StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting up with the occasion smell of petrol in the garage I finally decided to investigate.I pulled the black plastic off the right side of the tank and near the bottom of the tank,a bloody pinhole.If I wiped the fuel away I can just watch fuel reappear ever so slowly.Now the question is,is it possible to patch the hole from the outside or do I need to re-coat the inside.I did the re-coat thing about 10yrs ago on a Triumph trophy Tank and found it absolutely NO FUN at all. I'm hoping the wealth of knowledge on the forum may come up with an easier solution.I will pull the tank off and strip it anyway,maybe that will answer the question for me. Thanks in advance for any help or miraculous cures.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Plain old bath soap can stop it leaking as a temporary measure. Just rub it on dry of fuel. Araldite, Plastic steel or any of those tubes that you mix up from your auto store will fix it permenantely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the tank off this afternoon and it looks like it may have been re coated before. There's an Ausi mob who make a kit for this job and according to their literature I may have to do the whole process again,yuck.I think I will investigate one:furious: of the other options.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
\i know Araldite but not plastic steel.I assume you would rub the tank back to bare metal to use this stuff,wouldn't matter ,you wouldn't see it anyway.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Reactions: ozbass17

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
Fels Naptha used to be a go to soap for stopping a gas tank leak.
You could try taking the tank off and putting it on it's side and clean up the are and put a patch of JB Weld on it?

I JB Welded a crack in the valve cover of BMW. It stayed sealed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A pin hole at the bottom of the tank (where water accumulates) tells me that you are likely rotting outward. I don't know much about recoating the inside but if a tank can be purchased reasonably, IMO, that is the way to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a look at a couple of other forums and it seems the old fashioned soldering is another alternative.It would probably fill the pinhole but I cant tell what the inside looks like at that spot.One of the epoxy patches could be better,could cover a bigger area around the hole?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Epoxy would do it -- there's even a formula meant specifically for metal gas tanks. If you don't mind sanding off the paint surrounding the leak, epoxy will do a great job.

Or it would, if that one hole was the end of it.

The trouble is that you have a lot more rot underway inside that tank under the old liner. If there's one pinhole leak from corrosion, there's inevitably a lot more metal nearby that's getting dangerously thin.

You need to find a gas tank.

I mean, it's only six gallons of highly flammable explosive two inches from your crotch... :yikes:

Reactions: Hatchi and notacop

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
Not common for these tanks to do this. Tells me there has been severe corrosion issues before. I don't think they will stop with this pinhole.

My advice would be to put something like JB Weld on it for the time it takes you to source a replacement tank!

Reactions: Hatchi

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
It was only a few months back I gave a Black Wee tank away for free, got sick of holding onto it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought some Permatex Fuel Tank repair at the local spare parts shop so I'm giving that a try.I had a good look around the bottom of the tank and found and found 2 more tiny holes under the paint so I rubbed them back and filled them as well.I'm going to fit a new air filter and some iridium plugs while the the things in bits,may as well go all the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen that add Brockie ,my son in law who lives up that way is going to have a look at one the right colour that they have.He has one those camera on a stick things so he can have a look inside.If its any good he will buy it for me and bring it down at christmas when he comes,they want $80 to post it.

·
Administrator
6,155 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts