StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got those 1 watt led lights, so far just hooking them to battery and pointing across road. They light up fence a bit with lots of streat lights so rather impressed impressed. But lets face it these thigns (http://www.plasmaled.com/high_power_module.htm h) arn't black and don't have mounting brackets. Also my bike is on a all black diet, even the reflective tape is black :thumbup: . So off to princess auto I go, and found these driving lights (http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/electrical/8283301-driving-lights?keyword=driving+lights) which also have a neon green ring that lights up around the light COOOL, useless but cool bling bling. But more importantley they are big enough for the led lights to fit in, are all metal and all black. So back home and its time to break out the mill, make a hole for the led lights and then mod the ligths to fit so the screw holes for the light casings can remain. So far I think they are looking good. Its not finished yet but here is some teaser shots I took. I will update later. O and since the caseing is still waterproof and the led lights are watterproof in there own right I think I am covered :hurray:

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
cool can't wait to see action pics
those come in something other than green?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I ordered the same LED lights a week ago. Can't you just spray paint the casing black while covering the glass portion with some tape? My Wee is black too so I am very interested in the outcome, however I did not plan to invest more into the LED lights.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20$ for the lights form princess auto so its cheap lol. Just need to be good with atleast a dremmel or a mill if you got one. They can be painted but lets face it this way will look cooler and more protection for the light. and as I know they only come in green, Honestlay don't care if they lightup green, I want the metal casing, its a nice one

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am in the process of making some mounting brackets for two of the red waterproof 3W LED's. Going to mount them as running lights/turn signals. These things sure are bright, but the waterproof ones are also very directional. These things, according to the manufacturer, are rated at 14VDC max. Since the charging system outputs more than that at speed, I made a little voltage regulator to make sure they do not see more than about 13VDC. Just something to be aware of. Overdriving LED's is a sure way to fry them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so whats the max wattage the system puts out then ???? and do you have plans for the regulator ???

·
Registered
517 Posts
How can it be done? Is it something simple? I am not good at juggling electrons.
It might be overkill or not totally necessary, I dont know, but it gives me peace of mind that they wont see voltages over 12-13VDC. No it is not hard.
All you need is an LM317 and two set resistors. You can find the circuit on the LM317 datasheet. All the info you need is there. Vout = 1.25(1 + R2/R1) + a term you can ignore for this purpose. I used 255 ohm for R1 and 2400 ohm for R2, other combinations are possible. Small 1/4 W resistors are fine. The TO220 package is probably the easiest for this purpose. These regulators are capable of 1.5A current output but a heatsink would be required. These LED's do not draw that much. I'll post a pic when I get home.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did note on there site they start they work for cars, and cars regularly hit 14volts. So to be honest its most likely overkill but still safe then sorry.

·
Registered
517 Posts
so whats the max wattage the system puts out then ???? and do you have plans for the regulator ???
I set the LM317 to limit the voltage to 13VDC. At 14.3VDC in, the voltage I see @5000rpm on my battery, the LED sees 13VDC. At 12VDC in, the led sees about
10.5VDC (the tradeoff for the design being simple, but you dont see much difference in output between 10.5 & 13VDC). What is interesting is the fact that these LED's draw max current at less than 12-13VDC.
At 13VDC at the LED, the current draw is 130mA, so about 1.7W, with a mere 0.17W dissipated in the regulator so no heatsink is needed.
At about 7VDC or so the current draw is about 220mA, so about 1.54W.
They turn on at about [email protected]
Again, I do not know if it is 'absolutely' necessary, but it wont hurt anything and it is trivial to do.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Bottom left is a LM317 voltage regulator. I wired it up (how: see datasheet at the link kindly provided by GT-Hawk) and heatshrinked the whole thing. Three wires, input, output, common ground. A quarter shown for size reference. I used the LM317 in my DIY LED turnsignals as well (different resistor values however). The LM-series regulators are very versatile.

Some of this stuff is just fun to do and not always absolutely necessary.:thumbup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
is that a kit or just parts your put together for turn signals ???
Not a kit. Completely DIY. They are pretty bright . I was not about to pay $100+ for LED turn signals, that's way overpriced. Same idea used, LM317 to get correct voltage for these LED's, wire as many as will fit in parallel. I added a 10W resistor to keep the flashing rate the same since I did not want to replace the flasher relay and I didn't care about saving watts. Was a fun little project and hey, they still work fine. It really is not that hard. This is was meant to be a crude trial version but since they work rather well I didn't bother making a nicer looking board with more LED's.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
been a while since I did some stuff like that. I am no expert on it but father is a electrical enginere so hey if Ig et lost I can ask lol :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
:confused:I've been reading your thread and this is WAY over my head. I am too cheap to pay big bucks for LED trun signals, but want to mount LEDs on the front forks, add LED turn signals and add some LED brake lights. Can you give real dumbed down instructions for keeping the voltage down and do you have suggestions on where to get the lights, especially for the turn signals? Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:confused:I've been reading your thread and this is WAY over my head. I am too cheap to pay big bucks for LED trun signals, but want to mount LEDs on the front forks, add LED turn signals and add some LED brake lights. Can you give real dumbed down instructions for keeping the voltage down and do you have suggestions on where to get the lights, especially for the turn signals? Thanks

to be honest man I would just buy them unless you want a project to make a set. I may buy a set myself s they seam brighter then stock turn signals which people have already told me are not as bright as the stock turn lights of my GT650

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Big trick

The big trick (if there is one) is to get the proper output voltage on the voltage regulator. After that, you just add as many LED's (in parallel) as the voltage regulator can handle, current-wise. A heat sink can be added if pushing the regulator to keep temps in check. Always thought that running lights could (should) be operated at around 20 or 30 HZ with a 50% duty cycle, which would allow you to run at higher peak current without overheating, and give a strobe effect to viewers if the light was scanning across the visual field, bound to get attention better than a steady light. Been plenty many years since I dabbled in electronics, so I'm not sure what method would provide the easiest switching.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts