StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been experiencing some weird problem with my 2016 DL1000A's Suzuki LED turning signals.
Sometimes they work normally, sometimes they lit up half intensity and do not flash and sometimes they do not work at all.

I have tried the relays under the seat (interchanged, cleaned them etc..) no change. I replaced the 15A fuse as well. No change.

I read somewhere that it could be a faulty earthing point. Are there some specific places that I need to look for that, probably clean etc?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've had the same problem and on mine it was relay. I also tried everything but after replacing it with (non-Suzuki) new relay, specific for LED turning signals, it's all good. The only difference, that I can notice only at night, is that the indicators on the dash don't turn off completely while using the turning signals, but the turning signals themselves work very good.
Suzuki relays (for their LED turning signals) are known to fail after a while.

·
Super Moderator
5,157 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Brockie. My bike is a 2016 DL1000A. The relays configuration is quite different then yours. I do not have a 7 pin relay, or at least it is not in the battery area. Next to the fuse box there is another box with 3 blue coloured Denso relays. One is for the fuel pump, one for the fan motor and one for the side stand. Opposite these 2 boxes (ref pic) is what I trust to be the starter relay assembly. So I think the indicator relay is the round one on the side. It has 3 pins one of the pins is labelled signal and one ground. There is a green ground wire that runs directly to the negative pole of the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes, that is Suzuki relay. Mine was the same. I replaced it with a cheap one from eBay. It has no green wire to connect to negative on the battery but it is working well. It even has a little screw to adjust the flashing speed of your turning signals. When I ordered it I've got a pack of five, just in case... It was a year ago and it is still working well:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pin-Motorcycle-Speed-Adjustable-LED-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Flasher-Relay-12V-HW/273646155343?epid=2079152875&hash=item3fb694f64f:g:bksAAOSwiwZcNPlO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that is Suzuki relay. Mine was the same. I replaced it with a cheap one from eBay. It has no green wire to connect to negative on the battery but it is working well. It even has a little screw to adjust the flashing speed of your turning signals. When I ordered it I've got a pack of five, just in case... It was a year ago and it is still working well:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pin-Motorcycle-Speed-Adjustable-LED-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Flasher-Relay-12V-HW/273646155343?epid=2079152875&hash=item3fb694f64f:g:bksAAOSwiwZcNPlO
Thanks for your help Bosjno.

·
Super Moderator
5,157 Posts
The relay above claims to replace all DL1000 and DL650 06-18. Could a PO have changed yours for an LED suitable relay?
That green wire direct to the battery does not look OEM to me.
I guess if the relay is suspect just change it for a same one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The relay above claims to replace all DL1000 and DL650 06-18. Could a PO have changed yours for an LED suitable relay?
That green wire direct to the battery does not look OEM to me.
I guess if the relay is suspect just change it for a same one.
The relay is not the one that comes with the bike originally. However, it might have been included in the LED turn signal kit. It is an OEM one as that LED kit has been purchased at the dealership and is advertised on Suzuki website as a replacement of the incandescent original ones.

The green wire might have been added by the dealership when they installed the LED flasher kit as the replacement relay is a 3 pin one.

Now I have bought a 2 pin LED flasher relay as a replacement and it works fine. I tried to get the same one at the dealership but they didn't have stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bosjno, I have purchased a replacement 2 pin LED flasher relay as advised by you and it works. Fantastic! Thanks. I tried to get the Suzuki one at the dealer but they did not have stock. The new relay works fine, I also ordered a couple more on eBay as spares.
You're right when you say that the dashboard indicators do not turn off completely between blinks, but the turn signals behave normally.
I guess that it was the purpose of the 3 pin relay, 3rd pin being earthing, to somehow eliminate the residual glow in the dashboard indicators..
It is possible to find the 3 pins LED flasher relays on eBay as well. I will try it in the future and post the results here.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Glad you've got it sorted.
The relay shown on the photos by original poster is Suzuki one, usually used when LED's are installed not from the factory. My 2014 came with standard flasher and then Suzuki installed everything just like on the photos. Later I transfered everything to my '18 model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As promised in my previous post, here's an update of the 3 pin LED flasher relays I just received. They work better than the 2 pin ones in the sense that now the dashboard indicators flash properly (they turn completely off between blinking, not half lit like with the 2 pin relays). I ordered them from eBay, they are slightly more expensive then the 2 pin ones. I have attached a couple of photos. Sorry one of them is a bit blurred.
I re-installed the earthing cable that the dealer fitted. It works really nice. I even get a blinking sound from the relay.
Thanks again for your help. Cheers

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts