StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few years now I have been using a free password manager. lastpass.com but have so far ignored that my paid subscription to Kaspersky offers me the same service.

Is it worthwhile changing all my passwords from Lastpass to Kapersky?

You would think that they would surely be more secure there, but I now have 50 passwords. Don't ask, a few email addresses, ebay and AliExpress, a few interest groups, a few online retailers, my electricity and phone, magazine subscriptions, my pension holder and my government log-on for support etc. etc. It just never stops.

One thing I know is that you cannot use the same one or two for all. The other is that NOWHERE are my banking details listed - and that includes my PC, my desk or online.

So - leave things as they are, or will they be safer with Kaspersky?

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lastpass is a highly rated program. If you're used to it, I would keep it. Kaspersky may go away if you switch to another security system. Also, switching from one to another can create vulnerabilities during the switchover, depending on how you do it. I have used the free Password Safe program for about 15 years. I have over 600 passwords in it and I would not want to port all that over to a new program.

·
Registered
14,237 Posts
My Kapersky subscription through BestBuy and the Geek Squad was changed to another software company. They decided it was too Russian or something.
Personally I wouldn't trust storing my passwords in anything other than the little book I have in my desk.
Too much dependency on these electronic devices to be our brain.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would think twice about continuing w/ Kaspersky... Russian lab, and while they haven't been banned (yet) from retail sales in the US, there is more than one jaundiced eye looking in their direction... Giving them my passwords is the *last* thing I'd do...

Switch to Webroot, or PCMatic, or something a bit more local...
Lastpass, or Dashlane is fine to keep...

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it's not broken why fix it? That said, my place of employment offers McAfee TrueKey which I have been happy with. Multi-factorial authentication to get into it, works across multiple platforms and generates strong, unique passwords for you for each account.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
As others have noted, Lastpass is highly rated. If happy with it, I would continue. I use Keepass 2 with the database only stored locally on my PC. Like you no financial info is stored in or on either.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll second the use of the free password safe program. I'm not interested in any password manager that is over a network. I'm sure its very secure, but I tend on the paranoid side when dealing with passwords. Password Safe is just a program on the computer with an encrypted file. Anything can be broken, so you have to measure your own risk.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'll second the use of the free password safe program. I'm not interested in any password manager that is over a network. I'm sure its very secure, but I tend on the paranoid side when dealing with passwords. Password Safe is just a program on the computer with an encrypted file. Anything can be broken, so you have to measure your own risk.
You make a great point... Cloud based storage is more susceptible to attacks, and therefore a bit more risky, especially if you're not using a private VPN to send all your sensitive info back and forth... UNLESS, your own in-home network is not malware / firewall protected, with no exposed ports...

Personally, I use a simple passworded Excel Spreadsheet, that uses 256-bit AES encryption (the same level that ransomware uses), with a very strong password/passphrase...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts