StromTrooper banner

Let’s ride!

5258 Views 35 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  EdmoBros
Looking for other riders to join up. Come springtime I’ll be hitting the roads looking for adventure. Pavement and dirt/gravel roads are fine with me. Living in Grants Pass and I love the area around Prospect - Crater Lake. Looking to expand out to Bend or farther east. Fort Rock is on my list. Mt. Shasta, the coast, where ever. Sooner or later it will be the likes of Monument Valley, Chaco Canyon, maybe Gettysburg! 😳 I’ll see you out there.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Sky
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Grants Pass puts you in prime riding territory. Is Fields Station on your radar for a milkshake?

norcal has some great riding too.

Im in SE Washington. Due south of here is E OR and more good riding.

Days are getting longer. If I was smart I'd retire so I could do my long rides now before the heat returns. Last summer the 112F days in my school bus w no AC about did me in. There's more air flow on the moto but less shade.

· Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grants Pass puts you in prime riding territory. Is Fields Station on your radar for a milkshake?

norcal has some great riding too.

Im in SE Washington. Due south of here is E OR and more good riding.

Days are getting longer. If I was smart I'd retire so I could do my long rides now before the heat returns. Last summer the 112F days in my school bus w no AC about did me in. There's more air flow on the moto but less shade.
Funny because RIGHT NOW I’m watching YouTube videos about the Alvord desert and the guy is at Fields Station having breakfast and a shake. Says it’s the best he’s ever had. I’ll head out when it’s warmer because I’m skinny as a toothpick and old so I get cold easily. Don’t like the cold.🥶 Another place on my list will be the Palouse area in Washington. I am a passionate hobby photographer and it looks amazing there. Any ideas to share on that? Thanks for the reply. 👍🏻🙂

· Registered
407 Posts
Here's a link to some sights in the Palouse area: https://www.scenicwa.com/palouse-scenic-byway

And: Washington Scenic Roads

I've been up Steptoe Butte, it requires an entry fee but if you're going to visit many WA state parks it's worthwhile to buy a Disscover Pass. The view from the top of the Butte is interesting.

Little town sorta between Kennewick and Steptoe Butte is Starbuck, WA. No Starbucks coffee shop there, but I think there's a local diner.

Get out a map and trace the small roads linking the small towns, many of them are one lane or a lane and a half, paved, some broken up, some gravel sections, they're mostly fun. Trace the rivers too. There are some nice roads along some of them.

Fields Station used to claim that they proffered the World's Best Milkshake. I tried twice to get there on long trips, got deterred twice, a third attempt is long overdue.

When you head out into the high desert be sure to stay hydrated; dehydration sneaks up on you and is not pleasant is not attended to.

I'm also old, but not skinny. Cold is my comfort zone, much above 70 and I start getting uncomfortable.

Enjoy the planning and then the doing!

· Registered
2,857 Posts
I am a passionate hobby photographer and it looks amazing there. Any ideas to share on that?
good to hear, make sure you check, and contribute here:

· Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a link to some sights in the Palouse area: https://www.scenicwa.com/palouse-scenic-byway

And: Washington Scenic Roads

I've been up Steptoe Butte, it requires an entry fee but if you're going to visit many WA state parks it's worthwhile to buy a Disscover Pass. The view from the top of the Butte is interesting.

Little town sorta between Kennewick and Steptoe Butte is Starbuck, WA. No Starbucks coffee shop there, but I think there's a local diner.

Get out a map and trace the small roads linking the small towns, many of them are one lane or a lane and a half, paved, some broken up, some gravel sections, they're mostly fun. Trace the rivers too. There are some nice roads along some of them.

Fields Station used to claim that they proffered the World's Best Milkshake. I tried twice to get there on long trips, got deterred twice, a third attempt is long overdue.

When you head out into the high desert be sure to stay hydrated; dehydration sneaks up on you and is not pleasant is not attended to.

I'm also old, but not skinny. Cold is my comfort zone, much above 70 and I start getting uncomfortable.

Enjoy the planning and then the doing!
Thanks for the info. Stay safe out there.👍🏻🙂

· Registered
139 Posts
Another place on my list will be the Palouse area in Washington.
I make a pilgrimage out there every summer to strafe SR261 a couple times (if it's hot enough, hopping in the river at Lyons Ferry is glorious), roll around the Palouse for a few days, make a run up the Spiral Highway, and eat some huckleberry pie in Elk River.

· Registered
5,332 Posts
If you make it to Gettysburg I'm about 20 minutes West in Chambersburg. If your need tires changed during your trip you are more then welcome to ship tires to me and have them waiting. I have a tire machine, lift, tools and beer and not afraid to use them individually or simultaneously. My fee is free including properly disposing of your old tires...well almost free. In return I ask you donate blood, donate time and/or money to a charity or some how pay it forward. Its up to you to decide what is right.

Cheers,

P-14

· Registered
6,879 Posts
Welcome from just outside Medford. My folks lived in Billings for years, so I've been on lots of roads between here and there along with the coast and eastern Oregon.
You've heard of the July gathering in Crescent City, right? Under the events subforum.
Some years ago, I had heard the legend of the burger and shake at Fields Station. I routed a trip through there one year, gassed up at Denio Junction, and walked into the cafe to use the restroom. They were serving delicious smelling food, I was starving hungry, but I was determined to get to Fields. Half hour later I find myself at Fields Station, the cafe has a sign on the door, closed for a memorial for a local young guy that died in a car accident. Back to Denio Junction I go, figured I'd get one of those sandwiches at that Cafe. I get there, and the door says, yup... closed for a memorial for a young guy that died in a car accident. It was a long hungry ride from Denio Junction to Lakeview where I got food and a room for the night. A few years later, I did get there for lunch, and it is worth the side trip.
Hwy 97 then Silver Lake, then Christmas Valley for Fort Rock and crack in the ground is a nice route.
If you want to meet for coffee or a ride, PM me.
Byron.

Fort Rock:

Cloud Sky Land vehicle Tire Plant

· Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you make it to Gettysburg I'm about 20 minutes West in Chambersburg. If your need tires changed during your trip you are more then welcome to ship tires to me and have them waiting. I have a tire machine, lift, tools and beer and not afraid to use them individually or simultaneously. My fee is free including properly disposing of your old tires...well almost free. In return I ask you donate blood, donate time and/or money to a charity or some how pay it forward. Its up to you to decide what is right.

Cheers,

P-14
Wow! That’s an incredibly generous offer. Thank you for that.🙂 And maybe, just maybe I’ll make that trip. I have no experience mounting tires but I can hold onto a beer as good as the best of them lol. It is the history of your area that I find interesting. And after that I can head south to visit cousins in Alabama. Why not? Have a great week my friend.👍🏻👊🏻🙂

· Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome from just outside Medford. My folks lived in Billings for years, so I've been on lots of roads between here and there along with the coast and eastern Oregon.
You've heard of the July gathering in Crescent City, right? Under the events subforum.
Some years ago, I had heard the legend of the burger and shake at Fields Station. I routed a trip through there one year, gassed up at Denio Junction, and walked into the cafe to use the restroom. They were serving delicious smelling food, I was starving hungry, but I was determined to get to Fields. Half hour later I find myself at Fields Station, the cafe has a sign on the door, closed for a memorial for a local young guy that died in a car accident. Back to Denio Junction I go, figured I'd get one of those sandwiches at that Cafe. I get there, and the door says, yup... closed for a memorial for a young guy that died in a car accident. It was a long hungry ride from Denio Junction to Lakeview where I got food and a room for the night. A few years later, I did get there for lunch, and it is worth the side trip.
Hwy 97 then Silver Lake, then Christmas Valley for Fort Rock and crack in the ground is a nice route.
If you want to meet for coffee or a ride, PM me.
Byron.

Fort Rock:

View attachment 298217
Yeah, coffee sounds good. I’m new to adv riding and lack some gear for sure. Maybe you have some good advice that I scan use. I’ll pm you when it warms up a bit more. Thanks!
I make a pilgrimage out there every summer to strafe SR261 a couple times (if it's hot enough, hopping in the river at Lyons Ferry is glorious), roll around the Palouse for a few days, make a run up the Spiral Highway, and eat some huckleberry pie in Elk River.
Strafing runs? Maybe I’ll bring my kid brother. He just turned 60. These pics are from about 4 years ago. That’s his FZ1 and the tires on it. He now has an 07 VStrom 1000. I have not ridden with him yet on the stroms but I’m sure he will test the limits of traction.👍🏻👊🏻🙂
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Headlamp

· Registered
6,879 Posts
I have a 2014 DL1000 now, and enjoy roads like Bear Camp Rd, Graves Creek, Briggs Valley Rd etc, mostly blacktop, broken asphalt and occasional gravel parts, but not intense ADV single track trail riding. Too old for that stuff. Some nice twisty roads followed by a cup of coffee at Rogue Coffee Roasters in GP is great. Klamath River Hwy to Weitchpec Bald Hills Rd to Orick and home through Crescent City. Elderberry Flats to Gailsville Reservoir to Canyonville and home, lots of good single lane paved forest road around here.

· Registered
143 Posts
I live between Salem and Portland, love to join you for a ride. The Alvord and Steens are great, you've got the Coos Bay Wagon road and Burnt Mountain not far off, the road to Agness out of Merlin, the Takilma/Happy camp road opens up a world of dirt and pavementall in your neighborhood. Just hoping to get past this cold spell we're on, I have plans to ride over to the coast this weekend for some camping.

· Registered
35 Posts
Hello from Woodland, CA! I am very familiar with the areas being discussed here, or at least I used to be. Born and raised
in Crescent City (home of the tetrapod!) and rafted the Rogue River from Grants Pass to Agness a couple dozen times as well as the Umpqua. There's certainly a lot of great riding up there, for sure, but there's a lot to the south of you as well. If you feel like wandering this direction let me know and I'd be happy to meet up and share the ride or show you some roads in this area. I have a 2014 DL1000 and I'm set up for camping and touring. I come up through there on my way to CC periodically. You're welcome to join me for the scenic cruise down to the coast. HWY 199 is a fun run on a motorcycle with a good mix of twisties, sweepers, and straights, (oh my!) . A couple pix of my ride.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
402 Posts
Greetings from Clackamas Oregon. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Sold my 650 V-Strom last year and kicked myself day one. Tried to make my CRF300L suffice but it's a no-go. Just picked up a low mile 2018 650 V-Strom and am in the midst of adding some goodies.

I'm up for a Southern Oregon run. I usually pack my backpack gear or hotel/motel... At 59 still working for a year or two but have tons of time off options.

· Registered
402 Posts
Took a quick look at the route. Has anyone done this area? How much is on non-paved roads and what are the conditions for those roads? I can do off-pavement but nothing technical on my Wee-Strom. Thanks!

· Registered
407 Posts
Add in Mt Ashland ski resort road and then cross I-5 and go down 273 where you'll find a turn greater than 360*.

When are you riding this route? I'm in SE Washington, it'd be a long day to get to Grants Pass.

· Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took a quick look at the route. Has anyone done this area? How much is on non-paved roads and what are the conditions for those roads? I can do off-pavement but nothing technical on my Wee-Strom. Thanks!
The eastern side of Mt. Shasta looks to be flat forest roads. Everything else is pavement. I imagine the pace will be fairly slow. Well, my pace anyway.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.