StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can ride my new (to me) Wee just fine (and fast, thank you!:rolleyes1: ) but I am having a tough time picking a riding style. While chasing some of my riding buddies on sport bikes (what Ive ridden all my life) I noticed from a buddy's gopro footage that I am riding the Wee in this strange combination of every riding style I know.

Fast sweepers: I'm butt off the seat, knee out, head and shoulders off to the inside of the turn, smooooooth...just like a sport bike.
Slow, decreasing or very tight corners: I'm riding it like a dirt bike...jewels up on the tank, elbows out, weight on the outside peg, inside foot out and bike cranked way over with heavy counter steering and very aggressive throttle input to get the back end around and bike stood up.
Medium speed turns: I cant even be bothered to move in my cushy seat.lol just lean in with my head and let the bike do the rest:confused:

I use to pride myself on perfect technique and smooth, precise inputs. On my sport bikes, my friends joke that I pull out my brake bulbs because they never see me braking... What is this thing doing to me? Could it be a result of trying anything I can to get this big old girl around corners on pace with sportbikes, or is this bike ruining me? lol

How do you guys find your riding style?

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Ok so not really serious, I can ride my new (to me) Wee just fine (and fast, thank you!:rolleyes1: ) but I am having a tough time picking a riding style. While chasing some of my riding buddies on sport bikes (what Ive ridden all my life) I noticed from a buddy's gopro footage that I am riding the Wee in this strange combination of every riding style I know.
Fast sweepers: I'm butt off the seat, knee out, head and shoulders off to the inside of the turn, smooooooth...just like a sport bike.
Slow, decreasing or very tight corners: I'm riding it like a dirt bike...jewels up on the tank, elbows out, weight on the outside peg, inside foot out and bike cranked way over with heavy counter steering and very aggressive throttle input to get the back end around and bike stood up.
Medium speed turns: I cant even be bothered to move in my cushy seat.lol just lean in with my head and let the bike do the rest:confused:

I use to pride myself on perfect technique and smooth, precise inputs. My friends joke that I pull out my brake bulbs because they never seem me braking... What is this thing doing to me? Could it be a result of trying anything I can to get this big old girl around corners on pace with sportbikes, or is this bike ruining me? lol

Umm, sit on bike. Turn handle. Go.

Is there something I'm missing here?

:beatnik:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Medium speed turns: I cant even be bothered to move in my cushy seat.lol just lean in with my head and let the bike do the rest
That's me 99% of the time! Enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I can ride my new (to me) Wee just fine (and fast, thank you!:rolleyes1: ) but I am having a tough time picking a riding style. While chasing some of my riding buddies on sport bikes (what Ive ridden all my life) I noticed from a buddy's gopro footage that I am riding the Wee in this strange combination of every riding style I know.

my style sounds pretty much exactly like you described.... cool eh? :beatnik:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

I use to pride myself on perfect technique and smooth, precise inputs. On my sport bikes, my friends joke that I pull out my brake bulbs because they never see me braking... What is this thing doing to me? Could it be a result of trying anything I can to get this big old girl around corners on pace with sportbikes, or is this bike ruining me? lol

my .02 there's no reason to hang off on the street. You're going way too fast if you have to. Also attracts LEO attention.

The street is not the track. Ride "The Pace" it makes riding sane speeds fun. Read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling might keep you alive longer.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I ride one of two ways, Sitting on the seat going around corners at the exact lean angle of the bike so i cannot feel any force on either side. Just part of the bike.

The other way is to ride it like a Motocross bike, push the bike down on corners so you are standing on the outside peg, head level. It is really fun to go around corners like this.

I have never had any training on knee dragging, maybe if i did i would have a third way.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
V-Stroms don't have the extra cornering clearance to do the silly supermoto leg out thing on pavement.

Gotta get your arse off the seat and your (m)ass inside and low to create extra cornering clearance.

It does take a while to get the hang of moving around smoothly from one side to the other on a V-Strom, because your leverage points are so different than a sportybike. It's easy to start yanking yourself around with your hands and arms too much and upsetting the bike. Use your knees, legs, and feet more.

The biggest thing is to get your body position set BEFORE you swoop gracefully into the corner.

Lee Parks. Take the class.

Here's Lee hisself aboard a borrowed Wee. This right here is how it's done.

·
Registered
247 Posts
General riding I don't move around too much (maybe a knee out here and there) but on a great road and in the right frame of mind that photo sums it up pretty well, probably not dragging the knee because I don't have sliders on my Kevlar jeans......:hurray:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Shoulder drop

Dropping your shoulder on the cornering side ( turning left, left shoulder, etc ) shifts your weight in and slightly forward which reduces the knee out requirement a fair amount. What ever works for you. If you want to try the ultimate in body movement required to keep the rubber on the road try riding a sidecar outfit fast with no passenger in the sidecar:yikes: very scary the first time!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm getting too old and too lazy to move my ass around.

Kiss the mirror (body position) and look where you want to go (physically turn your head).

I haven't drug a peg on the 2014 but the chicken strips are gone.

·
Super Moderator
13,088 Posts
I think V-Tom has it. It was his turn to polish it...
NO, I don't do polish.

It's why I got the Strom in the first place.

So I'm sorry but I will not polish the Bong.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,088 Posts
I found a strange thing happen once I put Tourance Next's on my 2012 DL650.

I started feeling like a hooligan.

I don't know why but for some reason it just felt good and right to get right up almost on the tank, shoulder up towards the inside mirror and just go. to me it feels like something I'd do on a super-motard but that's probably my imagination.

Of course the above is for faster cornering on pavement, for any other street riding I just sit with the bike as it doesn't really matter unless I'm somewhere near scraping my pegs which makes me go into the above area. On gravel I wouldn't normally put my shoulder into my mirror but I'm the first to admit I'm not fast in corners on gravel.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
... but I'm the first to admit I'm not fast in corners on gravel.

..Tom
Now see? If you'd just man up and polish the damn bong you'd receive the intestinal fortitude to even scrape the pegs on sand.

Polish the damn thing. We're all waiting and need it back.

Optionally, we could all just show up at your house for it. That would mean you would have to fill it for us too.

Think about this long and deeply...

:beatnik:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
my .02 there's no reason to hang off on the street. You're going way too fast if you have to. Also attracts LEO attention.

The street is not the track. Ride "The Pace" it makes riding sane speeds fun. Read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling might keep you alive longer.
I appreciate the input, but most proficient spirited riders will tell you that you are wrong. I have read the books and taken several California Superbike schools and getting off the bike on the street is a smart, safe thing to do. Sure...if you are going fast enough to need it, you are already pissing off LEO. But getting off the bike allows you to keep the bike more upright, so should you encounter an obstacle, or slick stuff, less sideways force on the tire equals more grip available when you go through that sprinkler water on the road or need to take evasive action, there is still plenty of tire left to do it on. Riding on "Pace" is subjective. Everyone has a different pace. Not saying I'm super fast, but my pace is as fast as I feel comfortable. I rarely use brakes...just maintain my pace through the whole road. I dont think I'm pushing, but I've ridden with people who are all over the gas and brakes and still cant hang with me just transitioning from apex to apex using only engine braking and light throttle through the corner to drive out.
V-Stroms don't have the extra cornering clearance to do the silly supermoto leg out thing on pavement.

Gotta get your arse off the seat and your (m)ass inside and low to create extra cornering clearance.

It does take a while to get the hang of moving around smoothly from one side to the other on a V-Strom, because your leverage points are so different than a sportybike. It's easy to start yanking yourself around with your hands and arms too much and upsetting the bike. Use your knees, legs, and feet more.

The biggest thing is to get your body position set BEFORE you swoop gracefully into the corner.

Lee Parks. Take the class.

Here's Lee hisself aboard a borrowed Wee. This right here is how it's done.
This all feels right on fast corners. Again, it may be my sportbike and motard habits, but on tight corners, I have the habit of turning in very late and squaring off the corner. The first thing I noticed is that the Wee does not like to be thrown into a corner hard...the front end immediately ties itself into knots. Similarly, on tight transitioning switchbacks, the height of the bike makes going from one knee, up and over to the other, a dizzying and time consuming endeavor. Its a long way from peg to peg.lol

I think you hit it with with setting up BEFORE the corner. It seems this bike likes to be gently led into the corner, rather than just poked with a stick. My late entry habits force me to give up on how long it takes to get it in and the front settled and just grab it by the horns like a dirt bike and counter steer its nose into the ground whether it's ready or not. To the squishy girl's defense, it takes it. Its sloppy and ugly, but I continue to be amazed how hard you can flog this thing.

Thanks for the opinions everyone!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I appreciate the input, but most proficient spirited riders will tell you that you are wrong. I have read the books and taken several California Superbike schools and getting off the bike on the street is a smart, safe thing to do. Sure...if you are going fast enough to need it, you are already pissing off LEO. But getting off the bike allows you to keep the bike more upright, so should you encounter an obstacle, or slick stuff, less sideways force on the tire equals more grip available when you go through that sprinkler water on the road or need to take evasive action, there is still plenty of tire left to do it on. Riding on "Pace" is subjective. Everyone has a different pace. Not saying I'm super fast, but my pace is as fast as I feel comfortable. I rarely use brakes...just maintain my pace through the whole road. I dont think I'm pushing, but I've ridden with people who are all over the gas and brakes and still cant hang with me just transitioning from apex to apex using only engine braking and light throttle through the corner to drive out...

!

Different world views you and me. I don't consider public roads my race track.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts