StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this subject may have been posted in the past ,but for newer members
it may need to be revisited.

There tons of options for sunglasses so post a response on what works for you.

Also, helmet shields , Dark tint, No tint, Mirror tint, or No shield at all. Pick your poison.

If you wear corrective lenses, Tell us what options work the best for you.

As riders we want to make that experience the best it can be and being able to see
clearly day or night when riding means many of us have some tried and true stories
to tell and good feedback. So jump on in.... :smile2:

·
Registered
925 Posts
I like an amber tint visor. It cuts the glare effectively, tends to sharpen things a bit, and can be safely worn at night, although oncoming headlights appear yellow instead of white. I will switch to a clear visor for longer planned night rides, but the amber is handy if caught after dark unexpectedly. When riding through tree lined roads or other areas of light/shadow it helps to see in the darkened areas, where a smoke tint visor would be difficult.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have sensitive eyes so I always have sun glasses on outside. I have found Costa sun glasses to be my favorite. On my helmet I run a light smoke visor with the internal dark sun shade.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I run a dark smoke visor on my helmet during the day. If I'm working late (or not that late in the winter), I keep a clear visior in my top box and swap them out. I just don't enjoy messing with sunglasses under a helmet. After doing it for years, I decided to splurge on dark visors when a replace my helmets.

If you do use sunglasses under a helmet, a wrap-around shape with bayonet temples worked best for me. This is what I used to ride with: https://www.randolphusa.com/men/aviator/?attribute_pa_frame=matte-chrome&attribute_pa_lens-features=non-polarized&attribute_pa_lens=skytec-american-gray&attribute_pa_temple=bayonet&attribute_pa_size=55mm

Off the bike, I've got a pair of Oakley Half Jackets with mirrored, polarized lenses. I like the replaceable lenses, so when they get scratched I can swap the lenses out for less than half the cost of a new pair of glasses.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I wear corrective lenses and clip on sunglasses when afoot but settle for the semi dark lens of Bilt helmet I'm currently using for riding. Same with the Scorpion helmet I used before I got the Bilt.
The minor shading I get from the helmet lens is enough to make my ride comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I had Lasik surgery about 25 yrs ago and how need a bit of correction which is taken care of with soft, daily use contact lenses.
- I use a clear visor with drop down dark sunshield (Shoei Neotec and Scorpion AT950).
- on really bright days I don't drop down the sunshield but wear Serengeti sunglasses which I find fit well under the helmet. I have various pairs but mostly wear something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Serengeti-Velocity-Sunglasses-Satin-Silicon/dp/B000R36CG6/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?crid=N3BE4JRPNYR2&keywords=serengeti+sunglasses+for+men&qid=1562209148&s=gateway&sprefix=serengeti,aps,230&sr=8-21-spons&psc=1

Something I found that really helps with glare is a strip of black Gorilla tape about 1.25" wide across the top of the visor. It seems to cut down the glare when riding into low angled sunlight but doesn't hinder my field of vision.

This combo seems to work good for me but everyone needs to find their own comfort level with eyewear.

I should add that I do not wear polarized sunglasses under my visor. If find that when I do, the road surface does not appear normal and I find it hard to judge conditions.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wear contacts when riding, a bit of a pain if they dry out on a long day, but I much prefer contacts to glasses inside a helmet.

Used to wear sunglasses when riding, Serengeti's with slight photochromic lenses, super comfy and just the right amount of tint. Fantastic company as well, replaced my previous pair when I cracked a lens for I think $50CAD.

Lately, I love my the flip down sunvisor in my Schuberth. Always thought it was a gimmick until I tried it. Such a pleasure to be able to instantly adjust it on an overcast day that goes back and forth from gloomy to blindingly sunny.

Zero interest in a tinted visor, there are days when I need all the vision I can get.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I wear corrective lenses(glasses) and have tried prescription sunglasses in the past. They don’t work for me. I wear an HJC modular with the inner sun shield, my glasses have the darker transitions tint and now I’m trying a transitions pin lock on my clear shield. Now I can ride directly into the sun with the pin lock and the drop down shield in use. Under normal conditions the transitions pin lock is good for the limited night riding I do, and having the drop down is great for direct sun. I tried tape and such on the visor and it works but I can’t hold my head in the position it needs to be in all the time. The pin lock with transitions isn’t cheap around $75 but seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Something I found that really helps with glare is a strip of black Gorilla tape about 1.25" wide across the top of the visor. It seems to cut down the glare when riding into low angled sunlight but doesn't hinder my field of vision.
Yep

My C3 is tight for wearing sunglasses....the built in tinted visor is "okay" but not as optically correct.
Still working on a set of sunglasses that fit comfortably in the C3.
I prefer sunglasses as you can get better optics and clean them more completely.

My RayBan "shields" work wonderfully for my convertable helmet in Australia. they are pretty much full eye cover and very relaxing in bright sun. It was dumb luck they work inside the helmet I use for Australia....not even close to fitting on the Canadian helmets.

Be careful with anything polarized as it can get "interesting" if you flip your clear shield down.

On my old helmet AFX-55 ( I wear the bottom config )

that I used on the latest trip I do have a metallic full shield in gold that I bought as a bit of a lark and on a bright sunny day it is the best of all.

While it's gold on the outside the actual vision is colour correct and just dimmed down ...eyes relax instantly but it does make you look like a spaceman.

Value for money on the AFX-55 is superb and the optical clarity and very wide field of view was a treat. Visors reasonably priced too.

The Schuberth C3 I bought used for $300 cdn and it's my go to for cooler weather and it simply does not fog.
It's pretty warm tho, visors pricey and certainly not worth the money new in my view.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I wear Dewalt tinted safety glasses for one I get them at work for free. Two they are pretty dark (I am somewhat light sensitive). Three they are comfortable to wear all day and have good enough styling for me.I also have a dark tinted drop down shield in my helmet that is about 1/2 as dark as the Dewalt safety glasses. Many times I use the two together and would still like something darker.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
My modular has a clear shield and a dark drop down fighter pilot shade. I don't like the shield down much and almost always ride with sunglasses on and shield up. I need reading glasses(getting old sucks) so I wear safety sunglasses with readers built in....they cost about $10, so when they get all scratched up I throw them away and put on a new pair:
https://www.fullsource.com/bifocal-safety-glasses/

My fav are the Elvex Sonoma's....good wrap around coverage for riding & there is always a new pair stashed in my . For night & rain I have a pair of clear bifocals I wear even when the clear shield is down so I can see my instruments.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I get caught out at night too often and like the wind on my face so I run a clear shield that is only down for weather and bugs, use sunglasses during the day, and clear safety glasses at night. If I'm going for more than an hour or so, and for sure on all day or multi day rides I wear polarized glasses. There are lots of documented cons to polarized glasses on motorcycles, but none of them weigh heavily for me. I prefer the polarization because it really reduces eye fatigue for me, allowing me to ride longer and safer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Two strips of electrical tape across the top of my visor helps tremendously. Allows me to tilt my head slightly and block the early morning / late afternoon sun. I also wear prescription sunglasses.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All great comments, Like many of you have posted this requires we get "Creative" when it comes to vision
before during and after the ride. Clearly, it's not a one size fits all world when it comes to Seeing where your going.

I need glasses for driving only, So I keep a pair of Prescription clear lense glasses ,and a pair of prescription sunglasses
at the ready, I have my Clear HJC visor (in storage ) and opted for the $45 Mirror tint visor when I purchased the
full face helmet. Turns out to be money very well spent. With the mirror visor and my regular glasses on- fit and function
is great no issues. On real bright outdoor conditions (Florida) I can swap for the sunglasses under the visor. These glasses
are a little bigger than the clear ones but still work fine. Some times I need to lift the visor completely up and ride with
just the glasses for protection. (when it's really hot out) Those sunglasses were purchased at America's Best Vision center
and ran about $200 with the motorcycle frames. I've had them 2 years and they still work just fine.
I also have a police style Peanut helmet But I do not wear it hardly at all because it won't work well with the ear plugs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My HJC modular has the internal dropdown sunshade, which I love. Since I have a Givi windscreen, I'll ride with the visor up and the sunshade down quite comfortably.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have prescription Rayban sunglasses, bifocal. My distance vision is adequate but I have trouble reading the gauges, gps, phone screen with just sunglasses. Polarized are out for me. In addition to causing problems with reading electronic screens, I can't see into the windshields of modern UV-protective glass on automobiles. I'm looking for the eyes and faces of oncoming traffic to try and determine what the driver is/isn't looking at. Polarized lenses render oncoming windshields nothing more than a blur of clouds with no indication of what is behind the windshield.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have been using a Pinlock photochromatic face shield overlay for about two months now. It is a light sensitive film sandwiched between two semi-flexible polycarbonate sheets and attaches to the outside of their proprietary shields using their Pinlock system. The overlay locks down on the shield with no fluttering or blister effect. It changes from 100% clear to a reasonably darknened bluish grey tint in a very short time. Not as dark as some smoke shields but ideal for my type of riding in wooded valleys and open farmland high country. Optically pure with no distortion and absolutely clear for night riding, and no glare or sprites from oncoming headlights. Easily unmounts for cleaning or for rain riding. Although it does have a silicone bead around its perimeter, water can get caught between the shield and the overlay.
It is the best solution for bright sunlight I have ever found. https://pinlock.com/products/overlay/

I heard of a hack for riding into low angle sunlight but I haven't tried it yet: Carry a roll of 1" blue painter's tape to stick on your face shield or windshield in a way that blocks the sun from your field of view. You can still see over and under it taped to the shield for reading the road and traffic signage, but the sun will be blocked most of the time. When the sun goes down, peel it off easily for night riding.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have prescription Rayban sunglasses, bifocal. My distance vision is adequate but I have trouble reading the gauges, gps, phone screen with just sunglasses. Polarized are out for me. In addition to causing problems with reading electronic screens, I can't see into the windshields of modern UV-protective glass on automobiles. I'm looking for the eyes and faces of oncoming traffic to try and determine what the driver is/isn't looking at. Polarized lenses render oncoming windshields nothing more than a blur of clouds with no indication of what is behind the windshield.
Very well said Scab, I read you loud and clear. You must be looking for what the drivers are looking at --- if it's not you
then there's a problem.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I used to wear generic plastic motorcycle glasses behind my HJC clear pinlock.
Now that i bought the HJC dark smoke pinlock, i ditched the glasses, and get way less fog (i nevr inserted the pinlock shield).

My bike has a dark smoke windshield too, no issues about seeing the road at night.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Prescription glasses, sunglasses for me...Zenni Optical dot com has every style imaginable and they are around $20 a pair...shipped :nerd:

I keep a spare pair of glasses, sunglasses, and readers stashed on the bike. Never know when a pair will wind up broken or missing.

Have had Ray-Ban's, Serhengetti's, Oakley's, Smith and a half dozen other brands through the years...polarized through a Pinloc makes for some trippy riding! Prefer the amber-colored lenses for most riding/driving but yellow tint is awesome for cloudy days with flat light.

Also have used tri-focal (progressive), bi-focal and single-focus lenses...preference for now is narrow enough lenses to look under for gauges, etc. although the need for readers gets more apparent as time marches forward. YMMV

1 - 20 of 36 Posts