StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, fellow Strommers...

In an attempt to "downsize" a bit on load (even with the stator recall done and having installed a Roadstercycle R/R), so I can have some additional piece of mind running some heated gear and aux lights, I switched all my lights (including headlights) to LED. For the turn signals, I initially used the round barrel-type bulbs. (I should mention that I have a Kisan signalMinder installed, which runs the turns signals as running lights, and has a timer to shut of the blinkers lest I forget to do so).

After a ride one day, my riding buddy mentioned that my turn signals weren't very bright, and that he felt others might have a hard time noticing them, both as running lights AND flashing as signals.

I looked all over (including search here) for a solution, trying to find something that has a more forward-facing lamp to brighten things up. I stumbled across the Sylvania Zevo Super Bright LEDS, and WOW! WHAT a difference. The standard bulb is 21 watts...the Zeno is 1.7 watts.

So if my figuring is correct, I went from 84 watts to 6.8 watts, a savings of 77.2 watts, which should be MORE than enough to run a heated liner close to high, if needed.

There's actually a less bright Nevo model bulb, but interestingly enough, it pulls more wattage...not much but a bit more. It should be noted that the packaging says, "For Off Road Use Only" but I really doubt I'm gonna get tagged by an LEO with shielded lights. The attached photo has the signal on the left blinking...bright at night, so more than adequate during the daytime.

Just food for thought in case others are looking to do a similar upgrade...I found them at local O'Reilly's and while not cheap ($24.99/pair), they have a 'lifetime guarantee' and are supposed to be rated at 40,000 hours. I haven't been out on the bike (2013 Wee in my case) since doing the upgrade but I think the results will be more than satisfactory...:laugh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for the info. When installed in the indicator housing, which direction do the LED's face? Directly out of the housing or what direction?
I had a similar looking set from https://www.superbrightleds.com installed in my ZX11. The light come from the individual led's arrayed around the housing, as well as on the top. mounted horizontally as they are in a turn signal housing the light shines directly out the front, reflected off the back of the housing and out the side from the top led's I can't speak to th O'Rilie's, but the Superbrights were very bright and visible for 180º.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Neato, thanks for posting. I've contemplated replacing all the turn signal bulbs on my 2007 Vee with LED retrofits.

Already went to LED headlamps, last winter. Massive power savings right off, needed because I had added a heated jacket liner to my cold-weather setup. Alongside heated gloves and grips, it was all just drawing too much power.

With turn signals, my nagging concern is the directionality of the light from LED retrofit bulbs. Or rather, the possible lack thereof.

The stock 2007 Vee turn signal housings have no reflectors, but the lenses are designed with the non-directional brightness of incandescent bulbs in mind. I'm not sure whether the LED retrofit bulbs would work right in those housings. If they're too directional, which LEDs tend to be by nature, the off-axis brightness could be poorer than with the original bulbs.

Do the Zevo bulbs address that issue adequately, in your opinion?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Adding reflectors to the turn signal housings sounds good. Some have used pieces of roof flashing, appropriately bent. If I can locate pieces of suitable sheet metal, I may go that route.

After bulbs, the other part of the LED retrofit equation is preventing/eliminating fast-flash. OP, did you pop in an LED-compatible turn signal flasher, use inline load resistors, or does your SignalMinder handle that somehow?

I would probably get the LED-compatible flasher. I feel like the load resistors would largely defeat the purpose of switching to LEDs.

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Adding reflectors to the turn signal housings sounds good. Some have used pieces of roof flashing, appropriately bent. If I can locate pieces of suitable sheet metal, I may go that route.

Traditionally people have used aluminized tape and stuck it inside the Turn Signal Housing. No worries about it getting loose and wrecking things and simple and easy to do. I'm sure reflective tape would also work well.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I have a number of times used alfoil BBQ trays as reflectors,

They are tough enough that when formed into a shape they stay in shape so they don't move around, "it is never be possible for it to come in contact with positive side of the system"

When I fitted a LED headlight globe to my V2 I thought it made my front indicators hard to see so I fitted a pair of Barkbusters LED indicator lights.

They gave me the extra width I was looking for.

·
Registered
472 Posts

After bulbs, the other part of the LED retrofit equation is preventing/eliminating fast-flash. OP, did you pop in an LED-compatible turn signal flasher, use inline load resistors, or does your SignalMinder handle that somehow?

I would probably get the LED-compatible flasher. I feel like the load resistors would largely defeat the purpose of switching to LEDs.
The 6 ohm resistors are necessary to reduce the current, not voltage. The flasher is designed to operate with a certain load. That is why a a burned out incandescent lamp will make the rest blink faster or not at all. LEDs operate at lower current, so the resistors or load compensator "fools" the flasher into thinking there is a higher load present.
I used a plug 'n' play Kuryakyn compensator on my ZX11. Splices right into the flasher circuit easy-peasy. compared to adding resistors at each lamp.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Changing out your stock turn signal and brake lamps won't save you all that much power. These items are used for only relatively short periods of time which will not impact your electrical system significantly. Changing to LED's will, however, give you more, brighter light of a color temp that is more readily seen by other motorists, and they will probably never burn out for as long as you own the bike. Manufacturers generally get the current draw (watts) right - if they are significantly off fuses might blow, etc., but lumens, (like watts of music power in days of yore for amps) are another fish. Current technology will get you 90 to 100 lumens per watt, and since very few of us can measure lumen output this is often exaggerated. Multiply watts times 100 to get the approx. lumen output and ignore advertised numbers.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Reflectors: Aluminum single use pie dishes are perfect. Similar to single use other aluminum dishes. They are durably coated so they stay shiny for years, are sturdy to stay in place once you figured out the cutting pattern to make them fit.

The picture shows the setup of my WEE with a higher power halogen bulb. I replaced it with a front shining LED and it was a huge improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Great questions!

Great questions from the masses...

1. The LED chips face directly forward and backward when installed in the holes with the base pins. Although there are only two LED chips, those suckers are BRIGHT!

2. I did use some HVAC tape (the silvery stuff used for taping together vents and such) and made a cup for the back of the plastic signal cup. That way, it reflects the rear facing chip's light back out towards the front. Coupled with the front-facing chip, MORE than visible in bright sunlight.

3. With 4 of those bulbs installed, things work as normal...no rapid blinking or stutters. No changes in the stock blinker relay.

4. Ratchet...I get what you're saying and normally I would agree. However, since the signalMinder I installed turns those lamps on ALL the time, like marker lights, I'm saving some wattage and using very little to run the lights as marker lights AND turn signals.

5. Desertbike...hopefully, the bigger picture I attached provides an adequate answer as to visibility and light defraction/refraction/whatever fraction. Installed, the chips are right in the middle of the lens and the overall light being emitted seems to be all through the lens, not centralized in just one area. I can't speak to anything other than the newer-model (2012+ models), but I think with some tape inside the cup, you'd be well pleased.

If I remember correctly, those Zevos are something like 470 lumens each, a BIG improvement from the the stock bulbs' 160-ish.

Cheers...I'm officially retired as of today and nowwwwww it's time to play! :laugh2:

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Is no one going to ask what in the world is a 2013 Wee?

I could be missing something, but AFAIK Suzi skipped 2013 entirely with both flavors of Vstrom.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Reflectors: Aluminum single use pie dishes are perfect. Similar to single use other aluminum dishes. They are durably coated so they stay shiny for years, are sturdy to stay in place once you figured out the cutting pattern to make them fit.

The picture shows the setup of my WEE with a higher power halogen bulb. I replaced it with a front shining LED and it was a huge improvement.
Halogen turn signal bulbs? You madman! I love it!

Thanks for the pic - perfectly illustrates a big difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 Vees/Wees. Ours have the base of the bulb forward. Later ones, the bulb is oriented sideways.

Given that I don't plan to install the necessary mods to make the turn signals into running lights (at least not now), there is no power-saving argument to be made & no big incentive to go around and swap all my 1156 and 1157 bulbs with LED equivalents. I'll probably just put in some pie-plate reflectors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts