·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Ouch! $12 just to ship two light bulbs? :thumbdown:

Still, I'm interested to see how this works out for folks. I've contemplated doing the exact same thing.
There are ballasts and the lighting elements are fan cooled.

·
Registered
159 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/7000K-Cree-White-Projector-Light/dp/B00HSFTGRI%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJUSCWOSC5SSG4USQ%26tag%3Dthp0t-20%26linkCode%3Dsp1%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00HSFTGRI

These are $31 the pair and they're claiming 1200 lumens at 7000K. for comparison, a Sylvania Silverlight is 910/1500 lumens at 4100K

Let me know how yours work out. Every time I muck with the bulbs I manage to cut myself on something under there . . .
Hmmmm - not sure of this comment:

•Can be converted to high or low beam to meet your demand.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Are you talking about this one??
LED Headlight.jpg

LED Headlight 1.jpg

LED Headlight 2.jpg
Product Description

Super Bright 30w H4 CREE LED Hi / Low Headlight Bulb

These high quality LED Headlight Bulbs are 30 - 40% brighter than standard 55w bulbs - even out performing HID kits. The housing is manufactured using high quality machined aluminium which encases 2 x super bright GENUINE CREE LED CHIPS. These bulbs are a standard H4 fitment and simply plug directly into your car or motorcycles headlight H4 female plug without the need for any modifications - Simply Plug n Play.

Specifications:
•12v / 30w
•Hi / Low Beam
•Genuine CREE Chips ( MADE IN THE USA )
•Light Output: Approx 2200 lumens
•Light Colour: 5000k
•Aluminium Housing
•For Sizes - please see photos
•You will receive 1 x headlight bulb with LED driver

Features:
•High Quality
• No Modifications Needed
• Super Bright
• Long Lifespan
• Simple To Fit - DIY

I've been looking to install on my Buell, just don't know if the bulb can handle getting caught in the rain or the constant bombardment of that damn Harley motor.......Like the lumens ratings though......

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 72570

View attachment 72578

View attachment 72586
Product Description

These high quality LED Headlight Bulbs are 30 - 40% brighter than standard 55w bulbs - even out performing HID kits. The housing is manufactured using high quality machined aluminium which encases 2 x super bright GENUINE CREE LED CHIPS. These bulbs are a standard H4 fitment and simply plug directly into your car or motorcycles headlight H4 female plug without the need for any modifications - Simply Plug n Play.

Specifications:
•12v / 30w
•Hi / Low Beam
•Aluminium Housing

Features:
•High Quality
• Super Bright
• Long Lifespan
• Simple To Fit - DIY

I've been looking to install on my Buell, just don't know if the bulb can handle getting caught in the rain or the constant bombardment of that damn Harley motor.......Like the lumens ratings though......
No, different bulb. I'm also curious about how well they would hold up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Note that none of these are DOT approved.

·
Registered
564 Posts
View attachment 72570

View attachment 72578

View attachment 72586
Product Description

Specifications:
•12v / 30w
•Hi / Low Beam
•Aluminium Housing

Features:
•High Quality
• Super Bright
• Long Lifespan
• Simple To Fit - DIY

This is the one I am talking about.
Those ones without heat sinks don't last long.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the one I am talking about.
Those ones without heat sinks don't last long.
This is just what I'm looking for, real-world experience. If ballasts and such work best then I want to look that way. I'm looking for reliability, not novelty.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
View attachment 72570

View attachment 72578

View attachment 72586
Product Description

Specifications:
•12v / 30w
•Hi / Low Beam
•Aluminium Housing

Features:
•High Quality
• Super Bright
• Long Lifespan
• Simple To Fit - DIY

That's the one I have, very nice, works well, good cutoff.

The big gains weren't what I expected, sure the extra light is nice, but what's nicer is the smooth fill. Switching to high beam with these leaves low beam on, so you get light fill from the road just in front of the bike to 200m. BIG win if you are stupid enough to get caught on dirt roads at night.
So low beam is ~2000lm per side, high ~4000 per side, that's a lot of photons.

Current is about 2A low/4A high, less than the stock lights even on full beam, if you run heated gear, probably a very good option.

It's not like a HID, it's very even illumination, so a lot less issues with reflective road signs, and a lot less problems with being dazzled by the light close in and losing distance vision.

Instant on, instant transition high->low->high. No momentary black out or poor lights.

The bulbs are good, they should handle some water on the fans - the only problem I can think of is that in cold damp climates they may not heat up the inside of the light assembly enough to clear it of condensation.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts

It's not like a HID, it's very even illumination, so a lot less issues with reflective road signs, and a lot less problems with being dazzled by the light close in and losing distance vision.

Pete

I would add HID PlugnPlay has that issue - proper HID projector lens fills the light evenly but there is a degree of difficulty and bravery involved to bake headlight assembly to pull it apart.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So Pete......Where did you find yours and how much?? I can't find anything in the states or much under $100 bucks...

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
So Pete......Where did you find yours and how much?? I can't find anything in the states or much under $100 bucks...
eBay, ~$90AU, so should be a bit less in US $. Match the pictures with the one posted and you should be good. Prices are coming down, if you can wait a few months they should be quite a bit less than now.

Pete

1 - 20 of 102 Posts