StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally had the time to pull my tank off and I found what appears to be the culprit of my gas leak. Looks like it's leaking from the seam.
Does anyone know a good way to fix this or am I looking at having to replace the tank?
Also...what the heck is that red crap?? :surprise:

Thanks y'all!

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't know what the red crap is but if that's the outside of the tank what the hell does the inside look like?

I think you will be needing a replacement tank but you may also be able to do a short term repair with some JB Weld or whatever.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The red crap is to stop rust I would think.

There are putties on the market that will seal a hole and last a lifetime but a seam can be a hole other problem, the leak can just keep growing over time or it may never grow at all.

Sealing the tank from the inside is a proven fix if you follow the instruction to the letter.

Now the decision is do you have the time, the place and the skills required to seal the tank.

Then you would need to look at the cost, tank sealer and your time verse a replacement tank.

Lets face it that tank has seen better days.....

Reactions: Sage77

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I think I'd start out with the cheapest solution: a Tank Weld kit from JB Weld. It's about 12 bucks from Amazon. It's basically just SteelStik two part epoxy putty plus some fiberglass mesh for added strength. If it's leaking along a weld seam, the mesh should help seal it better.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks y'all for the suggestions. I'm going to get that tank weld to get the leak fixed for now and start looking for a replacement tank. As @Rolex said...that tank has seen better days. lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had great success with pin hole leaks or small leaks at seams using KBS

Look up kbs-coatings Dot com

Its not the cheapest solution and it is somewhat time and labor intensive but you should never have to think about the tank again. I dont know what a new tank cost but the coating should certainly be cheaper than a new tank .. I am guessing

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I would look at the inside of the tank also. The tank could be passing debris into the fuel system and take out a lot of expensive parts in the process.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
If I could buy another decent tank for $250, I would jump on it. Especially if you got lucky and found one where the color matched or even was a nice offsetting color.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
$250.....I should have never given that Wee tank away. :furious:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had great success with pin hole leaks or small leaks at seams using KBS

Look up kbs-coatings Dot com

Its not the cheapest solution and it is somewhat time and labor intensive but you should never have to think about the tank again. I dont know what a new tank cost but the coating should certainly be cheaper than a new tank .. I am guessing
Dude, thanks. I was going to buy another tank, but couldn't really find one for less than $200. This product is about $50. Looks really good, too. You used this with no issues?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would look at the inside of the tank also. The tank could be passing debris into the fuel system and take out a lot of expensive parts in the process.
What do you use to look inside the tank? I took a quick look at the sides with my camera but it doesn't get really in depth, ya know?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$250.....I should have never given that Wee tank away. :furious:
Gave away?? :surprise:
What color was it? :serious:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It was black.

It had one very small ding from my right knee.

A friend had a friend that was building Frankenstein bike (not a strom) form anything he could get his hands on, my friend asked if I had anything I could contribute ?

I piled stuff up outside my home, that included the tank and a few days later it was gone to new home, I never met the man and have never seen the bike.

I don't sell stuff, I prefer to just give it away.

Sorry if that is rubbing salt into your wounds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was black.

I don't sell stuff, I prefer to just give it away.

Sorry if that is rubbing salt into your wounds.
No, no...lol. It's just...I would have bought it from you. :grin2:
Regardless, your buddy got a tank to use so it didn't go to waste...so, win! :wink2:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I imagine shipping a tank from AUS to USA would be cost prohibitive. I recently sent a padded envelope of gaskets to AUS and it was over $20 USD for parcel post aka "slow boat". Imagine a 18 x 18 x 30 package.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Sage77, I have a tank from an 07 if you're interested. It has been sitting in my barn with a coating of oil on the inside to keep it in good shape. Let me know if the treatment doesn't work for you and we can work something out.

Good luck however you proceed.

Reactions: Sage77
1 - 20 of 23 Posts