StromTrooper banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Goretex gear washed in Nickwax Tekwash used regularly......it's pretty damn waterproof.
But now the Gore-Tex can't breath.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a KLIM GoreTex suit now (have not tested it in a hard rain), but keep my bright yellow Frogg Toggs handy........I look like a school bus coming down the road and most everyone gives me the right of way. :ROFLMAO:
That’s what I’ve got. I’ve worn it during pretty heavy rain on the interstate for my ~1hr commute and it keeps me dry.

·
Administrator
16,615 Posts
But now the Gore-Tex can't breath.
Sure it can, that's the sole design/purpose of Nikwax tekwash. Been using it for years, it makes the outside fabric more water repellent, body perspiration venting still does it's thing and so does Goretex. :) There is ZERO breathing with a rain suit or frogtoggs over top your gear, so I highly recommend Goretex gear with annual washing in Nikwax.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I use and love Nikwax too but I also worked out the better stuff breaths the more comfortable it is and the better it works.

Gore-Tex is one of those products.

Years back I had some boots that leaked water so I painted them with "power steering stop leak" it stopped the leaks and waterproofed the boots but the leather no longer breathed so they got mushy on the inside on hot or humid days, not something they usually suffered from.

Some gear should never be washed in powder, only use liquid detergents, the powder can clog the pours and will wick water through the fabric.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,216 Posts
Goretex gear washed in Nickwax Tekwash used regularly......it's pretty damn waterproof.
Yep, that is the secret. The nikwax keeps the water in bead shape so it can be blown away. NOT soak into the outer fabric covering the inner Gore-Tex. That keeps them waterproof at the high speeds we see on a motorcycle! Without that water can build up against the gore tex and force its way in. Older gear that seems to not work so well...can be rejuvenated with a washing in Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In.

·
Administrator
16,615 Posts
Yep, that is the secret. The nikwax keeps the water in bead shape so it can be blown away. NOT soak into the outer fabric covering the inner Gore-Tex. That keeps them waterproof at the high speeds we see on a motorcycle! Without that water can build up against the gore tex and force its way in. Older gear that seems to not work so well...can be rejuvenated with a washing in Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In.
Thanks Terry you explained it all much better than I did and why it works so well. :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
There is ZERO breathing with a rain suit or frogtoggs over top your gear,
Can't believe you'd post this as a FACT o_O

Breathable riding gear + breathable frogtogs = ZERO breathablility????

·
Administrator
16,615 Posts
Can't believe you'd post this as a FACT o_O

Breathable riding gear + breathable frogtogs = ZERO breathablility????
So you're telling me that frogtoggs actually breathes like Goretex or equivalent does? I'm not aware of any raingear that breathes, it doesn't allow anything in or out unless I'm wrong?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hey, I don't work for gortex or frogtogs, but they both claim to be breathable. And I do know at the end of a good day riding in real rain, when I take off my frogtogs and MC riding pants and jacket, I'm dry.
That's all I can say
But I will add that on a damp, cold day the frogtogs are another layer of wind protection, and much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
For me, one very important characteristic of rain gear is to ensure that the outer layer does not get soaked through. Many suits that have a waterproof but separate liner allow the outer shell to become water logged. Yes, you stay dry but there are 2 problems:
1. the suit becomes very heavy and
2. it acts as a refrigerator once it starts to dry out because the heat needed for evaporation will be taken from your body heat.

So, for me, I use the 2 layer gear. ie. the waterproof membrane is adhered to the inside of the outer layer. Not many suits do this since it seems to be an expensive process.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
For me, one very important characteristic of rain gear is to ensure that the outer layer does not get soaked through. Many suits that have a waterproof but separate liner allow the outer shell to become water logged. Yes, you stay dry but there are 2 problems:
1. the suit becomes very heavy and
2. it acts as a refrigerator once it starts to dry out because the heat needed for evaporation will be taken from your body heat.

So, for me, I use the 2 layer gear. ie. the waterproof membrane is adhered to the inside of the outer layer. Not many suits do this since it seems to be an expensive process.
That is why I like the very light Rainbird jacket over my jacket to keep the outer layer dry.

The outer layer of my pants is Gore-Tex so there is nothing to get wet.

In the cold I wear snow boarding pants under my Klim's

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
So you're telling me that frogtoggs actually breathes like Goretex or equivalent does? I'm not aware of any raingear that breathes, it doesn't allow anything in or out unless I'm wrong?
Hey, I don't work for gortex or frogtogs, but they both claim to be breathable. And I do know at the end of a good day riding in real rain, when I take off my frogtogs and MC riding pants and jacket, I'm dry.
That's all I can say
But I will add that on a damp, cold day the frogtogs are another layer of wind protection, and much appreciated.
Yep, Frogg Toggs are breathable. Says so right on their website's main page. Product tech stuff link: Product Technology

I bought my Horny Toadz about 7 or 8 years ago. This model is no longer offered but is still functioning perfectly, here's the description from back in the day:

Horny Toadz are perfect for both workers and bikers! They are made of very durable material that is guaranteed to be 100 percent waterproof and don't forget the 2nd piece of remaing DRY - breathable!

Ultra Durable - hybrid fabric (ToadSkinz)
Look & feel of traditional polyester
Trademarked DriPore
Waterproof (Guaranteed!)
Breathable (Guaranteed!)
Microprous film combined w/ non-woven inner layer

Frogg Eyzz Reflective Technology

Suit Net Weight: 37oz

YMMV

·
Registered
14 Posts
This thread has been an interesting read. I have a Klim Latitude jacket and pants and Sidi Adventure boots, both about 5 years and 40,000 miles old. They had always been totally waterproof - light to moderate rain for most of the day or thunderstorm downpour for about an hour - waterproof. I late January I got caught in a couple of hours of total downpour coming out of Torres del Paine Park. Gravel, mud, general slop and lots of rain. My jacket continued to perform - completely dry. However, my reproductive parts got a bit wet, as did my feet. I've communicated with Klim and they have offered to perform a leak test on the pants. Perhaps I'll do that. However, it occurs to me that in heavy rain bike shape and riding position creates a puddle for me to sit in. I wonder if the basic design of GoreTex compromises its effectiveness when sitting in a puddle. The fabric outside the GoreTex membrane was water-logged. Does anyone know? (Of course, that would not explain the boot failure - perhaps just age or perhaps I need to pay more attention to the outer surface?)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Sit-N-Fly seat covers but they do get you up and out of the puddle on the seat.

If dirt gets pushed/worn into the fabric it can wick the water in, I would think there is a big chance that is your problem.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Sure it can, that's the sole design/purpose of Nikwax tekwash. Been using it for years, it makes the outside fabric more water repellent, body perspiration venting still does it's thing and so does Goretex. :) There is ZERO breathing with a rain suit or frogtoggs over top your gear, so I highly recommend Goretex gear with annual washing in Nikwax.
I seem to recall FrogToggs breathing quite well.

..Tom

·
Registered
667 Posts
Klim Lattitude gear and Sidi Canyon Goretex boots have kept me dry in pretty wet conditions even Iceland! In the cold wet weather I throw a frogg togg jacket over the Klim Jacket. The frog toggs breath fine. When the Klim jacket gets soaked on the outside it can be cool. Goretex gloves are great but at high speeds in continuing rain, hands eventually get damp, especially if you pull them out to buy fuel etc. I tend to tuck them under my jacket and pull things tight around the cuffs. I have an aerostitch wind triangle I wear around my neck backwards to keep water from running down my back

21 - 36 of 36 Posts