StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So there is a nice long thread on this forum already talking mainly about a light by GENSSi. Judging by the E-bay price compared to the GENSSi website it might be a knockoff. If you want to read the thread its a good help in deciding if you want to get that particular headlight.

I want to know if anyone here has used a different headlight - specifically this one. This headlight is made by Karun and the manufacture page for this light can be seen here.

There are virtually no reviews of the Karon light anywhere and it's new for 2014 (with the XML2 leds). I saw one today on a KLR650 and he said he liked it less than his other LED which looks somewhat similar to this one. I don't really want to pay 100$ for the set though so I'm really mostly interested in hearing from folks about the one made by Karun, maybe in comparison to the GENSSi knockoff...

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
So there is a nice long thread on this forum already talking mainly about a light by GENSSi. Judging by the E-bay price compared to the GENSSi website it might be a knockoff. If you want to read the thread its a good help in deciding if you want to get that particular headlight.

I want to know if anyone here has used a different headlight - specifically this one. This headlight is made by Karon and the manufacture page for this light can be seen here.

There are virtually no reviews of the Karon light anywhere and it's new for 2014 (with the XML2 leds). I saw one today on a KLR650 and he said he liked it less than his other LED which looks somewhat similar to this one. I don't really want to pay 100$ for the set though so I'm really mostly interested in hearing from folks about the one made by Karun, maybe in comparison to the GENSSi knockoff...
I have the GENSSi style light. I doubt the eBay one is a knock off, it's well made and they've been trouble free since I put them in. (So far, even free from troubles with the law)

The second one is passively cooled, but it's not going to fit as well. You really do want to retain the rubber boot and sealing, otherwise condensation in the headlight might become an issue. The GENSSi ones are still a PITA to fit, but everything does actually fit and seal.

It looks like the new one pokes out more light on high beam though (two emitters).

Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the GENSSi style light. I doubt the eBay one is a knock off, it's well made and they've been trouble free since I put them in. (So far, even free from troubles with the law)

The second one is passively cooled, but it's not going to fit as well. You really do want to retain the rubber boot and sealing, otherwise condensation in the headlight might become an issue. The GENSSi ones are still a PITA to fit, but everything does actually fit and seal.

It looks like the new one pokes out more light on high beam though (two emitters).

Pete
The GENSSi doesn't look like it comes with any sort of boot or seal in the picture? are you talking about the factory boot and seal?

Also after giving all the LEDs data sheets a more thorough read I'm thinking that the headlights that use the MTG2 leds might be at an advantage. I might be willing to drop the extra 20$ and get these.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The GENSSi doesn't look like it comes with any sort of boot or seal in the picture? are you talking about the factory boot and seal?

Also after giving all the LEDs data sheets a more thorough read I'm thinking that the headlights that use the MTG2 leds might be at an advantage. I might be willing to drop the extra 20$ and get these.
6500K is too blue for me. I like daylight coloring which is closer to 4300K.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts

Factory boot yes. The LED's are much more efficient and don't dump as much heat into the reflectors, so if you start getting condensation in there it's not just going to bake out.

All very well having a light which is spec'd for several times the life of the bike, but if the reflectors start corroding instead, it's not a win.

The style of that latest set look O.K. you'll probably be able to get the boot on at least.

Like Greywolf I'd also suggest going yellower. Mine are 5000k's and are just plausibly white enough to not attract unwanted attention. The more they look like normal lights the less grief you are likely to get.

Pete

·
Registered
393 Posts
I second what PeteW says... just finished a 6000km trip in June and never had a single issue with my Genssi style lights from e-bay...they survived lots of dirt and more than 1 torrential rain, both sitting and at sustained speeds while driving.... I like the 5000K white light, no real visible blue tint...just very white :) , no issues with the law either :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed the ebay Genssi's a couple of weeks ago. They look identical to the pictures on Genssi's website. However, the packaging is different (much more generic). So far, they work great. The 5000K color is perfect. It is white, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I want to know if anyone here has used a different headlight - specifically this one. This headlight is made by Karun and the manufacture page for this light can be seen here.

So I made a review of the Karun headlights on youtube. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJpPs5s5wM&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I made a review of the Karun headlights on youtube. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJpPs5s5wM&feature=youtu.be
After a lengthy correspondence with Karun I was able to get a copy of their spectral test report for these lights. They are actually a color temperature of 6600K and output 1950 LM per bulb. They also have a CRI of 73 which is acceptable.

I am going on a long ride this weekend (about 1200miles) and will be doing some night driving through the mountains. I'll let you know how they perform.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The GENSSi LED looks like a really fantastic buy. Considering that some halogen H4 bulbs can run 50 bucks a pop and consume way more power and produce a lot more heat. Does anyone know if the vibrations from the bike will have any affect on the lifespan of the LED?

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I purchased these ... 2014 New 40W 4800 LM CREE LED Headlight Kit Bulb 9005 9006 H8 H11 H4 H7 | eBay But he sent me these.... 2014 New JDM 60W 6000LM CREE LED Headlight Kit 9005 9006 H4 H7 H8 H9 H10 H11 | eBay I emailed him about them only being 20 watt when he states 60 etc. I guess I got a free upgrade...

Now my question is when installing these, where does the LED's point?? Position up, down, inside, outside..?? I looked on the website but didn't find any directions for the display orientation...

They may go in only one way but I have not test fit them yet.... I want to be fully informed before I go in to do this....

Anyone have any experance with installing this type??

·
Administrator
5,561 Posts
So I purchased these ... 2014 New 40W 4800 LM CREE LED Headlight Kit Bulb 9005 9006 H8 H11 H4 H7 | eBay But he sent me these.... 2014 New JDM 60W 6000LM CREE LED Headlight Kit 9005 9006 H4 H7 H8 H9 H10 H11 | eBay I emailed him about them only being 20 watt when he states 60 etc. I guess I got a free upgrade...

Now my question is when installing these, where does the LED's point?? Position up, down, inside, outside..?? I looked on the website but didn't find any directions for the display orientation...

They may go in only one way but I have not test fit them yet.... I want to be fully informed before I go in to do this....

Anyone have any experance with installing this type??
I purchased and fitted the type you ordered 3 months ago. The difference is the type you ordered cannot fit directly into an H4 socket, but has an adapter which also acts as an anti-scatter shield into which the LED bulb is fitted. See the pic which I took from your link.

The bulb that you were sent has a fitting which fits directly into your H4 socket. Some of these bulbs send a whole lot of light scatter everywhere and may result in people flashing their lights at you. The 3 pin H4 socket is self aligning and can only be fitted one way into your headlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm.. well these come with a shield.. I will have to try them and possibly adjust the headlights down if it bothers the oncoming traffic..

·
Registered
257 Posts
I really don't like those massive heatsinks, they might even melt something on a 40c day. Would need to fabricate some kind of air scoop to cool them down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any updates?

Hi,

Just wondering if any of the folks with the LED replacement bulbs have an update on their experiences. Most of the links to the bulbs purchased have expired, of course.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Hi,

Just wondering if any of the folks with the LED replacement bulbs have an update on their experiences. Most of the links to the bulbs purchased have expired, of course.
Probably been over a year for me. Mine still work and provide good light for night riding.

I mounted the heat sinks for the current source down on the steering stem where they get a breeze, no problems. I;d guess the fans will go first and take the LED's, but probably a couple of years left. These have seen rain, lumpy dirt roads at speed and probably 30-40,000k's of riding, so I'd call them good value for money.

9004 HI LO DRL Cree 56W 5000LM 5000K CAR LED Headlight KIT H4 H13 9007 Lamp Bulb | eBay

That's the style I used,

Pete

1 - 20 of 22 Posts