1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
76 Posts
Haven't got one for the V yet, but put one on my BMW Dakar last year, it works very good, very bright and set to strobe for 3 seconds then go solid it gets seen. bete..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyone order this yet?????
Put one on my Wee last week. Seems like good quality construction and brighter than stock. it also fills out the taillight better than the 2 5W LED 1157 replacements that I had in before.

The description is wrong on the touratach site. It actually has 7 different flash modes + steady.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As easy to install as they state???
Mike

Put one on my Wee last week. Seems like good quality construction and brighter than stock. it also fills out the taillight better than the 2 5W LED 1157 replacements that I had in before.

The description is wrong on the touratach site. It actually has 7 different flash modes + steady.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As easy to install as they state???
It's fairly easy to remove the existing taillight assembly from the bike. The only thing that i was concerned about was getting the sealed assembly separated. Heating it in an oven for about 5 mins like they recommend worked fine and it pulled right apart. Heated it up again and it snapped right back together. Total time for me was about an hour and I've got minimal bike mechanical skills.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i'm not sure i would consider

rhythmscout said:
Heating it in an oven for about 5 mins like they recommend worked fine and it pulled right apart. Heated it up again and it snapped right back together.
to be

touratech said:
Installation is easy! Brake! LED conversion kits fit your existing taillight housing without any cutting or permanent modifications to your bike.
maybe i'm just wary of having to cook my parts, especially for 135 dollar leds

·
Registered
118 Posts
maybe i'm just wary of having to cook my parts, especially for 135 dollar leds
yes, i was a little concerned about putting my $135 LED board in an oven too (after it's attached to the taillight, the entire thing goes back in the oven). It's only @ 200 degrees for about 5 minutes and there was no damage as it's been working fine. Without this method of taking the assembly apart, I see no other way to get a nice bed of LEDs into that factory sealed unit though. The only other option would be one of those spring loaded-type LEDs that expand once they are through the holes in the back. Sure, $135 is a LOT of $$ for a tail light, I'm obsessed with LEDs though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
yes, i was a little concerned about putting my $135 LED board in an oven too (after it's attached to the taillight, the entire thing goes back in the oven). It's only @ 200 degrees for about 5 minutes and there was no damage as it's been working fine. Without this method of taking the assembly apart, I see no other way to get a nice bed of LEDs into that factory sealed unit though. The only other option would be one of those spring loaded-type LEDs that expand once they are through the holes in the back. Sure, $135 is a LOT of $$ for a tail light, I'm obsessed with LEDs though.
i agree thats a badass array but i guess i'm just a bit of a wuss still about doin something like that lol so i'm prolly gonna go with those pop out spider types for now

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ordered mine this week, and should be getting it this weekend. I will take pics and let you guys know whats up. You cant put a price on safety and not getting rear ended by a car!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here ya go for pics:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, those look like excellent rear LED's.

But they come with a drawback. Apparently, they make dogs disappear when they light up. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
OK how is the taillight assembly removed? I need to do this for two reasons.
1. install the LED light assembly.
2. find out why the taillight moves up and down while fitted on the V-Strom. I am guessing the lower pad/block is missing or disconnected.

Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK how is the taillight assembly removed? I need to do this for two reasons.
1. install the LED light assembly.
2. find out why the taillight moves up and down while fitted on the V-Strom. I am guessing the lower pad/block is missing or disconnected.
From memory...fairly easy though:
Remove the top luggage rack. All bolts on top of it.
There are 2 allen bolts (1 each side) on the tail assembly. One is tricky to reach as it's between the exhaust and tail-assembly. Remove those and kinda tilt the tail up from the bottom. It should disengage fairly easily. You now have access to the taillight assembly. Don't recall exactly how to get that off...I think just 2 screws.

All the taillights on Stroms move up and down in their mount. I don't think it's actually something wrong with yours.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
While I haven't done it myself, I've read the light housing is hot glued to the fender on rubber mounts. The methods used to get it out are hot water, a warm oven for a few minutes, or a very carefully used heat gun. The rubber mounting allows it to move a bit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looks good....

How are the different modes selected? Is there a small selectable pot on the other side?

BTW, CLEAN YOUR GARAGE! :var_30:

·
Registered
118 Posts
How are the different modes selected?
The switch to select modes is in the middle of the board on the LED side so there is no easy switching once it is installed. Pick a pattern and that's what you're stuck with unless you want to disassemble.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts