1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
435 Posts
I suspect the airbags might have played as big a role as the leather, if not bigger. They seem to be the biggest step forward in rider protection in decades.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
That was my impression too, slovcan...as good as leather is for riding gear, it can't counteract physics, and man, that kind of crash is a demonstration of the worst kind of physics. It's hard to believe he survived, and I bet that the airbag jacket played a huge part in that.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Big key he went over the car instead of his body impacting anything. Yeah the gear was useful but unlikely "saved his life",

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
HORRIBLE. I hope he has the best possible recovery. As I step through that video you can see that he is a very good rider. It also appears to me that the rear wheel is lofted and he has control of it. He is going straight as an arrow.
I am in no way second guessing the rider, as I sit in the comfort of my home.
While his situation may have been inescapable, I do think it is worth pointing out that he apparently hit the car dead center. The chief advantage of ABS, for both cars and bikes, is the ability to steer while under full braking.

Generally, we still default to trying to stop.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
Leather is great to keep your skin intact. Beyond that it is the armor in the suit that protects from impact.
And now we are seeing how important the air bag vests and built in air bag gear is becoming. I ride with an air bag vest exactly for this reason.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
The skill may be there, but the judgement and discretion isn't. I didn't realize it at first, but this is Yammie Noob's crash. He hit the other car in the car's own lane because he was out squidding, as he often does. This was, I think, his third crash and the worst of the three. I've seen other photos of the car, and this was one of those rare car vs bike crashes where it could have easily been a fatality for the driver of the car.

The helmet/airbag combo probably did save his life, but making the decision not to ride like that on roads occupied by other people who didn't agree to participate in his Moto GP fantasies would have avoided this crash entirely.

Check out his channel sometimes; his arrogance about his own abilities go a long way to explain why he ends up in situations like this.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You guys have things confused. The OP video is of a rider in the UK in his own lane being hit head on by a SQUID in a CAR who has crossed into the rider's lane because he - the car driver - was going too fast to make the turn.

The other video is of a rider (Yammie Noob?) in Texas in a different accident.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
627 Posts
Amazing that this guy lived. Hope the fucking idiot in the Subaru lost their license forever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts