StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure what the part is called but when I went outside to get my bike ready for my commute my left handle bar end had slipped out and I have never dropped my bike or hit it at all. I also had the hit I back in mid way through my commute.
So I am guessing the part is slipping out because of the temperature change and metal contraction.
I am still trying to upload the image.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Push it back in and tighten the bolt. DO NOT unscrew the bolt all the way. You will lose the nut inside the handlebar. Probably was not tightened properly from the factory or dealer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It is called a handlebar weight. It is supposedly 'tuned' to be just the right weight to cancel out handlebar vibrations.

I simply tighten mine by hand by twisting the weight. (push it all the way in 1st)

As you "tighten" it, a hunk of rubber gets pinched and swells up hence gripping the inside of the handlebar diameter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just noticed the same problem on my right (throttle) grip. It's only slid out maybe 1/4", but it's a noticeable gap. I loosened the screw a bit and can't seem to get the weight to slide in at all. I've tightened everything back up, but the gap is still there. Any thoughts????? I'm a little leery of loosening the screw too much.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The inner-rubber is sticking inside the handlebar diameter.

1)loosen the screw a bit until the weight seems to 'jiggle' freely
2) With screwdriver IN THE SCREW tap the handle with hammer to slide the entire assembly into the handlebar end

You will be essentially tapping the SCREW itself into the handlebar-end.

If the above does not work. Loosen the screw and PULL the entire assembly out of the handlebar-end. It should slide right out. With it removed, you can tighten the screw and observe how the rubber swells up to make sure the mechanism is operating.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LOOSEN THE SCREW TOO MUCH. If the threads come clear off the innter-nut, it may cause the inner nut to get pushed farther into the handlebar hence becoming un-retreivable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
BruceP. Thanks. I tried the screwdriver and hammer tapping technique you described and it worked. Took a minute of tapping, but it seemed to slide in to where the end is once again flush with the grip. I appreciate the advice. Thanks again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You are very welcome.

BTW: I did not mention it in my post but I assume you TIGHTENED the screw after tapping the assembly into the handlebar-end.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You bet. I tightened both of them up real snug. Do you know, is this a fairly common occurrence and something that I should be keeping an eye on?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts