StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions, feedback, and reviews on either Lee Parks or Aerostich gloves. And generally, what's your opinion of using an elkskin glove for touring and occasional dirt/gravel?

Specific models would be helpful, along with temperature ranges that you're comfortable using that particular model.

I own a pair of WarmAndSafe heated gloves for the very cold days. I'm looking for gloves for the 50-75 degree range, and I'm not concerned with waterproofness.

Gauntlet vs. short cuff?

Thanks in advance!
-Joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have two pair of the Lee Park gloves, one pair the short Deer Sports glove, and
one pair of the gauntlet. I also have a pair of the elk skin Aerostich ropers.

The Lee Park gloves look and feel awesome. But for the money they wear out too quickly for me. After about 15,000 miles the short gloves are paper thin at the finger tips, and show appreciable wear over the whole glove. The gauntlet gloves after 1,000 miles are trending the same wear.

My Aerostich ropers after 12,000 miles are visibly weathered but have worn very little. They are going to last a while. They're thick and do not have the touch/feel the Lee Park gloves have, but they are far more durable.

Gauntlet glove for cooler weather all the way. Short glove for everything else.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
I've got a pair of the Aerostich elkskin ropers. After over 10K miles they are just fine albeit sweat stained and, for some reason, the clutch side fingers are black (gotta polish that clutch lever).

For really hot weather I have a pair of short kangaroo gloves. They hold up very well.

For weather down to perhaps 40F I have a pair of buffalo gauntlets that are simply great. Heavy but flexible enough for riding.

Both the kangaroo and buffalo gloves are American made by Geier Glove. I bought them from davidmorgan.com.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I have a pair of the Elkskin ropers, with the conductive thread sewn into the index finger/thumb -tips so you can use your smartphone without taking off the glove. I thought this would be a minor convenience, but came to realize that it's an incredible convenience not to have to take off your glove just to quickly check something on the phone, or change a song, or whatnot. I thought about getting the black ones, since the natural leather color of the originals will look out of place with any piece of riding gear you have. I ultimately decided I didn't care, realizing that there'd be no black dye staining my hands, and the lighter color doesn't absorb sunlight/heat when it's summertime like a black glove will.

They do wear like iron, but are so buttery soft. Not much protection other than what leather will provide in a skid. My silver levers did make the glove a grey-ish color where the fingers contact the clutch/brake levers. A real riding glove shouldn't look pampered and perfect anyway - bring on the lever stains, grease spots and sweat marks!

I've used em in hot weather and they do breathe well, and in the cold, my hands can get chilly when it's in the 50-60's - uninsulated leather does not really have any thermal properties, but they do keep the wind blast at bay. However, they do play well with heated grips, and with my Vstrom's hand guard/shields in place, only the tops of my hands get chilly on cold mornings/night commutes (w/ the heated grips on).

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I like BMW gloves best, but also wear Lee Parks, Aerostich, Tourmaster, and Held. On a trip, there are at least two extra pairs of gloves in the luggage.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Make sure you try 'em on, too -- I had money in hand ready to buy a pair, but for some reason, the Lee Parks just didn't fit my meathooks.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Make sure you try 'em on, too -- I had money in hand ready to buy a pair, but for some reason, the Lee Parks just didn't fit my meathooks.
They make a 3XL, unusual to find in a motorcycle glove.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
And, my Lee Parks gloves fit my medium width/long fingered hands.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
You might want to consider Helimot over in Fremont, Ca. I have their Buffalo Pro and Cowabunga (summer) gloves. Expensive but extremely comfortable and protective.
They'll outlast Lee Parks and won't fall apart (stitching, cheap leather, etc) like other brands.
http://helimot.com
I got my Daytona's at Helimot too. Best boots I've ever owned.
___ :mod2_scooter: ___
Nice gloves but ouch, makes my cowhide wallet hurt.
Melanie got a pair of Datonas there also. Great boots

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nice gloves but ouch, makes my cowhide wallet hurt.
Melanie got a pair of Datonas there also. Great boots

You get what you pay for, right?

I've spent hundreds and hundreds of $$'s on what I thought was good quality gloves, only to find out the stitching falls apart, they stretch too much (unfixable), or the hard armour becomes unreasonably uncomfortable.

I figure if road racers (that fly down the track at super high speed) trust Helimot gloves, there's no reason to not trust them for the street.

I paid for the highest quality gloves. I believe they are well worth the cost.

Same with Melanie's boots. The cost is on the "ouch" side. She'll probably never need another pair.

:thumbup:

·
Administrator
16,787 Posts
Love my Lee Parks and they are wearing well "about 10k on them", and they have been soaked on more than one occasion. Still soft as butter, no irregular wearing at all, and Lee stands by his products so don't hesitate to let him know if you are not satisfied. Doubt I will ever buy another glove again, well worth the price in my eyes.....and I am not alone in my experience. They fit awesome, like a second pair of skin and deerskin is tougher than leather.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the Aerostitch elkskin ropers, and I love 'em. They are getting kind of funky looking, but they are like butter on. They wear like iron, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts