StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new-to-me, mostly stock Wee Strom for about 10 days now. The gel seat and OEM handguard kit arrived today. My Wilbers replacement spring for the rear shock arrived last week as did my Sonic Springs fork springs. I bolted a $20 toolbox from Lowes onto the rack to serve as a poor-mans topcase. And I wore out the rear tire this weekend (the bike came with a brand new, unmounted tire).

Hopefully it will all be back in one piece by the weekend.

BTW, the gel seat is great. It added the height I needed to make my legs happy and the extra height makes the bars feel good now too. They felt too high before. I will note that the cover on the gel seat doesn't fit perfectly (slight wrinkle), but I can live with that for $140 (versus nearly $400 for Corbin, et al).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone that's curious, here's a pic of an OEM shock with a Wilbers spring on it. Taking the shock off was a little tedious, but no big deal if you have a centerstand. Just remove the links, then the preload knob, then the shock bolts. I had the rear wheel off already to get a new tire mounted (Tourance). I had the local shop swap the spring since I don't own a spring compressor. Cost me $38 for the spring swap. Re-installing the shock was similarly easy.

I found that I went from darn near maxing out the preload (180 # with gear) with the stock spring to not needing any preload with the Wilbers. I don't have quite enough sag with no preload, but a little extra ride height probably means I don't have to raise the forks in the triple clamps to sharpen the steering now. It also means that I should be able to set the sag appropriately for two-up with some luggage.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have the same brand front springs and teh Wilbut spring in the rear. Did you get the remote adjuster? Oh, you just got the spring, check.
I love my setup and have never bottomed out and can scrape teh pegs riding 2 up. I am running thicker than stock oil in the front springs. I hardly know a speed bump is there at 30 to 35 mph. Love it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
shock length

What is the shock length eye to eye? I have an ohlins shock fromm a CAnnondale that measures 15.75 inches wondering if it would work on Strom.

garry said:
For anyone that's curious, here's a pic of an OEM shock with a Wilbers spring on it. Taking the shock off was a little tedious, but no big deal if you have a centerstand. Just remove the links, then the preload knob, then the shock bolts. I had the rear wheel off already to get a new tire mounted (Tourance). I had the local shop swap the spring since I don't own a spring compressor. Cost me $38 for the spring swap. Re-installing the shock was similarly easy.

I found that I went from darn near maxing out the preload (180 # with gear) with the stock spring to not needing any preload with the Wilbers. I don't have quite enough sag with no preload, but a little extra ride height probably means I don't have to raise the forks in the triple clamps to sharpen the steering now. It also means that I should be able to set the sag appropriately for two-up with some luggage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts