StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is an easy one...I checked the bulbs first and they looked good. I did not check the fuses because only the left side is out (right side is good). Is there something else I'm not considering here? :confused:

Blinker for the left side is blinking twice as fast as the right side...I have always thought that meant bad bulb.

I thought I might change both left side bulbs just for the hell of it. If that's not it, I just have 2 spare bulbs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
A fast flash means high resistance, like a burned out bulb or open circuit. You could swap left and right bulbs to see if anything changes before buying new bulbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice call - good idea

OK - swapped out the bulbs and still the right side is good and left side still nothing...blinker still blinking fast.
What's next now??:confused:

·
38,104 Posts
So you know it isn't the bulbs. You have a poor connection somewhere. The left side signals work off wires that are black with a white stripe for ground and solid black for hot. If both left side bulbs are out, the first place I'd look for a marginal connection is the connector behind the radiator that is on the end of the wire bundle coming from the left handlebar switch. A marginal connection usually runs hot and discolors the plastic around the hot connector. The turn signal switch itself may also have a marginal contact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew this couldn't be as easy as a blown bulb

Thanks Greywolf, I had to Google "marginal connection" :)

I did check the connector you spoke and it is tight and not discolored. I think this issue is over my head. I may have to take it to the dealer and hope for one they know what they are doing and two they don't rape me over the coals for this.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks Greywolf, I had to Google "marginal connection" :)

I did check the connector you spoke and it is tight and not discolored. I think this issue is over my head. I may have to take it to the dealer and hope for one they know what they are doing and two they don't rape me over the coals for this.

Thanks for your help.
Before you take it in... try disconnecting the connector and then plugging it back in again... Could be just a little corrosion in the connector socket...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried.

I tried to pull the connector apart...but could not do it. The thing is super tight and I was afraid to do more harm to it pulling it too hard loosening more wires. The area is very tight quarters and then those darn "ears" on the connector that lock it together !!! I need another pair of hands and more room to work...can you tell I'm not a cycle mechanic?

·
38,104 Posts
The connector has a clip that needs to be depressed to release the parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, The "ears"

Yes, that clip you are referring to are the "ears" I was referring to. I would think the shop has a special tool that depressing those "ears" or clip and pulls the connector apart in the same instance.

·
38,104 Posts
There is one clip on the connector from the left handlebar switch. You can see it in the center of the right connector on the left side extension pictured.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I'm sure you've thought of this by now, but each signal unit has a connector behind it as well, inside the fairing. Check those too. They're easy to get to.

·
38,104 Posts
I was under the impression both lights were out on one side. If that is the case, both would have to be disconnected.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both lights are out on the left side

Greywolf:

The connection you mention coming out of the left side handle bar switch, are you saying to take the switch apart to check the connection (inside the switch) or to follow that wire harness leaving the left side switch to where it connects to the main harness?

·
38,104 Posts
You need to find a problem likely to exist in either the switch or in the connector at the end of the switch's harness. If one checks out, try the other. A voltmeter is a good tool to check whether electricity is present in the all black wire at different points in the system when the switch is set to signal a turn.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I was under the impression both lights were out on one side. If that is the case, both would have to be disconnected.
I was thinking that a high-resistance connection at either of them might cause the effect he's seeing (much as one bad bulb might).

·
38,104 Posts
The other one would still light though.

·
38,104 Posts
I thought they were both still lit; just flashing rapidly. I think a bad connection anywhere in the left-side circuit could cause that behavior, but maybe I misunderstood something.
Or maybe I did, so I'll ask. Is the left side totally dark, flashing one bulb or flashing both at an odd rate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update - this is the latest

All the posts had me thinking to look at this more closely and try different things. The LEFT FRONT IS TOTALLY OUT (DARK). The left rear blinks quickly. I switched the bulbs (front to rear - left side only), the same thing happens so I can take that as the both bulbs are good.
I tried something else. I put on the emergency flasher and all the bulbs except the FRONT LEFT blink normal and also the indicator on the console. The LEFT FRONT is totally dark no matter what I try.
The problem is now isolated to the LEFT FRONT so tomorrow I will check the connection under the fairing behind the left front as suggested.
I HOPE that is the problem :bom_thinking:

·
Registered
38 Posts
i had the same problem. the problem ended up being the socket for the bulb had become loose. so the bulb would be held in there, but wasnt always making a connection. I just clamped it with pliers and then the bulb was held more firmly. this could be something you could check in 30 seconds....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts