Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is certainly an old topic in this august bunch.

But,

I put off getting rain gear, and today paid the price.

Soaked like a wet dog, caught in a good downpour on the way home from work.

Now I could have waited an hour and then just wet roads, no rain. I thought I would beat the rain, let's just say that didn't happen.

Sedici modular helmet performed fine, I could see, but caught in a good rain and thunder storm nonetheless. With some lightning thrown in, well, because this is Florida.

Thankfully no issues. With the good Lord's care and great caution all was fine.

My V performed admirably and I'd like to believe I was careful as possible.

Moral to this story?

One is; get your rain gear while the sun is shining!
😎😎😎

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
I have Frogg Toggs Horny Toadz. They were about $100, about 7-8 years ago and are still in use. I have been through quite a few multiple day frog chockers as well as a hurricane (Harvey) and some snow. No leaks and no issues. I supplement with Aerostich Triple Digit waterproof glove covers. They pack relatively small and I would purchase again without hesitation.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Good quality rain resistant protective gear, like Aerostich or others of similar quality.
But don't leave the side vents of your Darien jacket open, whole bunches of rain can get in there in a frog strangler. :surprise:

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1 for Gortex. Was able to keep my last issue gear from my LEO days. Made by Blauser. I’ve ridden in pretty much every weather imaginable outside of a twister and this gear has never failed me. Packs nice and small and I use a Velcro strap to bundle it up tight. I also have frog toggs for backup just in case.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I have a lot of GoreTex outer wear. I find it usually disappoints me when I really need it to keep me dry.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I have a lot of GoreTex outer wear. I find it usually disappoints me when I really need it to keep me dry.
I believer Gore-tex has a pretty good warranty if it leaks. There are several anecdotes of Gore-tex gear getting repaired or replaced when returned to them. May be worth contacting them to find out if they can help .

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,072 Posts
Yes, Gore-Tex gear can be wonderful.

But if you just want rain gear there is a BIG difference in what actually works. If it does not have zippers on the pant legs, don't bother buying it. More often than not, you will be in a hurry to put the gear on, and taking off your boots to put on rain pants just isn't what I am willing to do. You have to have rain gear that is tailored to go over what you ride in. Again, to make it work when in a hurry and not bind you up when moving. Some rain gear, just like waterproof gloves, are simply water resistant. Not waterproof. Try riding for a couple hours in heavy rain. That separates the stuff that works from what doesn't. One of the biggest problems you might face on a trip is rain gear that flaps in the wind. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but I have had to stop and put tape on my pant legs after my lower legs got sore from the beating they were taking! This is why I don't recommend non motorcycle rain gear if you really want good stuff.

I have a Nelson Rigg rain jacket. Very well designed and has been waterproof. One of there top rated rain gear sets is only $100. Nelson Rigg link. They have cheap sets too. Nelson Rigg also makes a pair of boot covers that pack up tight and work very well. Even help a lot in cold weather.

Gloves are hit and miss. Even those that are waterproof tend to turn clammy inside as they don't breathe all that well. I have found the Aerostich 3 finger overgloves to be a very good answer to wet weather riding. About $50, but you won't care once you ride with them in heavy rain.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Should call Gore-Tex, they have a lifetime warranty.....NONE of my Gore-Tex gears leaks. Now I do wash my gear in Nikwax tech wash, then waterproof the surface again with the waterproofing wash.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
30$ rain suit from a local hunting store. This year i got it for 17$+tax.
Usually lasts me two seasons before the stiching stretches and the material thins out.

Now if i only could find cheap waterproof gloves...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts