StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed some brake fluid leaking from the bleeders on both front calipers. It's a 2016, bought new in Aug 2017, with 5300 mi., and will be covered under warranty, but I wonder if anyone else has had an issue with this. The dealer suspects it could be a casting flaw, and will contact Suzuki about it.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Noticed some brake fluid leaking from the bleeders on both front calipers. It's a 2016, bought new in Aug 2017, with 5300 mi., and will be covered under warranty, but I wonder if anyone else has had an issue with this. The dealer suspects it could be a casting flaw, and will contact Suzuki about it.
I have to doubt that you were unlucky enough to end up with TWO faulty front brake calipers. The LH caliper is a different item from the RH one.
You say that it is covered by warranty so let them fix it I guess - but have you attempted to nip them up to see if they are loose? Have you bled them lately? Or done any other work? Also be aware that if the fluid is leaking out it is possible that air has leaked in.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, too new to be due for a fluid change. Brakes felt normal, even found a spot of loose gravel to test the ABS. It is an odd coincidence that both would fail at the same time.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd pull the screws and look at the tapered tips. Are they deformed? Any contamination preventing them from seating proper?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine were on a '15 wee. I wrapped them with some teflon tape and haven't had ant issues since.

Best regards,
If it weren't still under warranty that's what I would do. I'll find out in a few days what Suzuki plans to do about it. The service mgr says they must get the factory involved as it's a safety issue. Could be Suzuki will want to make sure their butt is covered by authorizing additional brake parts that aren't really needed.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
I forget when I was but I needed some welding on my luggage rack. They repaired it well and I brought a 12 pack of beer as a thanks for them, besides paying the 15 bucks for the repair.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the bike back, all is well. Brakes normal, hold pressure and stop well, abs functions normally. No one can say for sure why some fluid seeped out the threads of the bleeder. If there was a bad seal between the tip of the bleeder and the caliper, fluid would come up the center hole, as designed. They bled the brakes, and noticed when putting the rubber dust caps back on, some residual fluid, (there is a small air pocket at the bottom of the bleeder),was forced up. No defects were found in the parts. Why those few drops of fluid decided to come up after 5000 miles is unknown.
Naturally I will be watching closely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts