StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone !
Has someone mounted a SW Motech skidplate together with the leo vince fullsystem ? Please let me know as soon as possible, because I've placed an order but not recieved it yet, soo I guess I can cancell it if I have to...

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I have the full leovince system on my 650. The leovince rep assured me that no centerstand would work w/ my system. I'm speculating that the same is true for skidplates, the front pipe sweeps out pretty far and down low as well. I've been next to a couple of stroms w/ skidplates before, (don't know the brand of the plate) but I could easily visually tell that their skidplates wouldn't fit my bike. But I love the exhaust system, and do mild off roading/ trails on occasion w/ no problems yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad news...
Is there someway to modify the skidplate or does the LeoVince pipes go lower then the OEM exhaust ?

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
The leo pipe goes a couple inches lower than the stocker. The stock is flat on the bottom and the leo is sweeping and tubular. If you're into fabrication you could probably make something. Unless you're doing heavy off roading you should be ok; I've been. I'd cancel the skidplate order but still get the leo if I was you. If you're looking for a great exhaust, I'm really happy w/ my full leo system. I didn't think the 650 could sound that throaty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Things made by men can also be changed by men, and I cant stand no for an answer...

Last night I made this and I just want to show you some pics of how I modified the SW motech centerstand to fit together with the leo vince fullsystem.

Further refinement will be made later, the lenght could have been 10 mm's longer, an alternative position for the springs at the lower location will be made by welding a new mounting peg ( sorry for the incorrect english...)

But it works fine by me for now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The Leo Vince pipe WILL NOT work with any center stand or skid plate on the DL 650.
To revive an old thread ...

I have a skid plate on my full Leo Vince system on a 2007 DL650.

Prior to my skid plate I ruined one of the two header pipes by flattening it from bottoming out (not a crash) and i developed a buzzy resonance sound. Luckily Leo Vince allowed me to purchase 1 header pipe for a fair price.

While the above statement is true, that no company retails a stock item to fit, fellow inmate Narcosis Junkie (Yann) did custom make one that works okay with full Leo Vince due to a 1" lower bracket. However, unless you raise the rear of the bike you will scrape on turns ... actually sharp right hand turns can scrape a Leo header even without a skid plate. I added 1" raising links from Burkhart Racing (upgraded to nicer 7075 aluminum), and I had a local metal shop trim the rear corners off Yann's plate and cut off some of the side height to lighten, and I have no scraping in turns ever as a result. Once you raise the rear consider adding a hockey puck to side stand (which will lean over too steep otherwise). I also drilled two extra holes to raise the front 3/4" which helped the skid plate hug the pipe a little better. Sounds like an ordeal, but Yann's plate is inexpensive and local metal shop was also cheap.

How well does modded plate fit? OK, but the bend in the skid plate is stock and is not the ideal shape for the Leo Vince in terms of attaining maximum ground clearance. As far as protection, it is great. You can easily jack the bike up by the (steel) skid plate and it handles it fine. And it does protect off road as I've bottomed many, many times with no resulting damage.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I cannot imagine making a Vstrom any lower. Honestly. I'm not even sure if it can go over a curb without breaking something.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I cannot imagine making a Vstrom any lower. Honestly. I'm not even sure if it can go over a curb without breaking something.
I scraped my SW-Motech skidplate going over a speedbump at ~5mph at work. This was no massive speedbump, just your typical few-inches-high-and-foot-long parking lot bump. Granted, I was loaded down for a camping trip and had not yet increased my preload, but... yeah. Low bike is low.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Motorhead68,
Thanks for your pics of your enter stand. I did a similar mod. I cut and welded the original tab back on and worked perfectly. Now to customize my skid plate.
Thanks again,
David
:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

KevinP, Can you post a couple pics of your modifies skid plate??

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the same issues i love the full system but i need skid plates and main stand too i am using a hepco main stand any...suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
i have the same issues i love the full system but i need skid plates and main stand too i am using a hepco main stand any...suggestions ?
Lucky,

Read my reply from a couple of years ago. I used a semi-custom skidplate on a 2007 DL650 with a full Leo Vince system. Semi-custom means that the producer, Narcosis Junky (Yann) made a 1" lower bracket that worked. To accomodate the loss of ground clearance I raised the rear end with a 1" raising link. Then the kick stand was too short so I added a hockey puck (common on BMW GS bikes), which was counter sunk and worked 100%.

Before I had the skid plate I ruined one header pipe. After the skid plate it was literally rock worthy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts