StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2012 DL650 really dirty the other week and so I gave it a good wash. Everything was fine but the next morning the battery was dead.

By the time I got around to messing with it I discovered the left turn signal was stuck on. Not blinking. Just steady on along with the dash indicator. As soon as I put power the bike this happens. Yesterday I poked around trying to see if anything obvious was loose or would change the behavior but nothing I do short of pulling the main fuse makes any difference.

Now I am going to take out the battery box to get better access to the wiring and check that area for shorts as well as try to examine the wiring inside the cowling. I have a wire diagram which indicates there must be a short to a black wire somewhere but that could be anywhere on the bike from front to rear.

I just thought I'd post to this forum before I got started in case anyone has any tips or words of encouragement. Of course this has to happen as soon as the weather changed and I was ready for a whole weekend of fun.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I got my 2012 DL650 really dirty the other week and so I gave it a good wash. Everything was fine but the next morning the battery was dead.

By the time I got around to messing with it I discovered the left turn signal was stuck on. Not blinking. Just steady on along with the dash indicator. As soon as I put power the bike this happens. Yesterday I poked around trying to see if anything obvious was loose or would change the behavior but nothing I do short of pulling the main fuse makes any difference.

Now I am going to take out the battery box to get better access to the wiring and check that area for shorts as well as try to examine the wiring inside the cowling. I have a wire diagram which indicates there must be a short to a black wire somewhere but that could be anywhere on the bike from front to rear.

I just thought I'd post to this forum before I got started in case anyone has any tips or words of encouragement. Of course this has to happen as soon as the weather changed and I was ready for a whole weekend of fun.
I'm seeing, in your report, some seemingly contradictory (or at least puzzling) observations. You say the battery went dead overnight, but presumably the ignition was off. Per your "left signal was stuck on ... as soon as [you] power the bike", it would seem that the overnight power drain was not the turn signal. So, either the symptoms have been changing, your report is missing something important, or there is another faulty drain other than the errant turn signal. Can you clarify?

It would be a strange short that goes from the switched (by ignition key) DC bus to the post-switched turn signal. Given the current needed to illuminate the stock incandescent signal bulb, I do not see simple, water-borne contaminants as a likely cause. Could something metallic have been carried into the turn signal switch? (You did not pressure-wash the switches or parts of the wiring harness, surely!)

I would also point out that the wiring, between where wires are terminated, is quite waterproof. It has PCV insulation. So any short you are likely to find should be at the terminations. (There are edge cases, such as chafed-through insulation which your washing jiggled enough to produce a short which was incipient anyway, but having a couple wires do that with each other is a real stretch toward the improbable.)

You say "nothing I do short of pulling the main fuse [keeps the turn signal from misbehaving.]" Does that include pulling other fuses, individually?

As for encouragement, I can only say: Using a wiring diagram is an excellent step in your trouble-shooting process. This is probably going to be an unusual problem for which some more symptoms and experiments will be needed to sort out what has gone wrong. Do you have a DVM or continuity tester?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My theory is that something shorted out the battery after the washing. It's true that the illuminated turn signal only appeared after I changed the battery. It's tough to say what the actual cause of the battery drain was. The ignition was off and the key with me in the apartment. The garage is dark so I presume I'd see any lights that were stuck on when I put it away. After I replaced the battery everything seemed fine until I took it for a short ride. I discovered the illuminated turn signal when I returned after parking it for lunch.

I think you could be onto something with the turn signal switch. I did not power wash the switches or the handle bars but I did spray a lot under the front fender and on the radiator which could have splashed something up inside the switch. Wish I had checked that before I took the battery box out.

I pulled all the relays and fuses I could individually and nothing affected the stuck turn signal. I do have a multimeter but it's not much use so far as I cannot find any exposed wires to test. Just about everything is tucked away fairly well and it's obvious something is putting voltage to that black wire somewhere. I disconnected the front and rear turn signals from the wire harness to prevent them from burning up and I've been checking the turn signal indicator light on the dash to verify if anything affects the short. I've been at it for about two hours now and getting nowhere.

Thank you for the suggestion I'll take some canned air to the turn signal switch and see if anything comes out. Please let me know if anything I've explained is unclear I'd be more than happy to try again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One detail that I forgot to mention is the dead battery was a Ballistic solid state model and it was a very cold night. The battery was completely bricked when I found it and had to be replaced. This leaves open the possibility that the dead battery and the stuck signal are entirely unrelated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another update:

Definitely something odd about the turn signal switch. I examined it closer and there is a lot more play in the mechanism than normal. Also while the right signal behaves fine, when I toggle the left turn signal both of the small headlights come on until I cancel by pressing them. This can be observed with only the battery connected and the key out. I am going to put the battery back together and focus now on the turn signal switch.

Thank you for the suggestion I think I am making progress now!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
TA, Ive been through this whole DL650 wiring diagram just last week for another poster with a popping 30A main fuse.
Try THIS: Disconnect the left handlebar switch and see of the left turn signal and indicator lamps go out. The black wire in that gang connector also supplies ground to the indicator lamp, via a B;ack/White wire in that same gang connector.
Power is supplied by the #5 Signal fuse. But your issue is a partial ground. Disconnect the gang connector, let me know what happens. The diagram is right in front of me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I understand what you want but I can't seem to find out how to disconnect the turn signal switch. The wires are all directly soldered onto the board and the previous owner covered everything in cable wrap until it just disappears under the bike. I've got the switch mostly disassembled on the bike so I could test it with the multimeter but anything I disconnect would require a wirecutter and new soldering.

Are you suggesting I remove a fuse? I tried each one and nothing was able to turn off the turn signal.

·
Registered
669 Posts
What happens when you remove the turn signal relay?

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No change. The left turn signal stays on no matter what I do short of removing the main fuse or disconnecting the battery. If I activate the the left turn signal using the switch the tail light comes on as well as two 'running lights' in the front but not the main headlight. Canceling the signal by pressing it turns off the running lights but has no effect on the left turn signal that stays steady on no matter what.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was warned about washing but it was covered in road salt and slush from testing my abilities in the snow.

Anyway here is the latest. I got the turn signal switch disassembled and still no change in the symptoms. I took the ohm meter to it and two wires show no resistance to ground but the black wire read 1.7 K ohm. I guess that must be the resistance of the left turn indicator. Both the turn signals are disconnected from the harness.

All the contacts inside the turn signal switch seem fine so I think I can take that off the list of suspects. I removed the switch mechanism and still had the grounding issue.

Nothing I do ever seems to affect the condition of the turn signal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some pics of the odd condition that occurs when I toggle the left turn signal 'ON'. You can see the small headlamps and the tail light come on until I cancel the left turn

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,017 Posts
What you still have not done is to disconnect the LH switch block. The plug connecting the LH switch block is under the tank and requires removal of the airbox to find.

Canned air? I have had indicator issues several times after washing my DL650. I open up the LH switch block and liberally spray Electroclean in there while working the indicator switch. Problem solved.

If that does not work:-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I think I understand what you want but I can't seem to find out how to disconnect the turn signal switch. The wires are all directly soldered onto the board and the previous owner covered everything in cable wrap until it just disappears under the bike. I've got the switch mostly disassembled on the bike so I could test it with the multimeter but anything I disconnect would require a wirecutter and new soldering.

Are you suggesting I remove a fuse? I tried each one and nothing was able to turn off the turn signal.
No, I am telling you to disconnect the left handlebar switch harness from the main wiring loom. Not necessary to cut and solder anything. You can use the multimeter and wiring diagram to test for continuity to ground by backproboing the connector BEFORE you disconnect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright looks like to do that I'll have to take off the tank in order to reach that disconnect. I can see it but no way to reach it with the radiator in the way. I won't have time until next weekend so I'll post an update then.

Thank you all for the help and I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
TA, sometimes you can remove the radiator mounting bolts and drop it slightly to gain access to other components.

Something is grounded after the bulbs, otherwise it would be a short to ground and would pop a fuse. From the diagram the bulbs are powered through the Black wire from the #5 Signal fuse, and ground through a Black/White wire at the hazard switch(if so equipped--check your diagram), and the turn signal switch. My diagram is for an '09, '12 may be different. If you can, send me your diagram, I'll print it out, and we can both view this diagram together. I would much rather diagnose it and be sure than to throw a part on it in the hope of a 1st-time repair.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
OK TA, I have it printed out.
Do what you have to for access, but disconnect the left handlebar switch harness from the main wiring loom. Power runs from the #5 Signal fue to the left handlebar switch through a black wire feeding both the hazard and turn signal switches, both of which feed the directional lamps and instrument cluster indicators--the right side is a Light Grey wire, the left side LOOKS like a Black--very hard to read in either the screen shot or my printout--verify color codes on your end. From the bulbs ground is made through a Black/White wire in that same left handlebar gang connector, to the starter relay, then back to the battery negative cable.

Disconnecting the left handlebar switch is your 1st step. Through the switch-side connector, you can verify continuity or short to ground at that connector.

I'll be in and out today, but I'll check in periodically. If you need, message me on this site.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Forgot to mention...it is very helpful to have an inexpensive incandescent automotive testlamp, 2 alligator clamp-equipped mini jumper wires, and some paper clips on hand.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
another update:

Definitely something odd about the turn signal switch. I examined it closer and there is a lot more play in the mechanism than normal. Also while the right signal behaves fine, when I toggle the left turn signal both of the small headlights come on until I cancel by pressing them. This can be observed with only the battery connected and the key out. I am going to put the battery back together and focus now on the turn signal switch.

Thank you for the suggestion I think I am making progress now!
Possibly defective/broken turn signal switch/something loose floating in there?
Possible others have access to parked bike as you live in apartment? kids might be attracted to parked bike and poke stuff?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts