StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I layed down my 650 yesterday in a damp slow speed down hill turn. Slid into a ditch and scratched the left side fairing over about 40% of its side area. Not too deep and no dents or cracks. Can the plastic be wet sanded and polished? Is there a clear coat over the plastic? I have auto paint spray equipment so I can do the work easily. The decals pretty shot so I would like to remove them both. Any suggestions on the best way to remove these?

Btw, I have Motech engine guards and they did a pretty good job. If I had not gone into the ditch, which pretty much swallowed the bike, I think the bars would have kept all damage away from fairing. In any case I am planning to weld another higher bar section to these Motechs. Now that one is very scratced I don't mind refinishing both after the welding. Are the Motech bars powder coated or painted?

About me, a twisted knee and a bit of road rash. My heavy Joe Rocket suit, leather gloves and helmet did their job.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi 58fleetside

I have the motech bars and dropped my bike in a parking lot on the left side. The bars saved the faring from any damage but now the left bar is pushed in about an inch. I was surprised that the bars moved so much with such a minor impact. Did your left side bar get push in also ? Any idea how to pull it back out without removing the crash bar. You mentioned welding another higher bar section to the motech. Could you post some pics and a little narrative when your done.

Also, the ball end of the clutch lever broke off from the fall. At first I was really upset about the lever but after some more inspection I noticed that the brake lever has a notched on the end. It appears it is designed to break off to save the lever from breaking off at the pivot point. The notched end worked well. I was able to use the clutch lever even without the ball end.

Glad to hear your injuries were not too bad.

Pics of crash bar and mirror
http://wasabi.smugmug.com/gallery/index.mg?logOut=1&AlbumID=424156&Page=14&ImageID=17045130

Thanks

Bill

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bill,

My Motech bars do not seem to be bent. I wish I knew the best way to straighten them once bent. I would think it would be easier on the bike by pulling but I don't know if that would cause other damage. Off the bike I think it would be difficult to maintain alignment of bars to get a good fit when going back on.

I will post photos of my "Extended Motechs" when I get them done. For now I am thinking of painting some ghost flames on my fairing to cover the scratches.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Howdy fellow Arlingtonite,

I dropped my 650 on the right side in January & bent the brake lever at the notch point - it didn't snap off. I have a replacement but the lever is usable so I'll save it for the "next time". I didn't have the Motech bars on mine back then.

From your pics, the 1000 bars look a little longer than the 650s but maybe it is the angle - maybe that is why they bent...

Looks like you didn't come out too badly...

Stephen, did you have to replace any of your equipment?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fairing may someday get replaced. I will probably do something creative with paint for now. Also, my left front turn indicator housing cracked. I will super glue that for now and most likely replace it at a later date, as well.

Stephen

Gilk51 said:
Stephen, did you have to replace any of your equipment?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts