StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, my bike feels like it is constantly leaning to the left. Can't really tell if it is the crown of the road making it "look" like I am leaning relative to the road, or I am just crooked. Only recent change noted was addition of Rox Risers. I have measured from grip to bike center to verify that the bars are centered. Also noted that I checked and the rear axle was 1/16" further forward on one side vs. the other.

Any ideas?

How can I tell if I am leaning? I was going to strap a bubble level on the crossbars but I think the vibes would be too much to see straight.:confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Let go of the handlebars for a bit when it is safe to do so and see if the bike dives to one side.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Do GW's test on flat pavement like an empty parking lot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let go of the handlebars for a bit when it is safe to do so and see if the bike dives to one side.
And if it does? Then what?

Also noted that I checked and the rear axle was 1/16" further forward on one side vs. the other.
I was thinking alignment and that is why I checked it. Not sure how to check the front though.

·
Registered
706 Posts
For some reason, my bike feels like it is constantly leaning to the left.
Consider also how you are sitting on the bike. I have followed other motorcycle riders that have a definite tendency to sit somewhat off-centre.

Then again, maybe they are sitting like that because the bike leans ...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have noticed this as well but it has been on every bike I have ever owned. I always check the sprockets, chain and axle alignment. I look at the wear pattern of the tires as well. They are always fine. It must be me. Maybe one leg is longer than the other or something.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
It may feel like the bike is leaning left because you are riding on the right side of a crowned road.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Mine has always pulled to the left a little if I let go of the bars regardless of the crown in the road. I've tried adjusting the rear wheel both directions and it didn't help so I just align it straight and have learned to live with it. I have a tendency to sit slightly to the left, not sure if that's needed to compensate or some other issue. I'm not centered exactly with the middle of the wind screen and when I center myself it's not a relaxed position.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Liberal.... my bike leans to the right.... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same

I'm having the same issue of leaning to the left... Started doing this when I got new tires (conti trail attacks) Not sure if that's what's causing it.... I will also check my rear wheel alignment :confused:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Here's what George's wallet looks like. Let this be a lesson to us all.
Yep. And not good for lower back curvature to sit on something like that all day.

Exactly why I haven't carried a traditional "men's" back pocket wallet for years now. I try to not carry a wallet of any type but if I do it's a combo checkbook-wallet. Holds my checkbook, credit / store / insurance cards and usually rather little cash ! :green_lol:

Just slip it into one of my front pockets when I must have it with me. Works fine.

·
Registered
22,255 Posts
Yep. And not good for lower back curvature to sit on something like that all day.

Exactly why I haven't carried a traditional "men's" back pocket wallet for years now. I try to not carry a wallet of any type but if I do it's a combo checkbook-wallet. Holds my checkbook, credit / store / insurance cards and usually rather little cash ! :green_lol:

Just slip it into one of my front pockets when I must have it with me. Works fine.
my doctor told me to stop using my back pockets, also to stop wearing a belt and use suspenders instead

my sciatica has gone away

only time I ever notice any lean while riding on a straight road is when there are prevailing winds

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
Mine has always pulled to the left a little if I let go of the bars regardless of the crown in the road. I've tried adjusting the rear wheel both directions and it didn't help so I just align it straight and have learned to live with it. I have a tendency to sit slightly to the left, not sure if that's needed to compensate or some other issue. I'm not centered exactly with the middle of the wind screen and when I center myself it's not a relaxed position.

Has your bike ever been down while riding?

If your rear wheel is in alignment, crowing isn't an issue and you are sitting straight you might want to make sure the front forks are straight. Basically you would need to loosen everything in the front forks, let it spring to it's natural position, and then tighten. It completely fixed a problem I had on my 2006 DL650 after a crash. I had tried a number of different things and after several months tried that and the issue completely went away.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I dropped it once pulling out of my driveway but I was barely moving and it was pulling to the left before that incident. I think it's always done it. Thanks for the tip on loosening the fork tubes and re tightening. I'll try that.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
You might (probably) have to loosen the steering stem nut as well. The chrome one has to come off but the one below it is the one that heeds to loosen. It has been so long since I did it but pretty sure that was done. It is tricky without the proper socket (I have one) but there have been some made by others here.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
my doctor told me to stop using my back pockets, also to stop wearing a belt and use suspenders instead...my sciatica has gone away...
Good news on the sciatica. I've been there big time. No fun at all.

Mine's gone too, but didn't begin to go away, after staying with me for a month or so, until I began to do the simple lower back "exercises" (about half of which are just stretching movements, really) outlined in Robin McKenzie's (sp?) book titled "Treat Your Own Back". (Mr. McKenzie is a physical therapist from New Zealand, I believe). Anyway, great, simple thin book with a number of illustrations. Book prescribed to me by my doctor.

Sounds like you're good now, thankfully, but I thought I'd mention this little book again in case it might help someone else. I try to do the simple exercises a couple times a week or so and, at age 54 and 260 pounds I have no back issues at all. :hurray:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts