StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know why the gaskets are useless on Givi Trekkers.
Caught out 2 times in the past two weeks got home and 1/2 cup of water in each bag each time.Gaskets show a compression set but are still very pliable. Any fix?

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Anybody know why the gaskets are useless on Givi Trekkers.
Caught out 2 times in the past two weeks got home and 1/2 cup of water in each bag each time.Gaskets show a compression set but are still very pliable. Any fix?
I don't have an answer (and don't own these cases), but I've heard this before about that model. I'd be looking for less obvious points of ingress, especially around hardware: locks, hinges, mounting pucks, etc. Those usually rely on a simple mechanical plug, and I can easily see how they could be not-so-watertight as the parts age and wear.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I have the Trekkers (not outback's) and could see from the first look there was no way they would be waterproof.

Too many seams and the main closing clip/lock is a real low point. (will collect water)

I don't know how old yours are but I believe the first models had less closure clips, I have the later ones & they still leak.

My bride loves to over pack so she packs in individual zip lock bags, she squeezes out all air to fit more stuff in and keep the water out.

I just use one big bag to keep thing dry.

A few years back I purchased some waterproof material & had plans to make covers but I never got around to it.

On eBay you can purchase liners that claim to be water-resistant ? they look like they take up some space and my bride would not be happy giving any up.

Pannier liner bag inner bag luggage bag to fit GIVI TREKKER 33/46 LITRE TOP BOX | eBay

Reactions: JBNY

·
Registered
2014 DL 650, 2014 KLX250s
34 Posts
If the leakage does turn out to be from the fittings / seams; perhaps a few coats of FlexSeal around the suspect areas (interior). Despite the cheesy commercials, the stuff does work.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
IN the case of the regular Trekkers I would look at the screws that hold the plastic grid on the outside of the boxes. I personally have not had issues with mine, but if you want less places to leak the Kappa version do not have the secondary opening mode and only open in suitcase mode. I've got the 46L Kappa version on my FJR and the 33L Givi version on my FZ1. The secondary opening mode is pretty useless in my opinion.

x2 on the liners
I've got the Kappa version - work great and expand to fit the 46L

You can see both versions of the panniers in this picture. The Kappa are called Garda

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

You can see the liners hanging in the background here
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IN the case of the regular Trekkers I would look at the screws that hold the plastic grid on the outside of the boxes. I personally have not had issues with mine, but if you want less places to leak the Kappa version do not have the secondary opening mode and only open in suitcase mode. I've got the 46L Kappa version on my FJR and the 33L Givi version on my FZ1. The secondary opening mode is pretty useless in my opinion.

x2 on the liners
I've got the Kappa version - work great and expand to fit the 46L
[/URL]

You can see both versions of the panniers in this picture. The Kappa are called Garda

View attachment 293070
You can see the liners hanging in the background here
View attachment 293071
Thanks everyone. I thought about liners but then realized there will still be a half cup of water in them anyway and the liner exterior will be wet as well.
I got closed cell neoprene 1/16 thick with Adhesive and have made a secondary gasket out board of the hard ridge that seats with the stock gasket.
I will see how it goes

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Are yours just Trekkers or are they the outback's ?

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
They are trekker outbacks
Ah - completely different thing. Don't know why they reused the name when they came out with the big silver boxes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts