StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I need to consult the members for I have a question.

I was planning to replace the turn signal lamps with LED's to save some watts and I know what I need to do it, but..... The emergency flashers????

I plan to use a electronic flasher module to manage the LEDS, no problem. The question, does the Emerg. Flash sw just route thru the stock mechanical flasher or is there another mechanical flasher used for the emerg flash function?

I don't want to sacrifice the emerg, Flash function for the LEDS. I want both.

Has anyone dealt with this yet?

thx to all for their time,

Seaflea

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I've converted to LED signals. Replace the flasher with an LED friendly unit and the hazard flashers work fine with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Greywolf!

Thank you.

You've helped me before on some other things.

Don't change!

Good rides, Seaflea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Watsen MicroAlloy LED signals

After much looking, I picked up a pair of Watsen MicroAlloy LED signals and am really impressed. These are near-flush-mount and change the entire look of the bike. I love the clean lines. And man, are they bright!
These are for the front only but I understand Watsen is working on a new design for the rear signals. Here is the URL:

http://www.watsendesign.com/Suzuki_Products/V-Strom/V_Strom_Products.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
After much looking, I picked up a pair of Watsen MicroAlloy LED signals and am really impressed. These are near-flush-mount and change the entire look of the bike. I love the clean lines. And man, are they bright!
These are for the front only but I understand Watsen is working on a new design for the rear signals. Here is the URL:

thats very cool but damned expensive, almost 90bucks us

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Those LEDs do indeed rock!

What is out there that's less eye-bleedingly expensive and available without the two month wait?

·
Registered
166 Posts
For that much money, do you really save that much wattage from turn signals that you don't use often? I would invest in HID headlights before the turn signals since those are always on.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
+2 on the WatsenDesign. Just installed them on my Wee, only took 5 minutes for the right side and 10 minutes on the left. They plug right in and are very bright . . . warning, do NOT stare into the light or you will see spots for a long time. They are worth the money! Plan ahead, it took two full months to receive them.

My primary reason for installing WatsenDesign . . . spend money once and never have a broken front turn signal again. Most of my riding with the Wee is dirt . . . I will drop it again and there is not need to break a turn signal more than once.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Watsen LED's

My primary reason for installing WatsenDesign . . . spend money once and never have a broken front turn signal again. Most of my riding with the Wee is dirt . . . I will drop it again and there is not need to break a turn signal more than once.
I just put the same turn signals on last week. They are slick looking and of course functional, but I installed them ultimately for the same reason you did. If...or I should say when I go down again, I won't have to worry about turn signals shattering.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I too have LED bulbs for my signals. They work fine, emergency blinkers no problem. My wife says they are much brighter than the OEM bulbs.
Here are two links to how it was done by others, I pretty much did the exact same except I was able to remove the two wires from my relay perch with out splicing !! This can be done with an extra fine jewler screw driver.
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,10920.0.html
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,4873.msg59099.html#msg59099

now question is how important is it to replace the relay with led bulbs. I got 4 led bulbs and stock relay and its defentlay easily seen as blinking, just fast and in my eyes grabs more attention. Will the stock relay just die one day from this or is it a non issue as long as its easy to see its actuality blinking unlike some cars I have seen that look almost liek a solid light lol.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
now question is how important is it to replace the relay with led bulbs. I got 4 led bulbs and stock relay and its defentlay easily seen as blinking, just fast and in my eyes grabs more attention. Will the stock relay just die one day from this or is it a non issue as long as its easy to see its actuality blinking unlike some cars I have seen that look almost liek a solid light lol.
Your relay is working faster due to the low draw of electricity when you use the siganls. I'm not sure what it will do in the long run for you relay. It may not be the best for the LED's since they don't need that much power delivered. Could be that they only last 1/2 as long. A real electrician would be needed here.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
seems like if there was a way to fill the gaps where the current signals are these might make good replacements to mount on said plugs or elsewhere on bike like bottom of handguards
I just ordered the 6 led's http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/alm.htm .
These or another brand I ordered are going to replace my existing 2 X 55 watt auxiliary lights I have mounted on the PWD lightbar. If they are bright enough for me and the wife like them, we'll put some on her Versys.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Your relay is working faster due to the low draw of electricity when you use the siganls. I'm not sure what it will do in the long run for you relay. It may not be the best for the LED's since they don't need that much power delivered. Could be that they only last 1/2 as long. A real electrician would be needed here.

Ok if they are 2 watt 12volt leds they will draw 2 watts not 55 the origionals used. The relay itsefl I am ettign will ware out faster but lets be hoenst these thigns last a rather long time. Only ever replaced one in a car. Now in the end I don't think you are drawing nay more power on these things and the relay should not be power limiting, it should just let power flow through and cut it off to blink the lights. If it restricts power then its not just a standard relay. Now dam if I know if our stock one is a standard relay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The WatsenDesign flush mount blinkers mentioned in the initial post no longer seems to be available for Suzuki on their site. Anyone know of an alternative comany who also has these for sale? My search didn't come up with anything as slick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts