StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left the key in the on position this morning and killed my battery (I'm assuming). Had to leave it at work because a jump from my buddy didn't work. No dash lights when hooked up to the cables.

I'm going back to pick it up after I hook up the trailer, but was hoping someone could give me a clue what gives here before I left to go get it. Or, just give me a clue because I gotta fix it when I get it back home.

Thanks for any help. Probably wrong place to post, but best chance of being seen.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A jump should work if it's just a dead battery. It could be something else and you assumed wrongly. Check the fuses, especially the main fuse as well as the battery cable connections.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A jump should work if it's just a dead battery. It could be something else and you assumed wrongly. Check the fuses, especially the main fuse as well as the battery cable connections.
Yup, checked them all plus the main. Disconnected the ground to get the battery out of the loop, and had it connected directly to the jumper cables. Dead.

Thanks, greywolf. I just wanted to see if there was some special (easy) low-battery kill circuit that had to be reset. If not, I'm into some troubleshooting. It's home now, so I can put some thought and some probes to it.

On second thought, I'd better go see if I actually caught ALL the fuses. Where's the main?

·
38,048 Posts
What is the year and model? The main fuse is by itself under a clear plastic cover by the starter relay near the battery on my '07 650. You may just be able to see the green main fuse and spare in the extreme lower left corner of this pic on each side of the colored wire set. The connector for those wires needs to be unplugged and the cover lifted.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2008 DL650 non-ABS.

The main was good per continuity check. Battery was sitting at 3.4 volts. Battery is probably toast, but I put it on a charger anyway. I don't work on Fridays and was planning on riding, so I guess I have time to look tomorrow.

If you think of anything else to check, let me know. The only thing I can think of is key switch. I am going to try the park position tomorrow and see if I get the tail light. If so, the key switch is probably it.

·
38,048 Posts
The battery may have a shorted cell. That's a terrible number and a possibility that would cause a jump not to work,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery may have a shorted cell. That's a terrible number and a possibility that would cause a jump not to work,
That crossed my mind. I'd say most likely. I set the charger to the 2 amp charge, and it was pulling about 7 amps. I could feel warmth on the side of the battery after about 15 minutes on the charger and it was still pulling 7 amps, which is also not good. I disconnected it.

I must've edited it out of my first post on accident, but one thing I tried during the jump was disconnecting one terminal so only the jump vehicle was connected. Still no lights.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery was sitting at 10.5 volts this morning. A little while longer on the charger brought it to 11.5 volts. I put it back in the bike and the bike came back to life. It even started.

No lessons to be learned here. Yesterday wasn't my day. The stuff I observed must've been some screw-up on my part rather than an anomaly in the systems. My bike came back to life, so today is already shaping up to be a better day.

·
38,048 Posts
Glad to hear the battery seems to be the only problem. Those readings are still low though. Keep an eye on it. A discharge that deep can do permanent damage.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Dear me

I'd have to think your key switch is going bad, since that is the common point. Good that it is working, bad in that it could fail unpredictably. I'd leave the battery on the charger until it gets to a full 13.5 or so. Often bike charging systems will have a hard time pulling it up there from a deficient charge state, and may overstress your charging system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts