StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have the Buell turn signals on my 650 and I ordered some LED bulbs for them from superbrightleds.com. Specifically, I bought the 67x15 LED bulbs:

I got them today and... they don't seem to work right. If I put all 4 in, only 1 blinks, the rest don't light up. They're not bad, as I can switch them around and always only the one rear one blinks. The regular bulbs blink fine, albeit fast.

So, question is, why are 3 of the 4 LEDs not working? Do I need a load balancer because of the much smaller current draw? Why is that? Also, where exactly would I install that?

Feeling a little dumb...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
LEDs are polarity sensitive. Sounds to me like you have the + and - reversed on a few of those Buell signals.

Standard bulbs don't care.

"Unlike incandescent light bulbs, which illuminate regardless of the electrical polarity, LEDs will only light with correct electrical polarity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_polarity_of_LEDs

...If I put all 4 in, only 1 blinks, the rest don't light up. They're not bad, as I can switch them around and always only the one rear one blinks...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
True. The flasher problem alone would not cause those symptoms. Good catch. The LED flasher is also polarity sensitive, unlike a thermal flasher would be.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are geniuses! :D I totally didn't think about the fact that LEDs were polarity sensitive, so much for my EE class from back in college ;)

I will play with the wiring tonight and let you know how it goes. Luckily it's all posi-locks so it'll be super quick. I don't mind the faster blink rate, in fact I prefer it. With the LEDs, even the fast flashing will ensure 100% illumination with each flash. Way more noticeable in traffic than the "normal" slow flashing, in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips! :cool:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, here is my followup. Sure enough, 3 of the 4 turn signals were wired with the polarities reversed. It didn't matter for the regular bulbs, but the LEDs definitely cared. I spent about an hour fixing the problem and now all of the LEDs are installed and working.

In addition, I also installed the "extra bright" brake LEDs from the above-mentioned site (I think the same ones Greywolf mentioned in another thread). Boy, what a difference! I'm very happy with the results, so thank you for the tip to the quick fix.

I will be installing the new Admorelighting lite bar next weekend, so look for a post from me in the related thread once that's done.

I tell you guys, between the wired Givi trunk, the LED bulbs and soon the LED lite bar, the back of my Wee looks like a Christmas tree... a very fast Christmas tree :cool:

And for the record, Heavy is NOT a prick. You can quote me on that ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts