StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Issue: Driving home on Monday night I noticed one of my LED aux lights was off. Turns out it has power but is very dim.
Checked wiring and all looks good. Installed as a new set with relay kit in March of 2022.

Pic of LED below. All four bulbs are dim.

Anything I should look for? Possible it just went bad? Appreciate the input.

Tire Cloud Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
There may be a circuit board problem. If those are Adventure Tech's, contact Rick, or whomever the seller is if not AT.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,830 Posts
Swap the power between the two to confirm a failed unit.
Unless you are an electronics wiz failures like this are usually terminal as repair is likely more costly than replacement.
Warranty? What make are they?

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
784 Posts
I have found LED lights (whether home, commercial or automotive/vehicle) to greatly exaggerate their advertised life and many fail very early in their service life. I doubt any I've had has paid for themselves (power savings/cost paid) vs conventional incandescent.
Hope it's a simple fix.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,381 Posts
Around the house, we've had great luck with LEDs as replacements as the compact fluorescents wore out, which were better than incandescents. Except the Feit brand LEDs, those were duds. Incandescent bulbs are 2-4.x% efficient. I use them in my food dehydrator because they are such efficient heaters.

I write the date on the base when I replace a bulb. I'm also the guy who keeps the lights on at our church. Every time a T-8 fluorescent fixture fails, I remove the ballast and install the LED kit. I've never had to service one of the LEDs.

On various vehicles, I have had several fail.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have had cheap LED lights go out exactly like this. Just a dim shimmer. They are toast. If these are Clearlights hopefully they'll warranty them. The cheap ones I had failed by my analysis because the manufacturer had decided to omit three screws which were meant to connect the PCB board to the aluminum heat sink behind it (the screw holes were still there), and also didn't use any heat conducting paste. If LED's get too hot the lifetime is significantly reduced.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Around the house, we've had great luck with LEDs as replacements as the compact fluorescents wore out, which were better than incandescents. Except the Feit brand LEDs, those were duds.
10-4 on Feits. Cheap enough to experiment with color temperature, but if you have a hard to reach fixture, get a well known brand.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,830 Posts
So it is the unit and not the wiring connection.
Curious about your intended fix. Care to let us in on it? My fix would be a new pair of LEDS. We live in a disposable world.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too had a similar problem with one of my lights from AdventureTech. The difference however was that in my case 1 light stopped working all together. I contacted Rick & he advised me that it was probably a failed solder connection on the circuit board. Kudos to Rick as he sent me a new replacement light right away. Thanks Rick!

While waiting for the new light to arrive, out of curiosity, I removed the screws at the back of the light to gain access to the circuit board. Sure enough, the solder connection to the negative lead had indeed failed. With my very limited soldering skills I re-soldered the connection. While the light worked again, it was at a dimmer level than it originally was. Just like the OP said. Not sure why.

Regardless, as stated before, Rick was tremendous by sending me a new light. He's a good person to work with.
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Audio equipment Font Personal protective equipment

1 - 14 of 14 Posts