StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I wear earplugs, but when I'm tootling a few blocks to lunch or something, my Vee's fairing sends up all sorts of plasticky rattles, plonks, and squeaks as I bounce merrily 'twixt potholes, frost heaves, and pavement patches. It's even worse on gravel roads.

Everything is assembled correctly, the fasteners are all present and tight, the two fairing mount bolts are tight, all the fairing pins are new (the old ones are on duty as spares if needed), and nothing is broken, cracked, etc. I can't find any rub marks, elongated holes, or anything obvious to point to the source of the noises. The bike has about 77,000+ miles.

Any good overall strategies for quieting things down? Are there points that are known to make noise? Should I line the fairing with cork or pressed mohair?

Or should I just wear earplugs and live with the embarrassment of sounding like I'm dragging a Fisher-Price toy down the street?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Normally I wear earplugs, but when I'm tootling a few blocks to lunch or something, my Vee's fairing sends up all sorts of plasticky rattles, plonks, and squeaks as I bounce merrily 'twixt potholes, frost heaves, and pavement patches. It's even worse on gravel roads.

Everything is assembled correctly, the fasteners are all present and tight, the two fairing mount bolts are tight, all the fairing pins are new (the old ones are on duty as spares if needed), and nothing is broken, cracked, etc. I can't find any rub marks, elongated holes, or anything obvious to point to the source of the noises. The bike has about 77,000+ miles.

Any good overall strategies for quieting things down? Are there points that are known to make noise? Should I line the fairing with cork or pressed mohair?

Or should I just wear earplugs and live with the embarrassment of sounding like I'm dragging a Fisher-Price toy down the street?
When I hear the clutch chudder...I think it sounds horrible. So, my question is this: Which is worse? Chudder or faring squeeks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My faring rattles pretty good also. Also have a new noise now, sonds like a rythmic growling/grinding noise from somewhere around the tranny output. Only happens when first strting form a stop at low speed but under torque. As the speed goes up the noise goes away. The bike has around 68000 miles and I am looking for a whole new low mileage motor to put in. One of the noisiest bikes I have ever owned, and I own an 04 ktm sxc lc4 so I know noisy motors.

·
Registered
522 Posts
On most fairings/body panels they have dampeners where the parts contacts the frame work (excuse me if the strom doesn't as I haven't tore one apart yet). These dampeners will get compressed over time and become hard. This makes things rattle and make noises. Replace/install new dampers and it will alleviate most of the rattles and squeaks.

Any closed cell dense foam will work. Use some 3M spray adheasive to attach the foam to the body panels.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
My Vee rattles like a worn out Yugo going over railroad tracks. I just learned to find it comforting.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On most fairings/body panels they have dampeners where the parts contacts the frame work (excuse me if the strom doesn't as I haven't tore one apart yet). These dampeners will get compressed over time and become hard. This makes things rattle and make noises. Replace/install new dampers and it will alleviate most of the rattles and squeaks.

Any closed cell dense foam will work. Use some 3M spray adheasive to attach the foam to the body panels.

The V-Strom doesn't have these dampers or cushions, but perhaps it should... good idea. I'll try adding some cushions here and there next time I'm in there.

And how the heck have you avoided taking the tupperware off your Vee for this long? :confused:

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Vee rattles like a worn out Yugo going over railroad tracks. I just learned to find it comforting.
Glad to hear I'm not alone. I've never felt like anything's going to fall apart or hurt itself. All the noise from just riding on city streets is annoying.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fairing rattle

I was trying to see if I could quiet mine down and noticed a crack in the faring between the headlites at the bottom where it gets narrow.its easy to overlook.
When you hit bumps it whacks itself pretty good like hitting a drum.I imagine the tall windshields are creating lots of stress there.
Too cheap to buy a new fairing so I got kevlar tape and put a couple of layers of that then covered it with black duck tape.You have to look pretty close to notice the repair.
It really made a difference.It even makes you think your forks are working better on harsh bumps but of course they aren't

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
If it's plastic or rubber skeaking, use silicone lube. If metal, use oil or grease. If it rattles - align, shim, tighten.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine does the same thing...:thumbdown: the bigger the bump, the louder the clashing of plastic, its all up front too,, and mine only has 11,700 some miles...:yikes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts