StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested, and if the weather stays above zero(ish), I was hoping to get out for a ride up to Algonquin park either shortly before or after x-mas.
I've never been up for a ride to Algonquin so late in the year and figured this might be as good a year as any to snap a few pics.

As long as the roads are dry - I'll go. Heated gear, and or a good cold tolerance would be a must if anyone wants to join, because we can't be stopping every 30 minutes to warm up:fineprint:

I'm coming from Mississauga, so I think it would be an 8 hour day for me: 8am-4pm. No idea on the route yet, but the less hwy the better.

I'm not firm on the dates, but so far I think I'm free:
Dec 23, 28, 29, 30
Jan 2, 3

What say you?

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
It certainly has been wonderful riding this December!

Be careful.. a driver got killed last night near Haliburton when he hit a moose. I think they are out and about right now.

..Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
Twas the week or so before Christmas.....

I wouldn't mind going. I've been out a dozen times in the past week.
To be honest, the weather is unpredictable this time of year and I'd be a little leary about a ride to Algonquin. With wet roads, all you need is a temperature drop and a bit of wind. I got caught in a blizzard last year with a 40 km ride to do. It was no fun.
Just a warning to be extra cautious about picking the right day. If I go, I would be a 'last minute add-on'...weather permitting. I'm in Midland, On.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up Tom.

I won't go if I don't think it is safe to ride or if there is high possibility of back ice, wet leaves around the freezing mark, etc...
Probably would have meeting spots around Innisfil and/or Port Perry - one spot to start the ride and one spot to finish the ride.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I'd be interested but I am in kingston so I'd likely be doing it in the opposite direction so not likely to work. I may go on my own though. I was thinking about this ride :)

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
If I get my CalSci screen I might be interested in taking the CBF on a longer jaunt than to the forks.
Was okay today at 5c and wettish this aft.

Looks good from the long range...I'm definitely doing a Solstice ride

Would you do slab to Algonquin then back roads back or??

Need to do something about keeping feet warm but seems less of an issue on the CFB than the Wee.

heated gloves and some layers under the Scott Jacket seems fine....might even try out the liner for the new Airglides.

Looks to be either

sunny and dry and chillier
or
warm and wetter.

Had both today ....gorgeous in the morning ...sun and warm ....but then wet and chillier in the after ...go figure.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you do slab to Algonquin then back roads back or??
The only slab I was hoping for would be south of Gravenhurst along the 400 and south/west of Port Perry. I was thinking about backroads everywhere else - it will take a bit more time, but I'd much rather skip the slab.

Something like: https://goo.gl/maps/2MuXZxqJARB2 - might be a bit long, but I'll see how the weather shapes up and then plan accordingly.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I'm not complaining about no slab...just last time I did Algonquin on a solo ride I slabbed up, had coffee at the Coffee Cabin in Huntsville and then went about half way into Algonquin and headed home - part slab and then slid West to Belfountain and is was a lot longer day in October and still got in in the dark.

Thinking at winter solstice there is not much of riding day. Sunrise is 7.30 and sunset 4.30

·
Registered
281 Posts
lets wait and see what the the weather gurus have to say. If it is 14 on the 25th..... Then I am in along with the mrs.....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely can't go on the 25th. I'll probably end up going the week after or the 1st weekend in January.
And yes Mac, I agree that I will probably get home after dark, especially if I try to squeeze in some nice roads.
To make up for that, I'll probably try to start the ride earlier and pack a lunch instead of a longer sit down.
I was planning on riding into the park from one end and out the other side.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
That was my intention too back in October
That said I got off late that day and took a break at Coffee Cabin to dry off and warm up. I came into the Forks about 7pm.

Skipped today...just not appealing and too busy. Tomorrow morning looks okay - maybe jump off early for once since I'll be going counter traffic.

Sharp drop in temps on Sat - 28th I have a dentist appointment - of COURSE it's the warmest day....

My CalSci screen arrives Monday so that might extend my riding window.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
It's quite nice out this morning!

The roads are a bit damp but it was +6 on my ride in t owork. The roads were drying up quickly and the sun is out here in Vaughn. You guys that have free time should go for a ride!

..Tom

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So December 24th it is for me - if anyone wants to join, you are more than welcome to.
Looks like temps will be around 10deg!!
I absolutely have to be home by 4:30, so I'm leaving Mississauga by 7am latest.
Meet up at Innisfil Shell/Tim's and riding out by 8am.
Lunch in Algonquin Park or nearby - I'm bringing a lunch and will find a scenic spot to eat.
Route: https://goo.gl/maps/HkuNRPt9zKE2
Cheers!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry man, Can't make it this time. Perhaps we'll get a warm spell in January. As long as the roads are clear and the sun is out.
Have a great run to Algonquin. Ride safe, and Merry Christmas to all the Troopers and their families!

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
What a fantastic ride for the shortest day of the year.....really enjoyed the riding on the Speyside backroads around Guelph then home.....problably 150 km ...maybe a bit more ...and actually had fun on the back roads not just enduring it. SHowed 14 on one of the road side signs and felt even warmer. Just heated liners and there was even some sun for parts.......

Merrie Solstice

damn ....what a fine day :grin2:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
So December 24th it is for me - if anyone wants to join, you are more than welcome to.
Looks like temps will be around 10deg!!
I absolutely have to be home by 4:30, so I'm leaving Mississauga by 7am latest.
Meet up at Innisfil Shell/Tim's and riding out by 8am.
Lunch in Algonquin Park or nearby - I'm bringing a lunch and will find a scenic spot to eat.
Route: https://goo.gl/maps/HkuNRPt9zKE2
Cheers!
Hey Shane, I'm planning on riding the park on the 24th as well so maybe i'll see you there. My route will be the opposite direction of yours. I'll be packing a lunch as well, so if we happen to cross paths i'll gladly have lunch with you:

https://goo.gl/maps/kuELYEXUNTr

feel free to text me 613,539.5628 I need to be home around 4:30 or 5 for Christmas eve as well.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Mike, that's awesome. If no one replies to my post (also posted in another forum), then I'll be riding solo and can met up with you somewhere for sure. I can also do my route backwards and start much further east so we could even meet up in Bancroft or something and then ride through the park and part ways near Haliburton or again in Bancroft...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts