StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I took a leisurely stroll Friday Afternoon to our favorite local dirt road. On the way home, we ran into a slight problem when a rock became lodged between the back of the front fender and the tire whilst in a left sweeping turn. Road the bike into the ditch and then high sided. We were thrown forward and came out in pretty decent shape, considering what had happened.

Fortunately, we were able to get the bike up and going, and drive to the hospital where, luckily, Sharon's hand had an x-ray and no broken bones could be found.

Lesson 1: If you run the TKC on the front, modify your fender for additional clearance. This may or may not make a difference, but it sounds like a good idea right now!

Lesson 2: Any crap attached to the dash or handlebars is going to attempt to grab you upon launching. I had a RAM X holder for my cell phone, mounted on the Strombone. Sharon caught her right leg on it, luckily it just scratched it a bit. It could have been worst. Just installed the Euro sport screen and had it at the lowest setting, thankfully it was not a large screen that may have snagged us.

Lesson 3: All the Gear All the Time – No exception. Sharon had Olympia Airglide jacket and pants, Olympia Kevlar gloves, Sidi boots and an Arai helmet. I had Olympia moto x pants, Dainese Jacket, Sidi boots, Aerostich gloves and Shoei Hornet. Again, her hand is in horrible shape but getting better, but nothing is broken, no other rips, tears or broken bones. I took some impact above my left hip.

Lesson 4: The Protaper CR bars are bomb proof, wow!

Lesson 5: The OEM mirrors cannot support the weight of the bike.

Stripped the bike down and am slowly putting it back together. Frame and forks are great, some of the plastic not so good. Madstad bracket was crushed, but straightened out and works well. Happy trails rack snapped and shifted, will have to weld it up, boxes need pounded flat. Left side is bulged out, right side is dented in from the rack. Absolutely no side impact! Front headlights are perfect. Indicators not touched. No dents or broken plastic, just a couple minor cracks.

Need to replace: Mirrors and hand guards. Will install the Elka while it is still apart, and am thinking of a Holeshot exhaust system while I’m at it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Glad you two are OK. Touratech makes a fender you might want to look at.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Wow! Is that a hand?

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Now thats a situation i never would have imagined. I guess anything could get stuck in there and jam the tire, but it would have to be pretty solid. That rock must have been the perfect size to get stuck between the knobs and lifted. You wouldnt want to take the fender off or that rock may get chucked and damage something, so the higher fender sounds like the best solution.

Good luck on the healing and repairs.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That is my beautiful wife's E.T. "Phone home" impersonation!
Tell her that she is a Trooper! Sorry she has to go thru the healing process but it's better than the alternative.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tell her that she is a Trooper! Sorry she has to go thru the healing process but it's better than the alternative.
She IS a trooper, who cannot wait to get the bike back together to get a few more rides in before winter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
...On the way home, we ran into a slight problem when a rock became lodged between the back of the front fender and the tire whilst in a left sweeping turn.
I don't quite understand what happened here. Did the tire actually lock up? How did it affect your control of the bike? Obviously you said you went into a ditch, but did it cause you to stand the bike up or just run wide?

I'm not trying to be critical or monday morning quarterback you, I'm just trying to get a better idea of what happened so I can be more aware when riding. Better to learn from others mistakes, right?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't quite understand what happened here. Did the tire actually lock up? How did it affect your control of the bike? Obviously you said you went into a ditch, but did it cause you to stand the bike up or just run wide?

I'm not trying to be critical or monday morning quarterback you, I'm just trying to get a better idea of what happened so I can be more aware when riding. Better to learn from others mistakes, right?

Riding on a dirt/sand/gravel mixed road and approached a left sweeping turn, I know this road like the back of my hand, so I slowed down well before entering the turn, no braking whatsoever. This particular section has random sized rocks that are constantly rolling off the cutbank from above. As we started to enter the turn there was a scraping sound, and the front tire completely locked up. This sent us into the ditch perpendicular to the road. When we hit the ditch, the front end stuck and the rear end came over the top, bike became airborne, landed upside down, first impacting the top rear section of my boxes followed by the top of the front fairing.

I landed head first about five feet from where the bike came to rest, my wife was 5 feet further down the road. She impact left wrist first followed by her head. After assess her needs, I picked the bike up, but it would not budge. I then dropped it back to its side and kicked the tire so that it would rotate backwards. This dislodged the rock, and we were able to ride back to the house/hospital. Due to the urgent need to get back to town, I did not take the time to take pictures, this was not the time for that.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Pretty rare occurrence I imagine. It shows that anything that can happen, will. Glad you two came out relatively ok. It's interesting that when the front tire locked up that it didn't just slide considering you were on dirt. generally, locking the front on dirt doesn't result in your conclusion. I would fathom a guess that once locked, the tire hit an embedded rock or pot hole launching you both. Regardless, not a fun scenario.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's interesting that when the front tire locked up that it didn't just slide considering you were on dirt. generally, locking the front on dirt doesn't result in your conclusion. I would fathom a guess that once locked, the tire hit an embedded rock or pot hole launching you both. Regardless, not a fun scenario.
As we entered the corner, the tire locked-up. We then slid straight (as opposed to continuing through the corner) a good 15-20 feet before hitting the 6" berm, we remained upright over the berm into the small ditch (when I say ditch, think of a rut whose soul purpose is to catch errant rocks and provide some run-off capture). once in the ditch, I would assume a combination of soft soil and rocks caused the bike to do a head stand/Circus maneuver.

I do agree that the resulting conclusion is a bit odd. If you are on loose material and grab a handful of front brake entering a corner, what happens? You break loose and the front will wash out on you. In this case, I wish it would have washed out, then I could say I"I had to lay it over!" We would have separated from the bike, dusted ourselves off and continue home to have a drink and maybe more ;). I think the difference is that brakes provide equal pressure and steering does not change so drastically. When the rock lodged itself, the controls jerked hard left and we stayed upright!

When I ride alone, I push things a bit further than I probably should, I accept it. I love to ride. When 2-up, the pace changes, but the route remains the same. Sometimes she gets off and will walk, sometimes we stay on and push the envelope a bit. However in this case, as careful as I tried to be, "it" just happened.

I cannot change the fluke nature of the events (without giving up riding), however I can learn from this and make it safer for both my wife and I. First, provide more clearance between the front tire and fender. This may prevent a future occurrence. Next, clear the handlebars and dash area of anything that could potentially harm the rider or pillion if ejected from the bike.

We could get a Tenere, KTM, another BMW. We could get two smaller bikes, or stay on the tarmac. But that is not us, it is not where we find our pleasure. This bike was chosen together with the purpose of escaping the world. I love this cheap, poor mans versions of a (enter manufacturers name here). Show me another 500 + pound hippopobike that can take such a hit and then get us home safely, and only require mirrors, handguards, front fender and some tweaking of the luggage and rack!

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
On a muddy dirt road I have had the area between the front fender and tire fill up with mud and stones. Not much space there on street bikes so it's a cause for concern. In my case I was also slipping around so much I retreated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have a gray original set of fairing off an '04 650 that would fit yours
thats: headlight assembly, upper cowl (the black piece around the headlight), left and right upper cowling, front fender, mirrors, bar ends, turn signals
PM me if ur interested

1 - 20 of 37 Posts