StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to watch one since I was just a wee lad.. and it's time to put up or shut up since it's the last hoorah.

This is still a rough idea since I'll have to get a day off but I think it will work out.

Plan will be for me to leave calabash NC sometime around 7pm on thursday (the 7th) and do the 9 hours down to the cape that afternoon/night. (or within an hour or so anyway)

Find someplace to crash and maybe get a little nap in and then go watch the launch.

Stay somewhere in FLA friday night and come back home saturday.

Anybody interested in coming along or meeting up along the way?

I won't be on a Vstrom.. but it will be a bike.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Anybody that has the chance should do it, make it happen. I've had the good fortune to witness two launches, one in day light and one at night. It is an unbelievable feeling. As a launch guest of one of the Astronauts on board, I had the best view possible, but it will be an awesome feeling wherever you are.

It's the last one, end of an era, and all that. Do it, do it, do it!!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
It is well worth seeing if you never have before. If you want to have a better chance of actually experiencing the launch you might need to be prepared to stay and extra day or two. The launches are often delayed for any number of reasons (gremlin, weather). Also it's going to be crowded so get to a good viewing spot early. Along the Indian River in Titusville or one of the causeways leading to Merritt Island.

Cheers,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Would be an 11 hour ride for me from Nashville. Just got the DL-1000 and I don't think my butt would take that much abuse so soon. lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
If anybody bikes in, be careful. Traffic after the launch is always nuts. It will be much worse with 700,000 to 1,000,000 people this launch. Honestly, bring a book and wait for everyone else to leave for 2 hours. If you cant find a hotel, look into camping at one of the state parks nearby. RV's are going to eat up spaces there fast. If that doesn't work, Ocala National Forest is about 2 hours away. I'm betting hotels in Orlando will be scarce.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I've wanted to watch one since I was just a wee lad.. and it's time to put up or shut up since it's the last hoorah.

This is still a rough idea since I'll have to get a day off but I think it will work out.

Plan will be for me to leave calabash NC sometime around 7pm on thursday (the 7th) and do the 9 hours down to the cape that afternoon/night. (or within an hour or so anyway)

Find someplace to crash and maybe get a little nap in and then go watch the launch.

Stay somewhere in FLA friday night and come back home saturday.

Anybody interested in coming along or meeting up along the way?

I won't be on a Vstrom.. but it will be a bike.

I'm planning to drive up to Mom's house for the launch. She lives across the Indian River from Kennedy Space Center, just south of Titusville. You could camp in her yard (it's huge) or maybe even crash on the floor in her place. Send me a PM if you're interested, but do it soon because I'll be offline from tomorrow afternoon on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts