StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to upgrade my horn since before I bought my Wee.

I wanted it very loud, but not so loud I caused an accident.

That was then, this is now. After the crap I saw the other day, I want a horn so loud it blasts cars off the road in front of me! I want to see cages rolling across front lawns on both sides of the road; all at the discretion of my left thumb. A small battery of missiles would also be nice!

But I digress...

It seems like everyone has a Stebel. I wanted to be a little different, and I am looking for ideas. So let's see your horns! The more unique, strange, interesting the better...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have a pair of Fiamm Freeway Blasters, one on each side, mounted at the crash bar bolts, facing straight down. I love them: I sound like a Buick.

They're not expensive, and they are durable. Got 'em at Rider Wearhouse. Only problem I've had is that one of them scooped up a bunch of water once when I went through a big puddle, so I took it off, dumped out the water, then turned them around to prevent that from happening again.

I don't like the Stebel. Too fussy and unreliable.

Cheers -d

·
Registered
387 Posts
WOOOOONK!

Two Hellas mounted on an amotostuff bar with a pair of cheapy lights. I have a nicely built setup that took a lot of wire soldering and such to make but that really works nicely and makes it so the bar can come off with a Molex "Quick" (LIES!) connector.

Only downside is that if I hit something real hard they contact the front fender, leaving a little bit of red paint behind each time. They're much too much fun for me to give a crap about the fender though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, guys! I really like RockyMtnRoadRash's positioning; right up front where they can do the most damage!

I was hoping more riders had done some farkling in this direction...

I've been doing a little research on my own. The horns I want would never fit; I would have to give up a pannier or something. A lot of horns were poorly made. Most were plastic or had plastic diaphragms. I was getting a little disheartened.:headbang:

I was digging around on ebay and that's when found this:

I call it "The Punisher!" It's off an International truck and has a proper "Diesel truck gonna crush your tiny little cage" sound to it!

It's solid steel, with a steel diaphragm. It wont even peep until you hit it with 60PSI or more. Then it shakes stuff off my workbench! :thumbup:

Now I just need to figure out how to provide it with the air supply it needs. :confused:
I have an idea or two, and I even have some ideas on how to make it sound meaner!:var_50:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wingspan: where did you get your mounting bracket? Did you make it yourself or is it one that somebody sells?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Mine is from Home Depot, a pipe grounding clamp from the electrical dept. and a 1/8" thick aluminum angle with most of one side cut off from the hardware dept..

·
Registered
815 Posts
I had dual Fiamm horns mounted inside the fairing on my '02. Took them off with the intention of mounting the same way on my '06, but never got around to it. I have a Stebel to install now, actually I have 2 Stebels. I wonder what 2 would be like. :p

There are other threads on horns too.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=25191&page=2

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't know you still wanted to mount that horn style. How about putting them on the crash bars??
I was seduced by power.
I might mount it there if I can find a spot where it wont get broken off in a tip over.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine is from Home Depot, a pipe grounding clamp from the electrical dept. and a 1/8" thick aluminum angle with most of one side cut off from the hardware dept..

Just curiosity nudging me along but....any particular reason for the trimmed aluminum "angle iron"? From the pic it looks like a piece of flatbar work just as well and I've never been under the plastic so I have no clue what it looks like in there.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I already had the angle on hand. It's a bit stronger that the flat bar besides.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have the traditional Stebel, mounted under the cowling. No reliability issues. If I get a hankering to relocate it, I would put it where the trumpet is exposed. Flip a coin, left side or right side?

Dual horns take twice as much power but aren't twice as loud. It's like two people yelling at the same time - more noise, not more volume.

As for truck air horns, I have those too - mounted on my Dodge Ram. I like a deep tone, so I have dual horns, 24" & 26" trumpets mounted inside my ARB front bumper. the air is regulated at 100 psi, served by a VIAIR Constant Duty system

It's all properly plumbed and wired to a momentary trigger switched mounted on my (manual transmission) shift lever. I call it my "giggle button" because at a minimum, I get a good giggle every time I sound them. I don't blow them too often though because full-sized blasters like these must be used discretely in public. When they go off, I'm the only one who giggles.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I have a pair of air horns mounted behind the headlights facing forward/down. If I remember correctly they are held in with some cable ties. Mounted the electric compressor for it under the RH plastic near the seat and routed the hose forward to them.

Come stand in front of me and I'll show you how loud they are!:jawdrop:

I don't have the time to dig them out right now, I believe if you search my posts you will find photos.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Click the link in my signature to hear the Freeway blasters. I like em :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
For any Canadians looking, Princess Auto has the Fiamm horns on sale this coming week for 11.99, both low and high tone.

Ken

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nathan Airchime K3HA.......
...and I thought I was obsessive! I am impressed!

This is one of my stages, working towards the perfect horn...

YouTube - Early Horn Prototype

If you listen very carefully, you can hear the echo coming across Pineview Reservoir. The reservoir is to the left, and at that point is a tenth of a mile across.

At this point, the horn is very loud. The person riding the bike wants to have earplugs when the horn is blown. But in my personal opinion, the salient feature of the horn is it's tone. It sounds like a diesel truck barreling down upon you. Let me share a few choice blows...

A guy in a truck made an illegal Right turn, cutting me off and forcing me to slam on my brakes. I blew my horn at him, and he pulled over! When I passed him, he was looking over his shoulder at the traffic behind him. Probably looking for that big truck he pissed off.

I was on a ride up over Monte Cristo; a high pass here in Utah. We stopped at the summit for a break, near a construction area. Another rider was admiring my horn and said: "I've got to hear it!" I had been waiting all day for an excuse, so I let loose on it for him. We all had a good laugh as the sound echoed through the alpine forest. Then we had a really good laugh as this construction worker came wandering over the edge of the hill, looking for the truck he heard blow it's horn.

I was "stuck" at an intersection with another biker. There was a lady in a cage set up to make a left turn, but was not turning even though there was no opposing traffic. Instead she was yakking away on her cell phone. She had her window rolled all the way down. I gave her a short blast and she almost dropped her phone out the window! She had to grab for it to save it! She hung up and got the heck out of our way. This was one of the most rewarding moments of my life! (sad, yes.)

To all you horn-haters: you might say that a loud horn is not needed. You might say that I should not need a horn, if I was a conscientious driver I would never be in a situation requiring such a loud horn. To you I say what are you smoking? That is like saying I should not need a helmet, because if I was a conscientious driver I should never put myself in a situation that would require such drastic measures.

Is my horn antisocial? Hell yes! Just chalk it up to my "biker" personality!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts