StromTrooper banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
16,002 Posts
"Someone needs to develop a V-Strom roll cage."

Met a guy years ago that actually built a roll/crash cage around his BMW. An interesting effort and bit over the top.

With all the penalties for impaired driving, the cost to the taxpayer is huge to incarcerate these ne'er do wells.
I'm all for driving/riding unimpaired . Save your imbibing for when you are parked for the night.
If your partaking ends up in an accident or injury, off with your head.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Oh the madness....

I'm not against making it legal for recreation, but they need to set a legal limit, and here is the kicker...be able to test for it. The last part is where I always find opposition. So far, I'm not aware that there is a way to test for the level of impairment, just that it is still in your system.
I took all of 30 seconds to see what Canada put in place...I think it will satisfy your uncertainty about testing...first the officer has to have a "reasonable suspicion" that a person is under the influence of drugs, not just marijuana, while driving based on "objective facts" which they state are "red eyes, muscle tremors, agitation, abnormal speech patterns", then if the officer can "demand an oral fluid sample". Some of these "objective facts" must be for crack or meth and not cannabis.

"If a driver tests positive on an oral fluid drug screener the positive result confirms the presence of the drug and, combined with other signs of impairment or drug use observed by the police at the roadside, may provide grounds for the investigation to proceed further by making a demand for a blood sample."

There is the issue with cannabis, for those who consume it often, and its how traces of it can remain in your system for a long time even after you have consumed it. Levels have been set by the government that seem to take this into account otherwise the first case before a judge is probably going to end up being challenged.

Illegal distribution of cannabis and other drugs carry stiff fines and jail sentences especially if the drugs are sold to minors and the consequences for selling to minors is far far greater than if one sold alcohol to a minor.

In Canada, impaired driving kills more people than any other crime. Some of those who drink and consume drugs always feel they are able to perform their driving skills as if they were sober. Some of us who drive our vehicles or ride our bikes sober know we make mistakes and they're called accidents.

In Canada, alcohol prohibition was very short and in some provinces like my own it only lasted 4 short years. There was never strong support for alcohol prohibition in Canada. In the US prohibition of alcohol lasted 13 years and Canadian distilleries made large sums of money running booze into the US. Most of the "old money rich folks in Canada got their initial wealth from "exporting" liquor to the US. Cannabis prohibition and criminalization has been with us in Canada since 1923 and finally in 2018 the prohibition and criminalization was lifted.

Getting legal sales up and running has been pathetic in most provinces (each province is allowed to set up its own rules for distribution and sales and each municipality can either allow or not allow sales in their towns). A shit show providing yet another clear example that government's are incapable of running a business. So the illegal market still reigns when it could have been so different. For two years provincial and local governments whined about not having enough time to get it together instead of getting it together. Both Washington State and Colorado were already up and running and clear examples of how to get it done and receive benefits. Most of these clowns couldn't govern their way out of wet paper bag. Cheers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I found a study "The Effect of Cannabis Compared with Alcohol on Driving" and I think this may help in understanding the differences and why some people say they can operate their vehicle or motorcycle "safely" while under the influence.

"Detrimental effects of cannabis use vary in a dose-related fashion, and are more pronounced with highly automatic driving functions than with more complex tasks that require conscious control, whereas with alcohol produces an opposite pattern of impairment. Because of both this and an increased awareness that they are impaired, marijuana smokers tend to compensate effectively while driving by utilizing a variety of behavioral strategies. Combining marijuana with alcohol eliminates the ability to use such strategies effectively..."

Like many others here, I don't ride impaired on any substance nor when I'm tired or distressed about something that will reduce my awareness and "conscious control". The reason I ride, besides just the fun of it, is to enjoy the views, the fresh air, the twisties and challenging myself to lean a little further or turn a tighter circle or...I have a brain that can go off in all directions and riding focuses me better than meditation and its loads of fun and when I start daydreaming riding my moto its a signal to pull over and enjoy a rest.

Last fact...25% of all accident fatalities in the US are due to alcohol impairment! Despite what people seem to "feel" about the abilities to drive under any influence of drugs or alcohol it just ain't worth it. Ask those who lose their loved ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thinking to move to Canada. I would enjoy the decision of the government. Why other states are not so open-minded? I'm planning to move there with my boyfriend. I know that this country is open to emigrants, and a bonus is the legalization of cannabis. I read a lot about the benefits of smoking weed, or of CBD oil. As you may see there 10 Best CBD Oil Reviews 2020 - Top Rated CBD For Pain Moreover, I feel a kind of anxiety here in the UK, the work gets me depressed, I work as a waitress, more than 10 hours per day. I guess, my life will be easier if moving to Canada.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Being open minded is a requirement of entry to Canada. That and wanting to be here. 🥳
Anytime I travel around the world, nothing beats coming back home to Canada. We are truly blessed to live here.
And we can legally grow and smoke weed:love:

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I'm 48, grew up in small town Quebec, and now live in Ontario. My wife and I were out for an evening and came across a new store in the area. It's called "SpiritLeaf"... my wife thought it was a new tea store... so we went in! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not kidding, probably 5,000+ sqft of modern/hippy/eco style architecture, digital touch screen on every table to browse their entire catalogue to create your custom order, streaming 70 inch TVs with different flower types with listed strengths and cost/g, cannabis drinks of varying strengths, and other wall to wall cannabis products. I kept looking over my shoulder looking for the cops.. habit from being a punk growing up in Quebec.

Suffice to say, even 2 years later I am surprised how fully main stream it has gone. If my American friends ever visit, I'm happy to give you a tour 😁

And as for the morality of it... I am of the opinion that if we banned alcohol in favour of cannabis, the world would be a better place. My extended family has been ravaged by Alcohol.. and I don't drink as a result of that ancestry 🇨🇦

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
335 Posts
I found a study "The Effect of Cannabis Compared with Alcohol on Driving" and I think this may help in understanding the differences and why some people say they can operate their vehicle or motorcycle "safely" while under the influence.

"Detrimental effects of cannabis use vary in a dose-related fashion, and are more pronounced with highly automatic driving functions than with more complex tasks that require conscious control, whereas with alcohol produces an opposite pattern of impairment. Because of both this and an increased awareness that they are impaired, marijuana smokers tend to compensate effectively while driving by utilizing a variety of behavioral strategies. Combining marijuana with alcohol eliminates the ability to use such strategies effectively..."

Like many others here, I don't ride impaired on any substance nor when I'm tired or distressed about something that will reduce my awareness and "conscious control". The reason I ride, besides just the fun of it, is to enjoy the views, the fresh air, the twisties and challenging myself to lean a little further or turn a tighter circle or...I have a brain that can go off in all directions and riding focuses me better than meditation and its loads of fun and when I start daydreaming riding my moto its a signal to pull over and enjoy a rest.

Last fact...25% of all accident fatalities in the US are due to alcohol impairment! Despite what people seem to "feel" about the abilities to drive under any influence of drugs or alcohol it just ain't worth it. Ask those who lose their loved ones.
Just a few decades ago (~30 years ago) in the U.S...a DUI infraction was not much more severe than a routine traffic ticket.

When I was in the military in the early ‘00’s...the old timers would regale the new people about how in the old days (1980’s and early 90’s)...you weren’t really an adult until you got your first DUI. The First Sergeant would have laughed at you for getting caught...that’s about it. You get a DUI these days...I’d be surprised if you don’t get the boot.

Some areas are still catching up. I was in court for a traffic ticket in the south back in 2003. An older gentleman was called by the judge for his FIFTH DUI. The judge was just like “now Jim, you know I have to suspend your license for six months and fine you $500. Don’t do that again.”

In the U.S. at least...It wasn’t until intense lobbying by groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) that the attitude on drunk driving began to shift.

I believe the issue of driving while impaired by usage of marijuana is one that can be addressed via education and a shift in how people perceive marijuana use. If social pressure dictates that it’s no longer acceptable to ride around hot boxing like Cheech and Chong...people will come around to treating it more seriously. Ex. If you’re going to smoke weed and you have to go somewhere...call an Uber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I meant that this problem will not be able to go away on its own, you need to treat it otherwise everything can only get worse over time. when I first encountered it, I didn't immediately understand what it was and how to get rid of it, because I was completely out of focus and couldn't make any decisions at all. That's when my brother started looking for a solution to the problem and found it thanks to https://www.koalitymedicinals.com/ which turned out to be very useful in similar and similar situations for many people around the world, the reviews were very positive, which is why my brother suggested that I try it. Now I have completely got rid of this depressive state

121 - 130 of 130 Posts