StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount a power outlet like the one below in that flat part of the dash to the left of the instruments. I can kind of, almost reach around behind the panel and it seems to be clear there for a hole big enough to mount it. Reaching the lock nut to tighten is another issue.

What have you guys done to mount an outlet on the dash? Do I have to remove the dash? Because I really don't want to remove anything.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I want to mount a power outlet like the one below in that flat part of the dash to the left of the instruments. What have you guys done to mount an outlet on the dash? Do I have to remove the dash? Because I really don't want to remove anything.
Yes, I took it apart but didn't measure properly before drilling, so I'll get that opportunity again on a new dash. The red tape covers the bad hole. There is a metal fairing brace right behind and you can't put anything there that has any depth.

Please note that I also have my ABS on/off switch and my Single Headlight on/off on that piece too.

I don't have any other dashboard. But do have a GPS mount point behind the windshield.

Is that what you were thinking?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Lots of options! I was going to post a picture of my Adventure Tech shelf, but it looks just like above. I love that I can swap out my power socket options any time... pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I did the same as spike's 12vdc plug for my USB plugs (right side) and voltmeter (left side). Fortunately, I only had to drill once for each as I realized the metal fairing brace lies behind the dash. Even so, there's limited real estate behind the dash on that vertical section. Were I to do it again, I'd do like Dwighop and spike's ABS/headligh switches and install on the horizontal section.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I took it apart but didn't measure properly before drilling, so I'll get that opportunity again on a new dash. The red tape covers the bad hole. There is a metal fairing brace right behind and you can't put anything there that has any depth.

Please note that I also have my ABS on/off switch and my Single Headlight on/off on that piece too.

I don't have any other dashboard. But do have a GPS mount point behind the windshield.

Is that what you were thinking?
My humble location. .
I did the same as spike's 12vdc plug for my USB plugs (right side) and voltmeter (left side). Fortunately, I only had to drill once for each as I realized the metal fairing brace lies behind the dash. Even so, there's limited real estate behind the dash on that vertical section. Were I to do it again, I'd do like Dwighop and spike's ABS/headligh switches and install on the horizontal section.
Oh yeah, this is what I'm talking about! That's the part that I'm calling the 'dashboard', that spot to the right and left of the instrument cover. Thanks for the pointers, guys. I'll start drilling some day soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my dealer install this for me right before a 300 mile trip a few weeks ago. I got a guote from them and it was extremely reasonable. I was only charged an hour of labor and the price of the power socket. There is room but just enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Already installed power port when I bought

My 2013 650DL had this power port and switch installed by the previous owner when I bought it. Works fine. Don't know if he took the panel apart to do it, but obviously, it can be done in this location.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, everyone! I finally got up the nerve to take a hole saw to plastic for the first time on this bike. It's a weird feeling, poking holes in a perfectly good motorcycle, but it's worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts