StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading so much about taxing the charging system, I decided to get rid of my added fog lights/ Auxiliary lighting. They were 2 x 55watt , I had the nice triangle lighting doing, could really see me from a distance.
Today i gat me little envelope from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ , I ordered two 12VDC Oval Module with 6 Super Bright LEDs, Now when I saw them I thought there was a mistake, these things are small !!
Measures 1-3/4 x 7/8 x 1/2 inches,
Made a makeshift L bracket for them and mounted the little guys to my PWD Light bar. They are friggen bright, hope another set is as bright or brighter that I ordered.

The bracket is a proto type. I'll use the same one for the other lights that are coming. Once I am happy with a choice, I'll make something nicer and paint them :thumbup:

Low Beam, and the little lights just shine. I'm happy. and I'm using about 100 watts less.

The wife wants Amber lighting for her Versys.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I bought the same lights. The white was too blue for my taste so I changed to amber.

·
38,048 Posts
It's about being seen.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
to be seen or not

do tjhey project any light or more for being seen ???
It's mainly to be seen !! :hurray: If you want to see better you probably would have to go with foglights that suck up 2x30W or more.

I have another LED set coming from another company, these will be tested later this week as well, and I'll post my comments and a few pic's as well. :yesnod:

The ones I have mounted now have yet to be tested out on the road. I want to know if it bothers my wife when I'm behind her, and I need to know if the Pyramid effect (?) can bee seen from a distance during the day.

I should be getting my Voltmeter in from China ( sorry america ). I need to keep track of my farkles cost of watts.

I bought the same lights. The white was too blue for my taste so I changed to amber.
My wife hates the white's I have. They are too blinding and distracting for her. Amber set I ordered is for her Versys, mounting should be fun.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the motolights on mine right now and I'm very tempted to install their LED bulbs. I have two 50W in there now and the LED only draw 4W each.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My wife hates the white's I have. They are too blinding and distracting for her.
As bright as they are, what about the 4-LED lamps instead?

·
Registered
654 Posts
http://www.plasmaled.com/high_power_module.htm

thats what I got tho I got the 1watt and not the 3 watt ones DOH. But these make you seen and do project some light which is really nice. the ones on forks stay on 24/7 as they make that triangle idea, tho I got another set being mounted for sole purpose of extra light which I may just order up the 3 watt ones or even break down and get some danalies. and these are not being mounted in any of the usual; sports :thumbup:

also to be seen the new e41 sittin in my living room are getting the admore lights :yesnod:

·
38,048 Posts
I used aluminum angle stock with one face removed above the light. The remaining face is retained by the lowest side cowling bolt that attaches to the side of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As bright as they are, what about the 4-LED lamps instead?
Probably just as fine I would think, this LED thing is a trial and error until we can have a list for future strommers. I'm having fun with this.

http://www.plasmaled.com/high_power_module.htm

thats what I got tho I got the 1watt and not the 3 watt ones DOH. :yesnod:
I have the one Bulb units coming as well. Then there is also the question of do I want low profile, wide angle, blah blah blah......... Not quite sure anymore which ones I orders, I'll post some pic's when I'm ready.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Probably just as fine I would think, this LED thing is a trial and error until we can have a list for future strommers. I'm having fun with this.

I have the three Bulb units coming. Then there is also the question of do I want low profile, wide angle, blah blah blah......... Not quite sure anymore which ones I orders, I'll post some pic's when I'm ready.

i'm not sure the low profiles are waterproof like the top hat shaped ones are

·
Registered
170 Posts
Help please.

Non-electrician checking in.

I have the amber LED lights coming in. How do I hook em up? :confused:

FYI, I am a blue collar do it yourself guy, but I suck the fat one when it comes to electrical stuff. :furious:

·
38,048 Posts
Non-electrician checking in.

I have the amber LED lights coming in. How do I hook em up? :confused:

FYI, I am a blue collar do it yourself guy, but I suck the fat one when it comes to electrical stuff. :furious:
Do you want them to go on with the ignition, or on with the low beam and off with the high beam. Do you have a fuse block installed?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do you want them to go on with the ignition, or on with the low beam and off with the high beam. Do you have a fuse block installed?
No fuse block. I want them to go on with the ignition. I reckon off with high beams like my truck and car.

I am nervous to cut into anything, but I want to learn.

·
38,048 Posts
Get a couple of blue Posi-Taps from http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Posi-Lock/posi-lock.html PTA1618
They allow tapping into a wire without doing anything more than making a small hole in the insulation of the stock wire. The ground wires on the Stroms are black with a white stripe. The low beam hot wire is black with a blue stripe. You can find both leading to the headlight connectors. Circuits are made by a hot wire delivering current to as load such as a light and returning from the load to ground. IIRC, the LEDs in question have a red wire for hot and a black wire for ground, a pretty universal scheme for accessories. Connect the hots (black/blue to red) and the grounds (black/white to black) and the LEDs will be on whenever the low beams are on.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the lights in yesterday from http://www.plasmaled.com/, the model 009-3W white is also a single bulb, go figure? This is the wide angle low profile unit

The other set I got in as well, is from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ , these are the amber lights I got for the wifes Versys. It's the
ULITE-B-A3, has a 3M backing on it, comes in a plastic housing with a lens, looks waterproof in a way.

I wont be able to play with the lights this week probably. By tuesday next week I should have the lights test mounted and a few pic's for comparison.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts