StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ride down the Blue Ridge Pkwy convinced me to add some more lighting up front --- especially when caught after dark in fog, rain and dodging roadside deer. I prefer fog lights over driving lights, and prefer LED over halogen due to lower power draw (I ride with heated gear). I plan to buy the SW-Motech aux mounts that are specific to the 2012+ Vstrom. Looking for any advice from riders who have purchased the Denali D1 (which has a 35 degree pattern fog lens as one option) or perhaps the PIAA 530 LED fog lamps. Any advice or suggestions?
A 35w halogen yellow fog lens would be my alternative, probably a PIAA, but am concerned it draws too much power and is probably a much larger housing that would sit too high up on the sides of the bike. My Vulcan Nomad has 35W sealed beam amber bulbs up front, which are great for fog and make the bike much more visible in daytime with the amber spots offseting the white headlight. Thanks for your replies!

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Whatever lights you purchase, make sure when they are mounted on the bike, they will not get "smashed" should you drop your bike. I'd hate to spend $200 on lights only to bugger one up when my bike decides to take a nap. I see so many units mounted on the exterior of fork legs........makes me wonder how long they will survive mounted out there?? Same with "Light Bars"......if the units are out past the crash bar impact area, expect to be replacing it (the light) someday?? :confused:

·
Registered
565 Posts
My ride down the Blue Ridge Pkwy convinced me to add some more lighting up front --- especially when caught after dark in fog, rain and dodging roadside deer. I prefer fog lights over driving lights, and prefer LED over halogen due to lower power draw (I ride with heated gear). I plan to buy the SW-Motech aux mounts that are specific to the 2012+ Vstrom. Looking for any advice from riders who have purchased the Denali D1
I had the same experience on a similar ride. I've added the D2s to 2 bikes and I have them set to be full on with the high beams, 60% (low) with regular. The Strom's D2s are mounted below my headlights via a TT mount to make a triangular pattern.

They throw a good amount of light to the sides on low and really light up the area when on high. They do dazzle oncoming vehicles because of their lenses, so a high mount didn't work out so well for me.

I've dropped another bike on the D2s where they were mounted in a more precarious position and there has been no damage to them. They are pretty tough. The wiring harness is well made, but I caution against pulling on it - the actual copper inside the insulation is thin and can be pulled out of the fittings.

I've had the lights on my bikes for 2 years with no other negative events. I would buy them again. There are other, equally powerful (or even more powerful) LED lights on the market that you may also want to check out.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would prefer yellow/amber but it seems the LED's are only white --- those for "fog" simply have a wider beam angle (25-35 degrees vs 10 degrees for the "driving" light straight down the road).
Investigating further, I'm now leaning towards a set of Denali DM1's and the Denali fender mount kit, which puts them lower on the bike, closer to the road, and creates a better visibility triangle with the headlights. I don't do much off-roading and am more interested in lights that illuminate what's in front, and the fender mounts will turn with the forks around the corners of the road. The guy at twistedthrottle seemed to think the DM1 would work as well for my purposes as the D1, something about the shape of the refractor --even though by spec the D1 has a larger housing and puts out almost twice the lumens.
Any opinions as between the DM1 and D1???

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would love to find some lights like you describe, yellow/amber fog type in a bright LED.

I was all set to remount from my previous bike some sweet Catz lights that have interchangeable bulbs that can be white, amber, white/gold, and on and on. They really lit up the night well and as you want fog lights to, low and wide. I also had a set up higher with white/yellow driving lights for higher up and out lighting with a switch to go between the two or off.

But when I realized the 55 watt power draw would be an issue for the Stroms e-system I had second thoughts.

On my previous ride..

So I settled for some LED visibility lights in amber from Skeene. They don't provide any illumination, but do add visibility during daylight hours which was my main concern.

They need to make a Denali light in amber, simple as that.

Oh and BTW, I've dropped my bike twice (not bragging) and the fork mounted lights have not contacted anything. Now some big 'ole honking large lights might certainly get crunched.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I don't do much off-roading and am more interested in lights that illuminate what's in front, and the fender mounts will turn with the forks around the corners of the road.
So when you counter steer to go around corners at speed, the lights will go in the opposite direction to the bike.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I just installed the DM1 lights on my bike and think that they will work out well. Haven't had a chance to use them at night but I left the spot lens in and they are really noticeable even in the daytime. I aimed them low so as not to blind anyone and to fill in my low beams. I think that they shed plenty of light myself. The VStrom has the best stock headlights of any bike that I have had.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
So when you counter steer to go around corners at speed, the lights will go in the opposite direction to the bike.
But we don't (can't) countersteer around the corner. Countersteering is momentary to get the bike to start leaning toward the turn. The wheel always steers into the turn to make the turn. Handlebar pressure while in the turn depends on the bike's geometry--if the bike is neutral no pressure is needed to hold the turn.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The DM1 ("micro")is what I am leaning towards now, probably with the Denali fender mount. How did you mount your DM1's?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
PTRider, good article.

I have DM1s, mounted on a Twisted Throttle light bar under the headlamps (09 strom). The main purpose for me is conspicuity (also have the yellow Skene Designs lights on the forks). After reading PTRider's article, I'm going to re-aim the lights to show more of the side of the road so that when I am in difficult visibility situations that area will be well lit.

I still have the stock lens in them and my try experimenting with the fog lens. They do throw a lot of light (I notice highway signs show up much better).

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I think that they are bright enough and the two lights are only 10 watts between them. I got the lights and the switch mount(I wired them so I could turn them on and off independently) and the fender mount kit. They went on pretty easily but I had received a defective switch so I spent too much time going over what I did thinking that I had screwed up. Called Twisted Throttle and they had a new switch to me the next day. Call them if you have any questions, I talked to Paul, good guy. Woodentoy

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I have DM1's mounted on my bike as well. They are bright and draw little juice. I've had to grind the pivot base to clear the mounting bolt head, as well as fill in the shoulder area of the fender mounting hole (shouldered bolt).
After complaints from the guys in my riding club, I'm still dialing in the light coverage as they say I'm blinding them. I have also installed a headlight cut-off to conserve watts, but will help in this aspect as well. The led idiot lights on the switch are useless. I've installed a led idiot light on the fairing in parallel with one of the driving lights to be more visible from the cockpit.

...Ken

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
The DM1 ("micro")is what I am leaning towards now, probably with the Denali fender mount. How did you mount your DM1's?
If you mount to the fender like I did, there is no additional mount required but what's included with the lights. Just replace the fender bolt with a similar one. Use a tri-square to help align the mount's vertical axis, then mount the lights and align the horizontal axis (light spread). Will be trial and error to dial in the coverage.....have patience.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106524901554596589421/2012VStrom?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMqGnNXGj9qxHA&feat=directlink

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you mount to the fender like I did, there is no additional mount required but what's included with the lights. Just replace the fender bolt with a similar one. Use a tri-square to help align the mount's vertical axis, then mount the lights and align the horizontal axis (light spread). Will be trial and error to dial in the coverage.....have patience.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106524901554596589421/2012VStrom?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMqGnNXGj9qxHA&feat=directlink
Twisted sells a Denali fender mount kit for $15 for the DM1, which includes longer bolts and a properly sized spacer--- which I assume will not require any grinding.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts