StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Strom last weekend and just started the break in process. Only have about 200 miles on the bike so far. I just ordered a set of the Leo Vince SBK slip-on's and they should be here tomorrow. Any reason why I shouldn't go ahead and install them or should they go on after the break-in period?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Without dyno tuning and/or pc3 it may run leaner, therefore personaly I would put at least several hundred miles on it first.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
dklassen said:
I picked up my Strom last weekend and just started the break in process. Only have about 200 miles on the bike so far. I just ordered a set of the Leo Vince SBK slip-on's and they should be here tomorrow. Any reason why I shouldn't go ahead and install them or should they go on after the break-in period?
Putting more mileage on the bike isn't gonna make ANY difference, in how the Strom will handle the new Leo's. You will run much leaner with the new cans....which will make the already lean conditions worse. You will either need a PCIII or a remapping of the FI system, for the bike to run really well. I have the Leos', and am a firm believer that they are one of the "few" manufacturer's, that make REAL racing cans. As far as a break in period....."give that a break", it is unecessary! :wink: Install them first, and see what happens....you'll know what to do next, if need be!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is there a reason why you guys went with Leo's instead of lets say 2Bro's or other ones? My DL1K is all stock for now, getting PCIII next week, considering some new pipes for the next project. Also, what place did you got the pipes from, or is it a secret?? :)

Thanx
Greg
'06 DL1K red(ish)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me it was price, sound and quality. The price was right, quality was excellent and they aren't as loud as some. Talked with LeoVince this morning they their techs told me that no remap should be necessary. They said install them then disconnect the battery so the EFI would reset to the pipes and that should be all I need to do unless I really wanted to play with the mappings for increased performance.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Greg said:
Is there a reason why you guys went with Leo's instead of lets say 2Bro's or other ones?
I did some extensive research a while back when I had my CBR and from all of different pipe reviews that I read in the past (none for V-Strom), Leo's slip-ons were the only ones that consistently improved HP and got the biggest endorsements from MCN. If I ever swap the pipe on my DL650 it’ll be Leo’s.

Wingman

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
wingman said:
Greg said:
Is there a reason why you guys went with Leo's instead of lets say 2Bro's or other ones?
I did some extensive research a while back when I had my CBR and from all of different pipe reviews that I read in the past (none for V-Strom), Leo's slip-ons were the only ones that consistently improved HP and got the biggest endorsements from MCN. If I ever swap the pipe on my DL650 it’ll be Leo’s.

Wingman
Like I said previously...they are REAL race cans. :wink: They have been in the business almost longer than anyone.

Is there a reason why you guys went with Leo's instead of lets say 2Bro's or other ones? My DL1K is all stock for now, getting PCIII next week, considering some new pipes for the next project. Also, what place did you got the pipes from, or is it a secret??

Thanx
Greg
'06 DL1K red(ish)

The 2 bros are known for being quite loud :shock: .....Scorpions are great cans that never need repacked, and sound great, but I don't like polished stainless. Staintunes are way OVERPRICED, never need repacked and overated IMHO, Acropovics and Remus are both at the same level as Leo's.
I liked the removable baffle in the Leo's, they sound about perfect with it in. Baffle removed....and they are louder than 2 Bros. Fit and finish, PRICE, reputation, sound and performance...that is why I went with the Leo's. Checkout Adventure Motostuff, they will hook ya up!

As far as the Leo's being plug and play....I DOUBT IT! Maybe on the 650, but not the 1000. Best of luck, they are great. I turn allot of heads, and get 2 thumbs up from supersport riders, when they hear my bike. 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dale Walker / Holeshot

DK Lassen, This is a message I recently posted concerning the dreaded mid range fuel delivery problems with the DL. I have ordered the Holeshot pipes and TechLusion TFI. This is a viable alternative due to the price point of the LV pipes and PC. Walker is a hands on guy, builds a quality product and can be reached at www.holeshot.com.

DL ayed, I have been in touch with Dale Walker of Holeshot fame. He has tuned quite a few DL's and recently purchased a new DL 1000 for himself. He has done considerable work with Tech Lusion and on his dyno. From the look of the run sheets, he may have found a fix for the mid RPM delivery curve. He is sending me the TFI unit, the settings and his mid pipe and slip on's, so I will know soon. Dealing with someone like Dale is certainly reassuring.
1974 Duc 750 GT

·
Registered
86 Posts
EFI tuning

Hi guys

Well i finally found this site...Ha

I have been working on my new 2006 DL-1000 over the last few weeks. As you know they run a bit ragged in the mid range in stock form and even worse when slip-ons are added.

I have been testing the Dobeck TFI box and made up a new plug in kit working with the company. I picked up 6+ hp in the lower rpm range and 3 to 4 most every where else and really smoothed it out very nice. I spent over 6 hours on my dyno getting the A/F where i want it for steady cruise, light load and wide open throttle.

My tuning was done to match my own Holeshot Performace DL-1000 slip-ons but it should be very close and a good base setting for most others as well.

I will be handling the now new plug in DL-1000 TFI box and also have install tip photos i can e mail you. These will be on my site soon as well. I will also give you my base settings that should be very close.

My bike got poor fuel mileage totally stock also

With my 95- lb wife on the back and me at only about 170 -lbs, taking it easy i was at about 32 mpg best out on the road.

With my slip-ons installed and my TFI box tune up im now up to 39+ mpg and this was with my 145-lb son on the back gassing it up a bit over the mountain pass , around town and freeway riding.

Last weekend i tested the bike solo riding it to Yosemite 44 mpg and nearly 47 mpg on another tank and it now runs just out standing.

I must say i think the DL-1000 V-Strom set up and running properly is one of my all time favorite motor bikes.

If you have any questions please ask or contact me

Until then ride safe

Hi Mooneyes i will talk to you soon when your TFI unit gets here

Cheers Dale

:wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly when I installed my slip-on's I didn't notice any real difference in the way it ran, even with the baffles out. Ran good stock and ran good with the Leo's. Just for good measure I installed a PCIII and richened it up a bit in all the three ranges and it still felt about the same. Never felt ragged in the mid-range with or without.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At the 600 mile service I had LeoVince/SBKs added and now have 750 miles on the bike - 150 with the LV slip ons. It was painfully loud when I first picked up the bike - I had to ride with ear plugs and my son still refuses to ride on the bike. It seems to be mellowing as I get some miles on it - either that or I am getting used to it.

Most noticeable while riding through the neighborhood - wind noise on the freeway is still louder than the exhaust.

I had the fuel injection remapped, and that made a major difference in rideability. There was a rough spot at 3500 with the stock cans that was pretty unpleasant. That is completely gone and the bike is smoother and revs more cleanly. Its really nice to ride now. Can't wait until 1000 miles to use the full RPM range.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
JeffSmith said:
At the 600 mile service I had LeoVince/SBKs added and now have 750 miles on the bike - 150 with the LV slip ons. It was painfully loud when I first picked up the bike - I had to ride with ear plugs and my son still refuses to ride on the bike. It seems to be mellowing as I get some miles on it - either that or I am getting used to it.

Most noticeable while riding through the neighborhood - wind noise on the freeway is still louder than the exhaust.

I had the fuel injection remapped, and that made a major difference in rideability. There was a rough spot at 3500 with the stock cans that was pretty unpleasant. That is completely gone and the bike is smoother and revs more cleanly. Its really nice to ride now. Can't wait until 1000 miles to use the full RPM range.

Glad you like them!!!! Now.....why you waiting to use the "full" rev range?? Surely you don't buy into the break in crap!!!! :wink: You thought they were loud with the baffles in? I think DEEP and throaty is a much better description! 8)

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
dklassen said:
Honestly when I installed my slip-on's I didn't notice any real difference in the way it ran, even with the baffles out. Ran good stock and ran good with the Leo's. Just for good measure I installed a PCIII and richened it up a bit in all the three ranges and it still felt about the same. Never felt ragged in the mid-range with or without.
That is because you have an 06!!! But....I'll bet the farm that it was still running too lean. If you gave it some time with the Leo's "before" you got a PCIII...I bet that you would complain eventually. :wink: Glad your Strom is running good.....nice color too!

·
Registered
86 Posts
They all vary alot guys

My 2006 poped back now and then totally stock through the intake track at about 3500 to 3900 under light load or even thottle. In this area on my dyno it was over 15.1 A/F ratio. It ran poorly and when i installed my slip-ons it really ran worse.

Just depends on how they are set up from the factory and of course the weather conditons and elevation where you live and ride.

My original test bike a couple years ago ran pretty good un touched, but still could be better im sure.

Cheers D

:wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts