide good support but I probably wouldn't buy them again. I think I would go with a pair of Sidis next.

Attachments

·
#motoref
224 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Sidi Onroads for several years and still use them a lot for touring. I got a pair of Sidi Adventure Gore tex a few years ago when I started riding more dirt . They provide better blunt force protection for the shins and better protection for the ankles.

- both are waterproof and have remained so for years.
- both can be resoled
- both are very comfortable off the bike. In fact, I find the Adventure boot nearly as comfortable as the Onroads and find that I am wearing them more and more even when touring.

Downside of both is that the cost a bit more initially but over time, they may turn out to be less expensive because they last so long and can be resoled.
Both are a bit hot when temperatures are 80+ but I rarely ride in those temperatures so it is not an issue for me.

As stated earlier, fit is very important and may well be one of the first considerations you should have (after protection of course).

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a 9 1/2 EEE - how wide do these run? (Sucks you have to order them cuz nobody stocks anything).

I've been rocking Bates Boots, but have thought about something else.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/gx-8-side-zip-boot-with-gore-tex®/20135W.html?icid=search_suggested_products&dwvar_20135W_color=E02788
I've still got an old pair of Bates boots that I can't get myself to get rid of. I love them, so comfortable. If the weather looks poor, I switch to the Sidi GoreTex boots.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sidi Onroads for several years and still use them a lot for touring. I got a pair of Sidi Adventure Gore tex a few years ago when I started riding more dirt . They provide better blunt force protection for the shins and better protection for the ankles.

- both are waterproof and have remained so for years.
- both can be resoled
- both are very comfortable off the bike. In fact, I find the Adventure boot nearly as comfortable as the Onroads and find that I am wearing them more and more even when touring.

Downside of both is that the cost a bit more initially but over time, they may turn out to be less expensive because they last so long and can be resoled.
Both are a bit hot when temperatures are 80+ but I rarely ride in those temperatures so it is not an issue for me.

As stated earlier, fit is very important and may well be one of the first considerations you should have (after protection of course).
Glad to hear the Sidi's have served you well. I got mine for $200 CDN on clearance last year. Seems like a great deal now after reading reports from others.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sidi fits me well and they make a quality product. I'll have them for years.

Discovery for street. Comfortable, easy enough to walk in. Purchased lightly used from another local rider.

Adventure for dual sporting. More support and protection than discovery.

Crossfire 2 SRS for dirt. Support and protection.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Sidi Adventure 2 Gore-Tex. I forget where I got them, but they were on sale for about 40% off. I wear them year-round. They've proven waterproof, so far, about a year old.

I like:

• The overall level of protection, while retaining reasonable comfort for every day street-riding
  • Gore-Tex waterproofing
  • The fit for my narrow feet
I don't like:

• Lack of ventilation. They're a bit warm in the heat, but despite being a heat-wimp it doesn't really bother me.
  • Walking around in them too much, the trade-off for the protection they offer.
They're my only boots, so they're what I recommend for a single pair -- for me, when on sale, they're in the sweet spot of balance between price v. comfort v. protection.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I'm a 9 1/2 EEE - how wide do these run? (Sucks you have to order them cuz nobody stocks anything).

I've been rocking Bates Boots, but have thought about something else.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/gx-8-side-zip-boot-with-gore-tex®/20135W.html?icid=search_suggested_products&dwvar_20135W_color=E02788
I'm also 9 1/5 EEE. When I put on my gear (I'm at work and hopefully leaving shortly) I'll check on the size but I strongly encourage you to try them out before buying. They work for me but might be torture for you.

..Tom

·
#motoref
224 Posts
I strongly encourage you to try them out before buying. They work for me but might be torture for you.

..Tom
Revzilla allows that. I think you have to pay $7 return shipping, but better than $300 & pain

1 - 20 of 67 Posts