StromTrooper banner

Let my wee fall over today....

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  superslomo 
#1 ·
Stopped by my car to pick something up and next thing I knew it was on it's side. I think I missed the side stand (or something). Felt like a complete idiot. Broke off the shift lever toe piece. Will try to fix. The good news, crash bar did it's job and I now know I can pick the bike up, if I'm mad enough.......

#2 ·
Not too bad. I was putting the bike on the center stand at the gas station and managed to throw it over on the right side away from me. Pretty clever of me.
I only bent the bar end weight a little.
Some times those pockets of gravity sneak up us and do the drity work.

#3 ·
I did basically the same thing yesterday. I was taking it off of the centerstand for the first time and it just fell away from me. Luckily, it was in my garage and I had just installed my bags so all I did was put a small scuff on the right side bag. Lesson learned.

#5 ·
After having my previous Wee fall over due to an operator induced side stand error, I've learned that the last thing to do before leaning the bike over is to be sure the side stand is all the way down. If the bike has moved, even a little, I don't take a chance that the stand bumped something and is out of position. Give it a kick. Then lean.

#6 ·
Did the same thing many years back to my Kawasaki Nomad. Drove into garage. Keyed off bike. Hopped off. Bang. Forgot the side stand. Eh. It happens.

#7 ·
it's also nice to be ON the bike sometimes and rock it off the centerstand. I'm 5'6" and can pull it off. or, as someone said, lean it TOWARD you as it comes off the centerstand. also, if my daughter is on the back, I'll put the side stand down on the tarmac before she gets off, so I don't have to fight her movement as she dismounts.

#8 · (Edited)
Fortunately, I learned how to forget one thing or another, time and time again, on a really light bike, a Ninja ZX6R. It was a breeze to pick back up... all couple-dozen times, or so!:green_lol: LOL! God, I felt like I dropped that bike as many times as I didn't.
Started it in gear a few times = BANG :hurray:
Slowly turning in a gravely parking lot, resulting in .005mph lowsides = BANG at least 5 times :yesnod:
Forgot the side stand at least half a dozen times = BANG and CRACK (mirrors shatter):biggrinjester:
That was a fun bike, cause I just didn't have to worry about making it look good, and more than a couple of dumb yet hot chicks still dug it :thumbup: ahh, young and single... fun times

But, Hey...Back to the point! Lesson seemingly learned! Since getting all my other bikes, it hasn't happened again... yet.

#14 ·
If you've got any kind of meaningful downhill slope, and the bike is running, and you put it on the sidestand in neutral, facing down said slope, it will fall over.

Ask me how I know?

Ask me whether the driveway slopes away from the garage door at my house?

You're lucky... I broke my turn signal, and garbooned the connector for my clutch starter interlock switch. Buell Uly signals all the way, at this point... also, it was good to find I could pick the thing up no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.