StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to play with the luggage, good thing they are only the JC Whitney cases, don't think I would have done this with $1k luggage.
This is what I had before I began

First I dremmeled the ribs a tad wider, had to drill a hole for the wire's as well, two strips per case. One was for the signals, the other for brake lights. Colors are according.

Here I did a dry try before I applied the epoxy.

Finally I epoxy'd the strips, then I found my signal wires and cleaned the plastic off, soldered wire to those, then hot-glued the wires to protect them again.

Making my own 3 prong plug's I am able to unplug the cases if I want to remove then.

I took a video with my cheapo Fuji camera, blinkers and brake lights all work awesome. The auxilory brake lights on the luggage are connect to the 'Back-off' unit. they now blink 5 times - hold for 5 sec's then blink again. Hope it can be opened.
http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv111/UtahAlps/Misc/Farkle Process/luaggage LED lights/?action=view&current=Theworksworking.flv

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
^^^^
Really nice work!!! Very visible and very sensible implementation.

B.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I agree...that really is some great work!

Excellent job on the install.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Results look good. Couldn't you have put the strips under the red plastic lens without needing to cut anything??

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Impressive results. A big WELL DONE.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Results look good. Couldn't you have put the strips under the red plastic lens without needing to cut anything??

Ken
Thanks for the compliments Everybody !!!

Maggot The red / orange material is not see thru, and the space available was not big enough. I was trying to look at other options first because I knew if I screw this dremmel job up there's no going back. The dremmel made it just right, I did shave a little much sometimes, could see the hollow space of a raised rib, but the light strip and epoxy covered that.

My mistake was not painting the plastic prior to glueing the strips in - next time I guess.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Everybody !!!

Maggot The red / orange material is not see thru, and the space available was not big enough. I was trying to look at other options first because I knew if I screw this dremmel job up there's no going back. The dremmel made it just right, I did shave a little much sometimes, could see the hollow space of a raised rib, but the light strip and epoxy covered that.

My mistake was not painting the plastic prior to glueing the strips in - next time I guess.
Well that makes sense..

I have 6 strips, identical to yours ( but 24cm) on the way that I got on fleabay last week. I'm gonna put them inside the lenses of my givi trunk.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that makes sense..

I have 6 strips, identical to yours ( but 24cm) on the way that I got on fleabay last week. I'm gonna put them inside the lenses of my givi trunk.

Ken
Ken - Good luck and have fun. If I can be of assistance just drop me a PM. I may be slow to answer.
Look forward to see your project.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Did something similar to my Givi's. Just a single strip for extra taillights. They are fastened with a very high quality double back tape(acquired from Boeing surplus. Really like the idea of the second strip in amber for turn signals. Will post some photos soon.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Photos.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Apologies if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but two questions:

1. Are these LED strips waterproof?
2. Where might one acquire them online?

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Apologies if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but two questions:

1. Are these LED strips waterproof?
2. Where might one acquire them online?

1. Yes, they are waterproof(They say even submersible)
2. E-bay. Paid $2.50 each, shipped. Harbor Freight also. $10 each.

·
Registered
962 Posts
They're waterproof,
I have 8 on the way from fleabay.
Got a little better price for this amount. 14.50 shipped for them all. 24cm (approx 9") each.

There are dozen of sellers and even more lengths and colors..

Ken

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Outstanding work!

Looking good, Andreas! Looking forward to a chance to follow you somewhere soon and see these in action! It's getting warmer, time to ride!

:hurray:

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Auxiliary lights

I have been running two 55Watt auxiliary lights, I'm pulling 110 watts, probably putting a strain on the electrical system when I also have my cell phone charging and the GPS plugged in. I ordered two types of LED lights today - ( If someone is interested, if not close this window NOW! )
First pair is from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ , they are the
ALM-B-x6 Accent Light Module White ALM-B-W6 , black housing. $23.00 with shipping.

The other pair is a bit pricier than from superbright, but they looked pretty nice and had a few more options concerning the angular beam. http://www.plasmaled.com/ Two are just under $40.00, free shipping

I'll be lowering my wattage down to about 15 if I read the specs right, maybe even lower? Mounting wont be an issue, I just hope that the LED's are bright enough for the daytime. I want to be seen.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Did you remone the rear reflective plastic on you case and then install the led's ??
Let us know a little more please -
The light strips fit behind the red plastic piece on the case. When I re-installed the red plastic piece the light strips caused the plastic to bulge slightly... I filled the gap with caulk and you really can't notice the small gap unless you look hard.

There are two strips. One is on continuously. This strip is fed directly from the aux fuse block under the seat, and this circuit also supplies power to a cigerette lighter inside the case.

The other strip is connected to a Back-Off modulator and activates with the brakes in a flashing pattern (along with the integrated light that comes with the case). I cut into the rear brake circuit by cutting into the the wire bundle that runs under the seat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts