StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Hey, thanks a lot for you efforts in putting this together. I ordered a Garmin, and just downloaded Basecamp, and it'll be nice to cut down on the learning curve and benefit from the wisdom of someone else who has already figured it out.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks a lot for you efforts in putting this together. I ordered a Garmin, and just downloaded Basecamp, and it'll be nice to cut down on the learning curve and benefit from the wisdom of someone else who has already figured it out.

Many thanks!
My Pleasure

·
Registered
37 Posts
I read through the tutorial, great information. My GPS however is a Garmin 255W and doesn't support BaseCamp. I have however downloaded an app for my IPhone and will try that.

One question I have is that BaseCamp software only shows major roads and no streets. Is there something that I am missing, I couldn't find it in the document.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts

One question I have is that BaseCamp software only shows major roads and no streets. Is there something that I am missing, I couldn't find it in the document.
The downloaded version uses "Global Maps" which lack some detail. With a Garmin GPS that supports Basecamp you can download its maps to Basecamp/PC and have full detail. Or you can buy the maps (DVD or download) too.

Hope that helps.

PS: great job, epconde. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I used the tutorial, and experimented with Basecamp, and to be honest, I find that Tyre is a lot easier to use, with a much more intuitive interface. I was creating custom routes within about twenty minutes of downloading it, and I've already successfully transferred these routes to my Garmin.

Basecamp probably has more functions, but Tyre did pretty much all I wanted from a mapping program, which was to create custom rides for me to follow with the GPS. For me, functionality+free=no frustration.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I haven't gone through the tutorial yet but I've been using Tyre for a couple of years. Alows me to create custom routes and upload them to my Zumo 550. When I first got the Zumo, I pounded on Basecamp for a couple of hours and got pretty fustrated. I then found Tyre and have been using it ever since.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I used the tutorial, and experimented with Basecamp, and to be honest, I find that Tyre is a lot easier to use, with a much more intuitive interface. I was creating custom routes within about twenty minutes of downloading it, and I've already successfully transferred these routes to my Garmin.

Basecamp probably has more functions, but Tyre did pretty much all I wanted from a mapping program, which was to create custom rides for me to follow with the GPS. For me, functionality+free=no frustration.
Tyre is OK if you do not ask much from your routing program.

Tyre is a Google Maps based route planning program that does not work with Macs. Some feel that Tyre, and other Google Maps based programs like Harley Ride Planner, are easier to use than BaseCamp.

BaseCamp proponents argue:
1) Tyre and Harley Ride Planner do not differentiate between waypoints, via points, and shaping points. As a result, downloaded routes have numerous waypoints that cause havoc with newer Garmin devices with Ride Planner. Rides are broken into multiple smaller rides divided at each waypoint.

2) BaseCamp does not need a WiFi signal. If you are on the road without a WiFi signal, you cannot alter your route using Tyre or Harley Ride Planner.

3) Tyre is limited to 48 waypoints making it more difficult to plan longer, more complicated routes.

4) You cannot set points to not audibly announce on your GPS using Tyre or Harley Ride Planner. All points will audibly announce during a ride even when no turn is upcoming.

5) You can only create one route per file using Tyre or Harley Ride Planner. BaseCamp allows users to access all of their rides and favorites. This helps riders to quickly create new routes by simply copying and pasting.

6) You cannot use start times and layover times to create an itinerary in Tyre or Harley Ride Planner. You also cannot set riding speeds to help predict arrival times.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read through the tutorial, great information. My GPS however is a Garmin 255W and doesn't support BaseCamp. I have however downloaded an app for my IPhone and will try that.

You need to use Garmin Express to download the detailed maps to your computer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't gone through the tutorial yet but I've been using Tyre for a couple of years. Alows me to create custom routes and upload them to my Zumo 550. When I first got the Zumo, I pounded on Basecamp for a couple of hours and got pretty fustrated. I then found Tyre and have been using it ever since.
Tyre is OK. It is certainly a lot better than Harley Ride Planner. It does have limitations that I listed in the previous post.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You're right, Tyre definitely is more limited that Basecamp. Fortunately, the limitations don't bother me. I'm planning a multi-state trip now, and the waypoint limitations just mean breaking the trip down into segments rather than one long route. That's an OK compromise for me.

I'm not sure about the limitation of 47 waypoints on Tyre, at least on the current edition that I just downloaded. I just checked my route for the Cherohala Skyway, and there are 65 points in the route. It works fine, and transferred to my Garmin with no issues. I think the Garmin itself may have a 100 waypoint limit.

I did note that Basecamp ran REALLY slow on my laptop (which is an Acer only a couple years old, running Windows 7). Every time I would move the map, it took forever to refresh, to the point that I got so frustrated that I surrendered. I would note that I didn't download the maps to my computer, only to my Garmin (which I had connected to the laptop). Maybe that was the problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right, Tyre definitely is more limited that Basecamp. Fortunately, the limitations don't bother me. I'm planning a multi-state trip now, and the waypoint limitations just mean breaking the trip down into segments rather than one long route. That's an OK compromise for me.

I'm not sure about the limitation of 47 waypoints on Tyre, at least on the current edition that I just downloaded. I just checked my route for the Cherohala Skyway, and there are 65 points in the route. It works fine, and transferred to my Garmin with no issues. I think the Garmin itself may have a 100 waypoint limit.

I did note that Basecamp ran REALLY slow on my laptop (which is an Acer only a couple years old, running Windows 7). Every time I would move the map, it took forever to refresh, to the point that I got so frustrated that I surrendered. I would note that I didn't download the maps to my computer, only to my Garmin (which I had connected to the laptop). Maybe that was the problem.
You need to download maps to your computer and set up what shows up on the map for BaseCamp to run fast. What version of Tyre are you running? I got the 48 waypoints right from their website: Tyre Help

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Thanx for the detailed reply and the tutorial. I'll give it a try the next time I start fantacizing for my next trip.

2) BaseCamp does not need a WiFi signal. If you are on the road without a WiFi signal, you cannot alter your route using Tyre or Harley Ride Planner.

This assumes I have a computer with me that is loaded with Basecamp. I don't always stick to my route. Actually, I pretty much never do. My routes are kinda for reference or if I need to route myself around a city. On the road, I scroll the map to where I want to go and hit go or I enter a few intersections to plan a route.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You need to download maps to your computer and set up what shows up on the map for BaseCamp to run fast. What version of Tyre are you running? I got the 48 waypoints right from their website: Tyre Help
I believe the version I have is 6.43; it's the one that is currently on their website.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. When I created my route, I put reference points at the locations I thought were necessary in order to shape the route to go where I wanted. These were the points that you double click on the route to leave a little indicator. Once I finished the route, there were 65 of those indicators, with corresponding entries in the "waypoints" list on the left side of the screen. I physically counted them so I wasn't providing the wrong info, and there are 65 of them. I included a photo so you could see the indicators that I'm referring to as "waypoints".

I figured that was the issue, that I had to download the actual maps onto the computer. I didn't do it because my computer is pretty full, and I wasn't sure I had the available space for those files; the Basecamp website said they are pretty huge.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts