StromTrooper banner

Less buffeting on early DL 1000s?

1K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  trailbuster30 
#1 ·
I recently talked to a couple of owners of early 1000s that say with the addition of nearly any tall aftermarket windscreen they notice very little buffeting, so I'm curious if the cause of buffeting on the wee strom is because of the H bracket that places the screen so far forward. As you guys know the early 1000s screen mounts flush to the cowling.

So it would seem that making an aftermarket screen that is only wider and taller may not be what's needed to eliminate buffeting.
I'm thinking of just doing away with the H bracket on my wee strom and just fabricating a slightly wider, taller screen that would sit as snug as possible to the cowling with a fairly sharp rake to it and maybe a mild turned out lip on top.

I would gladly sacrifice the adjustability of the stock screen to get rid of the turbulent air behind it, if this is the case. Any thoughts or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

G
#2 ·
I had an 03 DL 1000, and I now have a 05 DL 1000. One of the first things I noticed about the 05 is the wind buffeting is not as bad as it was on the 03. I have a habit of stuffing my gloves down in the V of the windshield, one day on my 05 I forgot them there, when I got up to freeway speeds, I noticed that the buffeting was real bad, so I pulled over and put my gloves back on my hands. When I got back up to freeway speeds the buffeting was less. Seems to me that the air flow comming up behind the windshield helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.