StromTrooper banner

Leaving for Gaspe this weekend! Anyone been this time of year?

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  woodentoy 
#1 ·
Specifically, I'm wondering how bad the biting flies and mosquitos are this time of year. I don't mind a few and plan to bring bug dope but my plans are pretty fluid. I ran in to biting flies in Red Bay, Labrador the beginning of August last year and 10 seconds after I took off my helmet, they were a cloud around my head. The only escape was to put the helmet on and keep going. About the worst I've experienced.

I know this is a different place and different time of year. Just curious.
Thanks for any feedback :thumbup:

#2 ·
I've gone around the Gaspe twice around this time and mid July, I don't remember the bugs being any worse than here in the woods of NH.
I honestly believe that the most severe head wind that I ever rode in was headed West on the St Lawrence.
Beautiful country.
Don't forget the head net.

#7 ·
Haven't been there but I met someone who had and they told me the other side of the river is just as pretty without the tourists. Now that sounds appealing to me. My experience on the east coast is that the blackflies are abundant in early summer and gone generally maybe by August. I'm still hoping to get out there this year.

#8 ·
Gaspe

I just got back from a 2.5 day trip from Moncton ,NB all around the Gaspe peninsula and back last week. We camped in Perce. All in all bugs weren't that bad. We had mosquito dope on hand but never used it. Weather was another thing raining on and off. All in all a pleasant 1500 km trip. Coming back we noted all the trailers headed towards Perce, glad we did the trip relatively early.

Brian

#11 ·
Gaspe

I'm doin it in the fall.

I've done it twice on my snowmobile...never on the bike...lookin forward to it.
:hurray:

#12 ·
Did it first week of July last year. No black flies and almost no mosquitos. And I was camping every night. Weather was excellent. In fact hot. The ride beatiful. To the point that I'm going there again this coming Saturday for a week trip. This time with my wife. Driving...Go to the North side of Saint Lawrence Rive - Tadoussac and take one of the boat trips they offer.

#16 ·
Thanks all for the feedback, guys! I'm psyched as hell! Doing a big counterclockwise loop. Up through Maine and NB. I'm planning to take the Matane Ferry and go see Manic 5. Then back down the north shore and take the bridge of Trois Rivieres. Then down to Burlington and meander down through VT.

I'll report back with some pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.