StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the last 5 years, I have wasted a lot of time and money trying to get great headlights - first my ST1100 then my 2010 DL650.
I must have tried 10 different LED types and nothing really worked. Some were hopelessly unfocused and downright dangerous, others had great dipped beams but pretty much no main beam. A friend recommended these Novsight LED's to me and I took a risk - about £36 for the pair of H4's on ebay before Christmas.

I fitted them on the 650 in about 15 minutes - a little fiddly but got them on with the bulb rubber covers. The result is simply amazing. The sharp "Z" cutoff, dipped beam has a raised angle on left to extend the kerb view and is bright and clear. Main/High beam is great , brighter than most cars and with 200+ meters of vision.

It is a bright ice white light and I have not been flashed in 100+ miles of night driving. I haven't checked if Novsight have different colours than 6000k

If you want LED's, I 100% recommend these.

Don

These are the F03 series H4 ones I bought: NOVSIGHT 90W 14400LM H4 H7 H11 9005 9006 LED Headlight Bulb Hi/Low Beam Lamps | eBay

and here Novsight F03 series H4/H7/H11/9005/9006 led headlight bulbs

Font Triangle Rectangle Electronic device Advertising

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What year DL650?

Thanks for the review.
I added the night images here to save people having to go to page 2,
Taken on a 100 yard/meter path on a dry night with a Samsung A22 phone with no flash and default settings.
On the dipped beam/low beam Image, you can clearly see the cut off
Plant Water Natural landscape Road surface Asphalt
Plant Road surface Natural landscape Wood Asphalt

· Vendor
7,764 Posts
I have seen a set of these yet with a truthful output claim from the retail market.

This is why a review like yours is so valuable. Someone tried them and said they work great has a whole lot more meaning than the claims (lies) on the box.

Here is a current real estimate of output from LEDs.

75-110 lumens/watt

Depending on the bulb and the manufacturer, LED technology typically produces 75-110 lumens/watt. So, LEDs are generally about 7 times more efficient at producing light than incandescent bulbs.

Expect 75 for Chinese elements and 110 Lumen only for current state-of-the-art American made CREE elements.

So those, being made in China with Chinese elements are more likely :

90 watts x 75 lumens/watt = 6750 lumens for the pair. Or 3375 lumen per light. Which is very respsectable.

So, good share!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen a set of these yet with a truthful output claim from the retail market.

This is why a review like yours is so valuable. Someone tried them and said they work great has a whole lot more meaning than the claims (lies) on the box.

Here is a current real estimate of output from LEDs.

75-110 lumens/watt

Depending on the bulb and the manufacturer, LED technology typically produces 75-110 lumens/watt. So, LEDs are generally about 7 times more efficient at producing light than incandescent bulbs.

Expect 75 for Chinese elements and 110 Lumen only for current state-of-the-art American made CREE elements.

So those, being made in China with Chinese elements are more likely :

90 watts x 75 lumens/watt = 6750 lumens for the pair. Or 3375 lumen per light. Which is very respsectable.

So, good share!
These bulbs can equal HID imo. It's the clean Z cutoff which is terrific so blinding no one (in my experience). I stood 30 yards up from the bike on dipped beam (where I thought a car would be) and they didn't dazzle. They were bright but not dazzling. I am very impressed with them.

· Registered
245 Posts
So if the standard bulbs are 55/60 watts, and these are 45, what you're paying for is not so much a reduction in power usage as it is much improved lighting? Is that right?

I have a headlight modulator that makes my headlight pulse bright, dim, bright, dim during the day (this is for either high or low beams, not alternating between them). I know this is a bit much of an ask, but do you have any information on how well these LEDs would work with that?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So if the standard bulbs are 55/60 watts, and these are 45, what you're paying for is not so much a reduction in power usage as it is much improved lighting? Is that right?

I have a headlight modulator that makes my headlight pulse bright, dim, bright, dim during the day (this is for either high or low beams, not alternating between them). I know this is a bit much of an ask, but do you have any information on how well these LEDs would work with that?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Sorry - I have no idea. The extent of my knowledge is that I spent £36 and fitted 2 bulbs.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And you were happy with the result.

That is important because not everyone who replaces their headlights with LEDs is happy with the result.
Completely agree. A little more yellow would be nice. 6000k IS a harsh white but on the positive side I can now see deer from a long way off at night.
I added (relayed) two tone horns and the deer now get notice of my arrival :).
They're both life savers in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts